Thailand reports 24,892 new COVID-19 cases, 97 deaths, 27,254 recoveries

webfact

7 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

It's unclear how many of those flu deaths were really Covid. 

Or how many others listed as died of covid because they died of other causes but also tested positive for covid within 28 days of death (what a ridiculous rule).

I still remember reading about the guy who ran his motorcycle into a tree and died, listed as covid death because he tested positive lol

3 hours ago, sungod said:

I see some posters (usually retired and financially secure with no children of school age) keep banging the drum that opening up is too risky. Living in their own bubble they fail to understand economies and people's livelihoods have been decimated, school children have been deprived of an education. We have vaccines so its time to move on.

The economy is a big issue for sure. Up til now the brunt of the cost of covid has been on the population.  But now there is systemic risk to the Thai economy- a couple of banks were downgraded last week.  Deprivation will come with health consequences too.  This business of saving lives isn't the simple equation many people think.  I'm not sure I'd want to take a pop at older people though.

When restrictions are eased deaths will eventually double. I guess many Europeans, who have experienced numerous bad flu years, will look at daily deaths of 100 and 200 and possibly not flinch. However, if the stats are to be believed, Thailand doesn't suffer nearly so many flu deaths, or a definitive flu season.  So, it's a hard sell.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Or how many others listed as died of covid because they died of other causes but also tested positive for covid within 28 days of death (what a ridiculous rule).

AFAIK, Thailand has never tallied their COVID deaths based on that kind of a policy. You're talking about other countries.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I still remember reading about the guy who ran his motorcycle into a tree and died, listed as covid death because he tested positive lol

I don't believe that has ever happened in Thailand but the onus is on you to back the claim up. There were 20 or 30 people dying each day at home because the hospitals were full in the Delta wave.

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I don't believe that has ever happened in Thailand but the onus is on you to back the claim up. There were 20 or 30 people dying each day at home because the hospitals were full in the Delta wave.

Lol my post was in response to this post which implied  many of the 100k listed flu deaths in Thailand were actually covid. Why aren't you asking him to back his claim up...

30 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

It's unclear how many of those flu deaths were really Covid. 

Edited by aussiexpat

And now another entrant in the COVID alphabet soup contest -- XE.

(I wonder if there will end up being an XO strain, which might prove very popular in Thailand! ????  ):

"The UK Health Services Agency said Omicron XE is 10% more transmissible than BA.2 and 43% more transmissible than the original Omicron (BA.1) variant."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

Just now, aussiexpat said:

Lol my post was in response to this post which implied  the listed flu deaths in Thailand were actually covid. Why aren't you asking him to back his claim up...

No need, I've already posted peer reviewed studies on flu deaths in Thailand which are around 4,000 per year, not 45,000

21 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

No need, I've already posted peer reviewed studies on flu deaths in Thailand which are around 4,000 per year, not 45,000

The site linked above says over 100,000 flu deaths in Thailand in last 2 years compared to 25,000 covid

Screenshot_20220404-085439_Samsung Internet.jpg

17 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

The site linked above says over 100,000 flu deaths in Thailand compared to 25,000 covid

Screenshot_20220404-085439_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ok so you obviously don't follow these threads daily as this was posted yesterday. In reference to that misleading site.

"Well lets put it this way. The link supplied which is what I was referring to is highly misleading, there is no data by WHO to back it up as claimed and also does not distinguish between flu and other forms of pneumonia and comes up with a figure of around 45k

WHO estimates yearly worldwide flu deaths as between 290k - 650k

If we say an average 500k a year worldwide to make numbers simpler then that would mean Thailand has 9% of the worlds flu cases each year. Next comes logic and simple maths to say thats impossible.

Although true its not so easy to distinguish in Thailand unless flu tests are actually carried out on those who die. The actual number averages around 4,000 deaths yearly in Thailand for flu.

Fortunately we have the world of academia that have carried out full peer reviewed scientific studies in Thailand for all influenza related deaths including all causes.

2005 - 2009 

On average, 6 people in every 100,000 were estimated to die each year in Thailand as a result of seasonal influenza, representing 4,000 deaths per year.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275363294_Mortality_Attributable_to_Seasonal_Influenza_A_and_B_Infections_in_Thailand_2005-2009_A_Longitudinal_Study

2006 - 2011

The average annual influenza-associated mortality per 100 000 persons was 4·0 (so less than the above study of 4,000 yearly deaths)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4605410/"

• Like 2

We've now officially entered the Twilight Zone of COVID stats:

--Thailand now ranks 10th among all countries based on its total number of COVID cases in the past week.

--Thailand has had more total official COVID cases in the past week than the United States, a country with almost five times its population, but fewer than the UK with a comparable population.

--Thailand's per capita rate of new COVID cases during the past week (2,603 per 1 mn population) is five times that of the U.S. (500), but almost half of the UK's per capita case rate (4,838).

--But Thailand is looking better when it comes to COVID deaths in the past week per 1 mn population:

--Thailand -- 9

--U.S. -- 10

--U.K. -- 14

That ranking could change soon, however, as COVID deaths in the U.S. have continued falling in recent weeks, while those in Thailand have been steadily rising.

