50,000-100,000 COVID-19 Cases Expected Daily After Songkran Holiday

snoop1130

768x319.png

BANGKOK, April 12 (TNA) – The Department of Health expected the country to log 50,000 to 100,000 new COVID-19 cases daily following the Songkran festival and urged people to seriously protect themselves from the disease.

Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, director-general of the department, said the new daily cases could rise that high because during the festival there would be considerable travelers, risky activities and places and high-risk people.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Strict precautions to prevent infections could effectively control the disease, limit fatalities and help maintain the health system of the country, he said.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-922244

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright TNA 2022-04-12

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

1 hour ago, connda said:

At that point the vast majority of the population will have anti-bodies within a few weeks and then the cases drop to negligible and perhaps we get back to normal again. 

Yeah, that will work, antibodies seem to be pretty useless  know several people who got infected with the same variant twice in a few months. The natural immunity crowd still haven't gotten the message.

Edited by sjaak327
  • Like 1

This would not cross 25k threshold set by supreme governing body. Anything more than that and Thailand will be in list of many countries's no travel list and that would stop the Thai Pass/forced quarantine/Insurance scam so no way Jose!

• Like 1

Without looking it up..........

I seem to recall that Germany and France, with similar population size to Thailand and somewhat better medical care, overall.............. 

Have recently [within the last 30-days] seen days with 150,000 to 250,000 new cases. 

South Korea............ with 30% fewer people then Thailand........... has been averaging 200,000 to 300,000 new cases daily within the last 2 weeks. 

So I can't imagine anyone would be shocked if Thailand........... with our nearly 70 million people............ took a jump up to 50,000 to 100,000 cases per day, following a nationwide, multi-day event where behaving foolishly and recklessly and irresponsibly is a big part of the fun! 

The UK.,

France,

Germany,

South Korea.

Japan, etc............ 

All with noteworthy, "First World" health care systems. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

What would be surprising is if it DIDN'T happen to Thailand, too; not if it did! 

Cheers! 

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RandiRona said:

This would not cross 25k threshold set by supreme governing body. Anything more than that and Thailand will be in list of many countries's no travel list and that would stop the Thai Pass/forced quarantine/Insurance scam so no way Jose!

And yet it has passed the "25k threshhold," just in the last week, or so......... 

So come on now, if you're going to lash out with sneering sarcasm, you've really gotta keep abreast of current events! Otherwise, it's just l a z y!

????????????

Cheers! 

2 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

And yet it has passed the "25k threshhold," just in the last week, or so......... 

So come on now, if you're going to lash out with sneering sarcasm, you've really gotta keep abreast of current events! Otherwise, it's just l a z y!

????????????

Cheers! 

Haha...you took it literal...it meant that you would always see numbers in comfort zone. The chances of anyone coming from outside and getting infected in Thailand is very high but official numbers always present a controlled scenario.

Our entire family caught COVID last week on a trip to Hua Hin.

I was amazed as how mild its been.

Only Yai, elderly and diabetic has struggled a little bit.

3 children had fevers for two days.

Day 7 today.  Were all almost completely recovered.

All of us have had 2 Moderna or Pfeizer jabs.

Toddler 2.  Bad fever.  By day 5 completely recovered.

I feel relieved it was so mild.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Without looking it up..........

I seem to recall that Germany and France, with similar population size to Thailand and somewhat better medical care, overall.............. 

Have recently [within the last 30-days] seen days with 150,000 to 250,000 new cases. 

South Korea............ with 30% fewer people then Thailand........... has been averaging 200,000 to 300,000 new cases daily within the last 2 weeks. 

So I can't imagine anyone would be shocked if Thailand........... with our nearly 70 million people............ took a jump up to 50,000 to 100,000 cases per day, following a nationwide, multi-day event where behaving foolishly and recklessly and irresponsibly is a big part of the fun! 

The UK.,

France,

Germany,

South Korea.

Japan, etc............ 

All with noteworthy, "First World" health care systems. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

What would be surprising is if it DIDN'T happen to Thailand, too; not if it did! 

Cheers! 

What makes you think Thailand doesn't already have 2/300 k cases/day?

And that is probably a conservative number

+19,982 today as per https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

See how that goes next week as it determines further border easing or not....

Don't know why local cases should determine easing of entry as risk is TO incoming people, not FROM them so much judging by positives on arrival...being super low, right ?

Edited by freedomnow

10 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

How did India managed to control covide-19. Now they are recording around 1,000 cases and less than 50 death per day for a poor dirty filthy country of a billion plus population?

Good question, did you forget the mass funeral pyres from 2021? The official 520k death toll is certainly a huge undercount. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

Good question, did you forget the mass funeral pyres from 2021? The official 520k death toll is certainly a huge undercount. 

I don't know who I believe. The US CDC considers India a very low risk (Level 1) Covid country but most Western Europe as high risk (Level 4) or shall a believe a "wife visa" refugee whose voice is heard in only in this forum. The choice is tough US CDC vs "wife visa" refugee. I will go with US CDC. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Anton9 said:

What makes you think Thailand doesn't already have 2/300 k cases/day?

And that is probably a conservative number

Hmmm........ 

When I was a teenager, I thought I might someday become a writer. Fiction, novels.

Like many kids of my era (graduated in '75), I was big into Science Fiction and Fantasy: Tolkien, Donaldson, Asimov, Clarke, Herbert, McCaffery, Anderson, Lequin, etc. 

My father, not being a huge fan of fiction.......... and especially not of Science Fiction and Fantasy......... commented thusly......... 

"When you make up your own world, a world that follows your own rules, no one can criticize or critique it. No one can say that such-and-such can't happen. If you say it can happen, it can happen! Where is the challenge in creating a world that no one can critique, that no one can criticize; that no one can relate to or recognize? It's creative, sure. But what would ever make it relevant?

"Why not start by writing about things people know and recognize?" he said. "Maybe start by writing about a fire. Everyone can relate to a fire. They know what a fire is; they know what a fire can do. Can you craft an intriguing and interesting story---a compelling story---about something everyone already relates to, already understands, like a fire?" 

I couldn't! So I moved on to other things! 555

His point was, of course........... 

If you're just going to make things up, you can make up anything you want. Doing so may provoke a reaction.......... but it still won't have anything to do with the real world; the world in which your readers actually live and breathe.

After that, I still enjoyed reading Science Fiction and Fantasy........... but never quite the same way. 

And after that, I decided that writing Science Fiction and Fantasy........... as much as I enjoyed the creativity of it........... wasn't the thing for me! 

Cheers! 

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy

8 hours ago, freedomnow said:

+19,982 today as per https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

See how that goes next week as it determines further border easing or not....

Don't know why local cases should determine easing of entry as risk is TO incoming people, not FROM them so much judging by positives on arrival...being super low, right ?

Remember, though........... 

Sunday, Monday and Tuesday numbers are almost always lower, Friday and Saturday numbers usually highest. This is because of days off for workers who do the reporting and some offices being closed on certain days. 

During Songkran weekend, the numbers will probably be noticeably lower. Afterwards, people will return to work and businesses will open back up, and the numbers will "catch up."

This will look like a "spike." But some of that will be the unreported numbers from the holiday and the weekend........... just "catching up." 

Cheers! 

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2022 at 5:49 PM, snoop1130 said:

The Department of Health expected the country to log 50,000 to 100,000 new COVID-19 cases daily following the Songkran festival

I don't think it will be higher than 15-20,000 per day after Songkran, as that's about all that will be tested