Returning to Thailand - advice welcomed

I lived in Thailand from 2004 with a Thai partner, but have been absent for the past two years because of Covid restrictions . I hope to return in August. I already have a long-standing Thai bank account, and have been depositing 65,000 baht there each month from UK bank. Unfortunately, there is a break in deposits, so in August 2022 I will only have a ten month record. My question is, will it be possible to use a combination method with say 200,000 baht in account ? I will be using Chiang Mai immigration, and will hope to apply for long stay visa in September. I will enter in August on 90 day visa, and then convert to one year if possible.

Thanks for any advice.

Wait for an expert but my take on it is that without income letter from embassy (your UK) you have not provided the 12 monthly deposits.

Think you should plan on having 800k in your bankbook if you plan to enter visa exempt and obtain a non O based on retirement.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

65K/month for two years should have well over 1.5 million. With a few breaks, it should have well over a million at least. What's the issue using 800K method?

He is either using income method or funds in the bank.

OP did not indicate any reference to 800k total deposit using funds in bank. 

You assume all the dosh is in bank.

Perhaps not. 

Apply for a Non O in UK.

Arrive in August. You will have a 90 day stay issued upon arrival. Make 2 more deposits, September and October, then apply. You will then have 12 deposits.

Ignore any mention of Embassy letter. The British embassy no longer issue them. 

• Like 2

From ฿650,000 deposits only ฿200,000 left in the account while you were not here ?!!!!! ????

It would be easy to convert your 3 months TV visa to ฿800,000 method after 3 more ฿65000 deposits. And much easier than monthly deposit method. 

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

From ฿650,000 deposits only ฿200,000 left in the account while you were not here ?!!!!! ????

It would be easy to convert your 3 months TV visa to ฿800,000 method after 3 more ฿65000 deposits. And much easier than monthly deposit method. 

He doesn't actually say that. He says he has only 10 months deposits. He wants to use the combination method and add 200 000. That appears to mean he wants to add 200000 to bring him up to the 800k. So he has 600k in the bank?

He can't do that anyway. Combination method would only work if he had 12 deposits but they were under 65k. He's coming on a 90 day visa. That would suggest a Non O.

Some confusion over my original post. I send money to Thailand on a regular basis, but if I return in August I will only have a ten month record of 65,000 baht transfers. This money has been used by my partner for day to day living, so there is not 650,000 accumulated. My question is - is it permitted to use a combination approach for one year visa - ten month record of 65,000 baht transfers, plus a lump sum of 200,000 baht?

15 minutes ago, itgilman said:

Some confusion over my original post. I send money to Thailand on a regular basis, but if I return in August I will only have a ten month record of 65,000 baht transfers. This money has been used by my partner for day to day living, so there is not 650,000 accumulated. My question is - is it permitted to use a combination approach for one year visa - ten month record of 65,000 baht transfers, plus a lump sum of 200,000 baht?

In a nutshell "No".

Refer to my above post. I believe that to be your best option.

11 minutes ago, itgilman said:

Since you have been out out of the country for a considerable amount of the immigration may accept 10 months of transfers. It is written the rules that it can be done with 2 or 3 months if is the first extension but immigration often do not want to do it.

If you enter on a non-o visa in August you could get do the 2 additional transfers needed before applying for a one year extension near the end of the 90 day entry from the non-o visa.

1 hour ago, itgilman said:

My question is - is it permitted to use a combination approach for one year visa - ten month record of 65,000 baht transfers, plus a lump sum of 200,000 baht?

In a nutshell - no. The concept of the combo is 12 monthly payments that are below 65K plus a top up amount to meet the required threshold.

As has been said if you arrive with 10 transfers under your belt, you have time to make a further 2 before applying for the extension.

You really should try and avoid the combo method, I have done it in the past and immigration do not like it, can very easily turn into an obstacle course.