Daily Dangerous things you witness.

Iamfalang

12 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Sounds like you should not have a child in Thailand. I often thought it's a bad idea. 

IMO, Thailand is a superb place to bring up children, especially in their first 10 years or so................for me, it was an amazing experience and according to my now grown up daughter which is the true litmus test, I guess......................"just the best life"............................................... and you know what, I can't ever remember encountering any miserable kids, something I can't say about the UK................................

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Daily Dangerous things you witness.

What have you seen?

Where are you from, take a look at its crime.

If you're concerned, Thailand probably isn't for you, have you thought about going back home? 

I work offshore, a colleague of mine had to move back to the UK with his Thai wife and kids after losing his offshore work. He was telling me of his nightmare, the crime, kids carrying knives, stabbing other kids, he is so sad having to leave Thailand. 

I'm Australian, I read the problems, the crime, the mess everyday of Australia and it's issues. 

I'm so lucky to be living here in Thailand. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bojo said:

IMO, Thailand is a superb place to bring up children, especially in their first 10 years or so................for me, it was an amazing experience and according to my now grown up daughter which is the true litmus test, I guess......................"just the best life"............................................... and you know what, I can't ever remember encountering any miserable kids, something I can't say about the UK................................

Kids need to go to a good school from 4 to 10 years old especially. That is where they will fall behind in the world of educated in Thailand or it will cost quite a lot of $$ here and often just okay education. In the states and probably in the UK so many suburbs have incredibly good public/ free school systems. 

22 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Got a metal kettle and toaster.......both fitted with two pin plugs.

So, you have three pin outlets with real earth grounds in your house? Are you sure? Good for you, it's too rare here.

Because I had to recently repair the electric on my pool house I was momentarily pleased to see a green ground wire throughout the system only to find later that it was not actually connected to an earth ground.

Amazing Thailand.

Edited by RocketDog
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Blowing the horn at a Thai driver is a danger in itself !

I blow my horn on my motorbike at every motorbike and vehicle which comes up towards me on the wrong side of the road.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Sounds like you should not have a child in Thailand. I often thought it's a bad idea. 

A rather unimaginative, dumb trollish comment.... Do you think recognising and being aware that there are risks around us means we should avoid something all together?

Your comment could be taken to anything... ‘sounds like you should not be driving in Thailand’ (because I comment on dangerous driving). 

Perhaps you go through life blissfully ignorant of your surroundings....   thats great - others notice things.

3 hours ago, RocketDog said:

So, you have three pin outlets with real earth grounds in your house? Are you sure? Good for you, it's too rare here.

Because I had to recently repair the electric on my pool house I was momentarily pleased to see a green ground wire throughout the system only to find later that it was not actually connected to an earth ground.

Amazing Thailand.

Funnily enough the wife's new house was wired up yesterday and I asked her to ask the sparky where does everything go to earth.......no doubt a lot was lost in translation......but all he was prepared to do was wave vaguely at the ground.

Going to see if I can find a 'qualified' electrician to check it all out before we move in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Kids need to go to a good school from 4 to 10 years old especially. That is where they will fall behind in the world of educated in Thailand or it will cost quite a lot of $$ here and often just okay education. In the states and probably in the UK so many suburbs have incredibly good public/ free school systems. 

Your opening sentance very true and the rest we should probably discuss in one of AN's 'Education threads'..............................................quite an involved and passionate topic.................................................

On 4/6/2022 at 5:16 PM, swm59nj said:

But I guess if you hate your own country so much.  And / or couldn’t make it there financially.  I understand why you would be bitter.

In my opinion, it isn't that, it's the fact that some people have their ego heavily invested in living in Thailand and Thailand being better than other countries is part of that investment.  When people say anything negative about Thailand, it's like they are attacking their identity, so they feel they have to defend the place and attack Western countries.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I blow my horn on my motorbike at every motorbike and vehicle which comes up towards me on the wrong side of the road.

and you're still alive?!