1078367328_IntlComparisons2022-04-04.jpg.d57399f46805bd13447ddf0df4f7bba3.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106142991004034/535268771424785/?type=3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

We've now officially entered the Twilight Zone of COVID stats:

--Thailand now ranks 10th among all countries based on its total number of COVID cases in the past week.

--Thailand has had more total official COVID cases in the past week than the United States, a country with almost five times its population, but fewer than the UK with a comparable population.

--Thailand's per capita rate of new COVID cases during the past week (2,603 per 1 mn population) is five times that of the U.S. (500), but almost half of the UK's per capita case rate (4,838).

--But Thailand is looking better when it comes to COVID deaths in the past week per 1 mn population:

--Thailand -- 9

--U.S. -- 10

--U.K. -- 14

That ranking could change soon, however, as COVID deaths in the U.S. have continued falling in recent weeks, while those in Thailand have been steadily rising.

1078367328_IntlComparisons2022-04-04.jpg.d57399f46805bd13447ddf0df4f7bba3.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106142991004034/535268771424785/?type=3

Some countries, eg, the UK, are abandoning testing for screening purposes, preferring to do weekly sampling of the population to assess covid numbers.  UK currently is estimated to have around 4.9 million infections according to ONS figures.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

I actually find it, well kind of find it, fascinating to see the strange slow upward curve we are on versus how many of the other countries cases went skyward to a sharp point then downward again before they started upward as the new variant started hitting the majority of the unvaccinated and placing them in hospitals.  Sure there have been breakthrough cases, the GF and Myself being just two of many, for those vaccinated and boosted.  However, being vaccinated and boosted allowed me to recover at home instead of being hospitalized or becoming a statistic.

The gist of the issue is that we are still on a slow upward trend as far as the serious cases, those hospitalized and those intubated, while the daily cases look like we are looking at a cardiogram with the up and down waves.  Why are we seeing this here in Thailand versus the other countries, well one reason is a lack of true and transparent testing as many of us have been saying since day one, and then a lack of adding in the ATK tests, and many not reporting the positive results out of fear of what may happen to them based upon the stories.  We no longer hear of bubble and seal locations, or entire markets being shut for a few days while they are cleaned and vendors quarantined.  This Omicron moves quickly and stealthily throughout the communities and unfortunately many folks need to continue working and thus it continues moving onwards.

I just read another OP where we now have the XJ variant circulating and it was found in a delivery person.  As I state in another post the Virus will be here for sometime and it will keep on mutating.  Opening up without some kind of restrictions in place and people behaving responsibly will just keep this thing mutating and recycling as many a virus does.  Do we need to keep the country shuttered no we do not but ensuring the population gets the needed boosters and even primary vaccinations is definitely what is needed.  The I'm alright Jack crowd that does not want a vaccine and thinks they can whether the storm using medication that has now been proven to not work is up to them.  However, if the unvaccinated want to partake in daily activities then they need to be responsible and stop telling the world I can do what I want and how I want because unfortunately they affect others.  Selfish attitudes are a dime a dozen, and for me those are the types of people I avoid like the plaque.  All I can hope is that everyone does there best to ensure they are safe as well as the people they are around.

Hmm....I was kind of thinking the same.  There is no ducking Omicron- it will have its way, sooner or later.  On the present trajectory Thailand will lose all ways up.

Anyway, here's the Chonburi excerpt for today's figures:

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/04/chonburi-announces-1448-new-and-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-and-three-new-deaths/

Three people were listed as being in serious condition in Chonburi currently, either on a ventilator or with pneumonia. Two of them were not vaccinated. According to the Chonburi Department of Public Health, the vast majority of recent cases are mild or asymptomatic at 99.688 percent.

The three new deaths were aged 54,71, and 81 with severe personal health problems and pre-existing conditions. One of them was not vaccinated.

I've posted 4 or 5 of these over the last week. They all read about the same- with severe personal health problems featuring, and to some extent advanced age also playing a part, which is worrying because last time I heard 2 million older people nationwide have still not been vaccinated.
Edited by mommysboy

4 hours ago, sungod said:

Your train will never leave......

My train will leave when the numbers of serious COVID hospitalizations and intubations, and new daily COVID deaths, start declining on a consistent basis, instead of continually reaching new yearly highs almost every day.

My COVID opinions, very simply, are based on what's happening with those key stats, instead of simply ignoring them.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Oh stop it......

We also have stats where Covid is listed on the death certificate and hence a doctor has determined Covid as the cause ... these numbers are actually slightly higher than the deaths where a positive Covid test was made within 28 days. 

As for that silly motorcycle nonsense, the guy is not listed as a Covid death, but as someone who died who had a positive test within the last 28 days... 

Stop reading comics....

• Thanks 1

COVID-19: Thailand reports 21,088 new coronavirus cases, 91 deaths, 27,519 recoveries

COV25 copy 2.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Tuesday (April 5) reported 21,088 new COVID-19 cases, 27,519 recoveries and 91 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1255717-covid-19-thailand-reports-21088-new-coronavirus-cases-91-deaths-27519-recoveries/

//CLOSED//

/Admin