Entered Nong Khai Visa Exempt - Options to stay as long as possible ?

Hi to all members,

I've entered visa-exempt through Nong Khai the 5th of April and I'm now in Chiang Mai in my rental house. I'd like to stay as long as possible, ideally until the end of the year without having to leave the country - what are my options ? (not interested in the Elite Visa)

I'm planning to settle in Thailand so I have a lot of motivation to study and master the Thai language : would a ED visa be ideal for my situation ? Could I switch from an exempt stamp to a 1 year ED visa without having to leave Thailand ? Is there any other visas I could apply for without having to leave the country ?

I'm planning to get married to my long-term Thai girlfriend here beginning of 2023 so any suggestions in order to stay in Thailand until then is welcome !

Much appreciate the help in advance

PS: I already know that I can get a 30 days extension at the immigration office, cheers ????

Best

Edited by Mitsu

Bringing forward your marriage would give you one easy 60-day extension, and mean that you have around 120 days (30+30+60) before needing a border bounce or Non Immigrant visa. You should also (by August) be able to do a border bounce for a fresh visa exempt entry (and a further resulting 120 days). The timing will then be wrong for a third visa exempt entry by land in a calendar year. If you are able to get a Covid extension in May, however, then you would not need another border bounce until the new year, and you would have good easy options for some more months. There would also be the option of Non O visas from nearby embassies. If you do not marry early, the Non Ed visa and extensions is probably going to be your safe option, but could involve some aggravations.

17 hours ago, Mitsu said:

I've entered visa-exempt through Nong Khai the 5th of April and I'm now in Chiang Mai in my rental house.

Entering Thailand via a Laos land border is currently possible?

1 hour ago, ThLT said:

Entering Thailand via a Laos land border is currently possible?

I believe I am still correct in saying that the only land border with Laos that is open is the Friendship Bridge between Vientiane and Nong Khai. At least as of a few days ago, none of the other border crossings with Laos were open.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I believe I am still correct in saying that the only land border with Laos that is open is the Friendship Bridge between Vientiane and Nong Khai. At least as of a few days ago, none of the other border crossings with Laos were open.

18 hours ago, Mitsu said:

From what I understand, you need to be part of a travel group. OP, was that the case, or you entered yourself from the Nong Khai Friendship Bridge?

My new account was banned, i'm the original poster, didn't know we couldn't have multiple accounts.

From what I understand, you need to be part of a travel group. OP, was that the case, or you entered yourself from the Nong Khai Friendship Bridge?

I applied by myself with my Lao Vaccination Card on the Thai Pass website, no need of being part of a tour group. It took a long time, but it was easy enough.

Bringing forward your marriage would give you one easy 60-day extension, and mean that you have around 120 days (30+30+60) before needing a border bounce or Non Immigrant visa. You should also (by August) be able to do a border bounce for a fresh visa exempt entry (and a further resulting 120 days). The timing will then be wrong for a third visa exempt entry by land in a calendar year. If you are able to get a Covid extension in May, however, then you would not need another border bounce until the new year, and you would have good easy options for some more months. There would also be the option of Non O visas from nearby embassies. If you do not marry early, the Non Ed visa and extensions is probably going to be your safe option, but could involve some aggravations.

Thank you for your answer. Just telling the IO that I'm planning to get married in January next year would be a good enough reason to get 60 days ?

Yes. you can.  I just had my volunteer visa converted to ED for a year.  I did not leave country (something that was not an option for me.  Besides, my friend just had to pay an extra fee AHEM to get in after trying to do basic border run).

It cost 40k for 9 months, have option for 55k for 12 months ED .  Oddly, when I applied, they revoked 12 months.  Now?  my friend applied and they revoked 9 month option one month later.  Thailand. LOL.

2 hours ago, RedReding said:

Thank you for your answer. Just telling the IO that I'm planning to get married in January next year would be a good enough reason to get 60 days ?

Unfortunately not. You need to be officially married in order to get an extension to visit your Thai spouse. Note that, if you want to wait until January to have a big wedding with family and friends, this does not mean you cannot register yourself as married at the amphoe earlier. It is, in fact, the norm and not the exception in Thailand to treat the big "temple" wedding and celebration as something quite distinct from official marriage registration. It is not unusual for Thai couples to only have the wedding celebration without formally registering their marriage, but as a foreigner you do not want to do that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, treetops said:

That's going to Laos I believe, not coming to Thailand.

Yeah, but he had to get into Laos in the first place, before coming back into Thailand. It's the getting into Laos without being part of a tour group that I'm interested in. If you're in Laos, the Lao government can't force you to stay in the country, I'd imagine. 

Edited by ThLT

Unfortunately not. You need to be officially married in order to get an extension to visit your Thai spouse. Note that, if you want to wait until January to have a big wedding with family and friends, this does not mean you cannot register yourself as married at the amphoe earlier. It is, in fact, the norm and not the exception in Thailand to treat the big "temple" wedding and celebration as something quite distinct from official marriage registration. It is not unusual for Thai couples to only have the wedding celebration without formally registering their marriage, but as a foreigner you do not want to do that.

I see, interesting, thank you for those details.

Yeah, but he had to get into Laos in the first place, before coming back into Thailand. It's the getting into Laos without being part of a tour group that I'm interested in. If you're in Laos, the Lao government can't force you to stay in the country, I'd imagine. 

I got into Laos in January 2020 and simply lived and worked there, that was before COVID. During the COVID pandemic, I just basically didn't go anywhere and was in Laos that whole time. According to the latest news, you indeed need to be part of a tour group to enter Laos as a tourist and apparently stay 2 nights in quarantine.

• Like 1