Lucky guy. Can I use your birthday for a lottery ticket?

• Haha 1

On 4/6/2022 at 6:20 PM, tracker1 said:

Blowing the horn at a Thai driver is a danger in itself !

Quite agree, many Thais can take offense and some have guns in their glove-boxes.

I still remember my driving instructor when I was training for my driver's license at age 18. I blew my horn at another car, and he said you should never need to use the horn. When I asked why, he said you're the one who put yourself in an unsafe position if you needed to use it.

• Like 1

1. Locals/migrant workers using weed eaters w/o safety/face  guards on the machinery 

2. watching employees pump gas w/o vapor control devices in gas stations

3. Watching young kids swim (len naam ) w/o supervision 

4. watching any worker do electrical wiring

5. Using bamboo ladders and scaffolding for anything

6. trash workers picking recyclables from general garbage w/o PPE 

7.  breathing in Chiang Mai in March/April 

Edited by cardinalblue

On 4/6/2022 at 6:31 PM, Gottfrid said:

Nope, it wasn´t! Here is some numbers for you. (Not seen any new number either, but as you said was I can counter it)

Yes it was. Starting a decade or so back, Thailand murder rate miraculously declined incrementally each year until, it finally dipped below the USA's per capita murder rate. Thailand in fact had a higher per capita rate than the US for most of the last two decades. In actual fact, many in Thailand are skeptical of that incremental drop each year. It feels 'manufactured'. However it does make one feel good, isn't that what its all about?! 

* NOTE USA rate, is not the same as USA Virgin Islands, as your first link tries to suggest.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

Yes it was. Starting a decade or so back, Thailand murder rate miraculously declined incrementally each year until, it finally dipped below the USA's per capita murder rate. Thailand in fact had a higher per capita rate than the US for most of the last two decades. In actual fact, many in Thailand are skeptical of that incremental drop each year. It feels 'manufactured'. However it does make one feel good, isn't that what its all about?! 

* NOTE USA rate, is not the same as USA Virgin Islands, as your first link tries to suggest.

Yeah, and you must be from USA, as you react the way you do to that you are no longer better. Then you just take the old card up, and blame others for giving the wrong information. What makes you so sure your own numbers are so perfect?

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, and you must be from USA, as you react the way you do to that you are no longer better. Then you just take the old card up, and blame others for giving the wrong information. What makes you so sure your own numbers are so perfect?

You dropped your statistical arguments, links, in record time, and went to snark.; outstanding. No idea what "no longer better" or "numbers are so perfect" have to do with anything. I live here. In many ways wealth, relative wealth, protects me, gives me privilege. However I know that. I try to be aware, and understand for all that, I don't know half of what is really going on.  Sorry if that upsets you.

Have a happy Songkran.

2 hours ago, Dcheech said:

You dropped your statistical arguments, links, in record time, and went to snark.; outstanding. No idea what "no longer better" or "numbers are so perfect" have to do with anything. I live here. In many ways wealth, relative wealth, protects me, gives me privilege. However I know that. I try to be aware, and understand for all that, I don't know half of what is really going on.  Sorry if that upsets you.

Have a happy Songkran.

Where you live, is rather irrelevant. What I provided was statistical facts, that prove USA was not at a better place than Thailand before. Please provide your decades long history of being better or just put a sock in it.

Dogs, smoke, motorcycles. The 3 most annoying things of everyday life in Thailand.

Probably not much else.

Theft rates in Thailand are generally low due to Buddhist and animist superstitions and dogs everywhere.

Still safer than the US. Definitely more so than the Philippines.

And just be glad you're not stuck in Afghanistan, Ukraine, South Sudan, or Syria. Thailand is also incredibly stable and safe compared to its neighbors like Myanmar.

The driving in my suburb is pretty good, though there is a tendency to leave vehicles which are not parked in the street.  If there was one issue that I was worried about, I would cycle home after drinking less.