Multi entry visa

My son & his Girlfriend are hoping to travel SE Asia in October from UK and we’re confused as to what visa is available. My husband and I travelled 20 yrs ago and used a triple entry visa which gave us 60 days on each arrival in Thailand, this doesn’t seem to be a thing anymore and the only option seems to be for just 60 days and no longer? I have also read that you only get 15 days on arrival now instead of 30 and the crossing across a border and back again for another 30 days is nolonger a thing? Any advice greatly received.

The 3 entry tourist visa has been replaced by the multiple entry tourist visa that allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the day it issued.

The land border entry rules were changed about 6 years ago. The 15 day entry that went into effect in 2008 was eliminated and it was changed to two 30 day entries per calendar year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 3 entry tourist visa has been replaced by the multiple entry tourist visa that allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the day it issued.

The land border entry rules were changed about 6 years ago. The 15 day entry that went into effect in 2008 was eliminated and it was changed to two 30 day entries per calendar year.

I went to Phuket from the UK last October. I had applied for a ME visa and the embassy duly took the fee from my credit card but then advised me "For your visa, we proceeded your application for single-entry as we are not allowed by the MFA to issue Multiple entry." They didn't refund me the difference ????

I would guess that the situation is unchanged.

Edited by London Lowf

Hmmm this is what I seem to be coming across when I’m trying to find out what he can get. So did you only get 30 days? Ideally he’d like to do 3 months (not necessarily in one go) but stumped at the first hurdle in regards to his visa 

20 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

I went to Phuket from the UK last October. I had applied for a ME visa and the embassy duly took the fee from my credit card but then advised me "For your visa, we proceeded your application for single-entry as we are not allowed by the MFA to issue Multiple entry." They didn't refund me the difference

October of last year was a long time ago and  the METV is being issued now. There have been several reports of people getting them.

10 minutes ago, Trudy said:

Hmmm this is what I seem to be coming across when I’m trying to find out what he can get. So did you only get 30 days? Ideally he’d like to do 3 months (not necessarily in one go) but stumped at the first hurdle in regards to his visa 

He got a single entry tourist visa that allows a 60 day entry that can be extended for the 30 days.

This is my reply to his post.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

October of last year was a long time ago and  the METV is being issued now. There have been several reports of people getting them.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is there but it is hard to find.

Thanks - I can well believe that! Like Trudy, I also searched on thaievisa.go.th with no joy having been guided there by the UK Embassy site - which sends you round in circles with no mention of a METV and many pages only displaying in Thai!

I am booked for Oct-Nov (may extend for a couple of weeks) and plan to return Jan-Feb with an extension to Mar. I was thinking of getting an METV to save hassle but it's quite expensive. I think I'll be better off just getting two seperate 60-day TVs.

That's a useful post Upnotover but I don't see it and neither did Trudy - I assume you only get to that page after you've set up an account?

PS: I just downloaded the E-visa manual and so I can answer my own question - "Yes".

Edited by London Lowf

5 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

That's a useful post Upnotover but I don't see it and neither did Trudy - I assume you only get to that page after you've set up an account?

Yes, it's the first page of an actual application rather than just looking at the information pages, which as far as I can see do not mention the multiple entry option.

OP should be aware that to even get METV

he/they need money salted in bank for previous 6 months (£5000) and a job invite letter for return to home country ...

or

proof of business owner accounts submissions (or something like that on biz option).

How many visa exemption for tourist (Australian) can you get per year , is there any unwritten rule that says no more than 6 a year?

I suppose the days of doing monthly boarder runs to Cambodia in a mini van are over ?

many thanks

1 hour ago, darrenr said:

How many visa exemption for tourist (Australian) can you get per year , is there any unwritten rule that says no more than 6 a year?

I suppose the days of doing monthly boarder runs to Cambodia in a mini van are over ?

many thanks

By air there is no written limit for visa exempt entries.

At land border crossings there is a limit of 2 per calendar year.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Upnotover said:

It's on the first page;

image.png.1d50ef569a37ad1848cf22cacc3bfba3.png

yes i saw this also  ... i first looked at us thai embassy and the terminology was different  but the pic here is what i figured out also ...........  BUT  how many metv are given ... and how do you explain to imm that u want it ....  comments by others said paid the 200 usd but only got the tv se  

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Although I applied for the METV in the United States, I was approved in 4 days. Conveniently, it's now an e-visa, saving considerable expense and time.

4 hours ago, darrenr said:

many thanks

Legally there is no restriction on how many entries by Air in one calendar year under visa exempt. The only limit is land border with 2 entries under visa exempt in one calendar year. Border run are stopped because of restriction on eitehr side, but expected to resume once the restricions are eased.

13 hours ago, ifmu said:

can i get a short tv and change to metv after i get there .. or do i get it here in usa 

There is no way to get an METV from immigration inside Thailand, or from an embassy/consulate outside your home country. One of the big changes made when double/triple entry tourist visas were replaced by the multiple entry tourist visa is that they could now only be applied for in home country.

Dependant on your situation, it can be possible to switch within Thailand from a tourist entry (using visa or visa exempt) to a Non Immigrant visa/entry, thus allowing long term stay in Thailand. This is easiest if aged over 50.

15 hours ago, ifmu said:

yes i saw this also  ... i first looked at us thai embassy and the terminology was different  but the pic here is what i figured out also ...........  BUT  how many metv are given ... and how do you explain to imm that u want it ....  comments by others said paid the 200 usd but only got the tv se  

I think maybe the visa for 60 days and then leaving the country and returning for an extra 30 may be the way forward as it sounds pretty expensive to get a METV 

20 hours ago, freedomnow said:

he/they need money salted in bank for previous 6 months (£5000) and a job invite letter for return to home country ...

or

proof of business owner accounts submissions (or something like that on biz option).

Well he definitely hasn’t had £5000 in his bank for the 6 months, he’s 21! And a job invite letter for when he returns home? Crazy! Think the METV sounds crazy, hopefully the 60 day visa is easier to obtain (without selling an organ) then he’ll have to just cross and return through a land border once he’s done elsewhere to get another 30 days

57 minutes ago, Trudy said:

Well he definitely hasn’t had £5000 in his bank for the 6 months, he’s 21! And a job invite letter for when he returns home? Crazy! Think the METV sounds crazy, hopefully the 60 day visa is easier to obtain (without selling an organ) then he’ll have to just cross and return through a land border once he’s done elsewhere to get another 30 days

Yes, it is easier to get SETV 60-day visa. I think there might be a small amount of show money needed less than 1k.

Thailand is a headache all-round to get visas vs the past.

Could get a triple entry 9-month visa from Hull in past with no supporting documents..half price of the METV 6-month visa.

1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

Yes, it is easier to get SETV 60-day visa. I think there might be a small amount of show money needed less than 1k.

Thailand is a headache all-round to get visas vs the past.

Could get a triple entry 9-month visa from Hull in past with no supporting documents..half price of the METV 6-month visa.

Yeah I got a triple entry visa (20 yrs ago mind) didn’t have to show anything like what they’re asking now and if I did pay a fee it was very minimal! He’ll have a £1000 for sure as they’re saving for their trip but they definitely haven’t had £5000 in the last 6 months! SETV 60!day visa it is I think then a trip to Vietnam and 30 days entry on the way back in

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 1:50 PM, freedomnow said:

or

Hi thanks   my info says  6 months salted/ WITHOUT JOB INVITE LETTER FOR RETURN TO HOME  THIS IS FOR  LOSANGELES CONSULATE https://thaiconsulatela.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/tourist-visa-metv-multiple-entries

maybe your info is for another country ??