Restore from a SATA backup to a SSD.

up2you2

I have made a Windows 11 backup from a SSD onto a SATA hard disk.
I would now like to use this backup, and restore it on another SSD using Macrium Reflect, is this possible please?
Then if so, what are the steps I have to do, to boot up directly on this new restores second SSD?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I would like to clarify what I previously posted.

My "C" drive is an SSD, I do not want to overwrite this, or touch it.

On my Seagate Back Up
SATA ( E) drive, I have made a complete image backup of my "C" drive.
With this (E) drive backup, I want to transfer that to a different SSD, this being my SDD (H) drive.

So it is indeed indeed possible to transfer a backup that's on a SATA drive, over to a SSD please?

36 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

On my Seagate Back Up
With this (E) drive backup, I want to transfer that to a different SSD, this being my SDD (H) drive.

So it is indeed indeed possible to transfer a backup that's on a SATA drive, over to a SSD please?

Yes... that will work.

If you will tell us what your ultimate goal is, we can tell you if you're headed towards a workable solution.  For instance, if are you planning to boot a different computer from that newly created system drive, that doesn't work 100% of the time.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

On my Seagate Back Up

Yes, but WHY?

When I make a backup of my OS with Macrium it puts it in a Image which I store on my NAS and a external HDD for safe keeping.

My C:\ is also an SSD (Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB)

If I want I can restore that Image to any drive (but SSD of course preferred)

So you made a backup of your C to another drive and not as an Image. Correct??

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

Yes... that will work.

If you will tell us what your ultimate goal is, we can tell you if you're headed towards a workable solution.  For instance, if are you planning to boot a different computer from that newly created system drive, that doesn't work 100% of the time.

Thank you, good to know it will work.
The backup of my "C" drive, to another drive, was in fact an image.

In the responses I have received, it doesn't look easy to do, at least for me.
The data I was trying to see on this back up, I think I have now found it elsewhere.
Maybe some day I will take this backup to someone who can boot it up, then copy the few files that are in doubt, and send via email to myself if that is the case.

Thank you to all those that have responded.

• Confused 2

I have Macrium and have it make an image automatically and save to my D/Data drive. 

Sometimes I have to go back to find a deleted file so I open Macrium and choose RESTORE/Explore choose the file you want to explore and Macrium will MOUNT the old image . You can the find the files you want and copy/paste where you want, then UNMOUNT image.

Also you should use a flash drive to make a RECOVERY "disk" in case you cannot boot up and want to restore and old image.

Note the current ver of Macrium Reflect Free is v8.0.6635 2022-03-04.
Not necessary to 'restore' a backup or image to access a directory or file within it.
You do not run 'Macrium Reflect' to do this.

Windows Explorer opens automatically when you open a backup/image as a virtual volume from within the file explorer.

Details:
In Windows File Explorer, double click the xxxx.mrimg image you want to open.
A small 'Backup Selection' window opens. You see what Volumes are in the xxxx.mrimg.
 - CHOOSE/SELECT the volume you want
NOTE there are 2 'tick boxes' at the bottom
 - 'Enable Access To Restricted Folders'
     *only use if you intend to 'Access Restricted Folders'
 - 'Make Writable'
     *do not enable this if you only want to copy a directory or file from the *.mrimg

Now, that volume will be mounted in a new 'File Explorer Window' as a virtual volume,
 and will use any available drive letter.
Explore the volume.
Copy the data to wherever you want.

When finished, 'UnMount the Macrium Image'.

- howto

• Like 1

Thank you again, I didn't know I had this option!

Now in practice when I have just tried to do this, on Mozilla Thunderbird mail, I get as far as Profiles, but then I don't get any further further.
So with this program is there a way please, or will I have restore this whole back up on a spare SSD, and then boot it up from there, to find and look at some specific files?

3 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Try installing Acronis you can do it from that. There is a free version which will do the job

The Thunderbird files I am wishing to look at, were made on a Macrium Reflect backup.

Is it possible that Acronis can look into a different program's backup, and if so how please?

On 4/13/2022 at 1:51 PM, up2you2 said:

The Thunderbird files I am wishing to look at, were made on a Macrium Reflect backup.

Is it possible that Acronis can look into a different program's backup, and if so how please?

Acronis will back up everything you select. Select everything and you should be ok. thunderbird, I have used it in the past, shouldnt have any problem in downloading the files if they are not backed up as it is only your drive being backed up not the network files