Thailand’s banks try to find their feet in fast-changing world

Thailand-bank_web.jpg

By Thai PBS World’s Business Desk

Thailand’s banking industry has waded through many economic crises in the last few decades, the latest being the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite their preparedness, new risks and challenges continue to test the banks’ resilience. 

Banks and other types of financial institutions that survived the 1997 Asian financial crisis have become stronger. The industry, as well as Thailand’s economy, was not much impacted by the global financial crisis in 2008. They are being tested again, by the persisting COVID pandemic and the fallout of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

A bank-based economy

Banks play a crucial role in Thailand’s economy, which is labeled a bank-based economy. Financial institutions have served both depositors and borrowers, fuelling economic growth. A bank-based economy is different from capital-based economies, such as the United States, where businesses largely raise funds via the capital market—the stock market.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-banks-try-to-find-their-feet-in-fast-changing-world/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-09

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ozfarang said:

You only have to look at the archaic ATM's the banks use. Were I came from the banks ditched them 15 years ago, probably longer. 

Having to wait up to seven days for 12 months of account statements is just unbelievable. I can get 7 years of statements for my Australian bank account online instantly. 

The banking system here has a long way to go to move into the 21st century

but we are in Thailand not Australia   so what work is ok  

Banks in Thailand are in a comfy position, there's very little competition to challenge them due to heavy regulation.

The biggest problems they have are of their own making, such as giving credit to people who aren't creditworthy by any sane standard.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 9:24 AM, ozfarang said:

You only have to look at the archaic ATM's the banks use. Were I came from the banks ditched them 15 years ago, probably longer. 

Having to wait up to seven days for 12 months of account statements is just unbelievable. I can get 7 years of statements for my Australian bank account online instantly. 

I can get 12 months statements at KBank in about 30 minutes for 100 baht. Bangkok bank want 3 working days and 200 baht.

On 4/8/2022 at 7:24 PM, ozfarang said:

"You only have to look at the archaic ATM's the banks use."

I never noticed this, what is different about them?

On 4/9/2022 at 9:24 AM, ozfarang said:

True what you say but considering the major shareholders of the banks are some of the most influential and connected families do you really think anything will change that could disrupt there perpetual pseudo monopoly of the financial systems here in Thailand ?