Capacitor

Yellowtail

I think the capacitor in my AC may be bad. I would like to find a suitable replacement on Lazada but not being electrically proficient, and not being able to actually see the parts, nothing seems to match up. I would like to order from a good in-country supplier. Link(s) to good suggestions would be appreciated. 

Also, does the polarity on these matter? I don't think so, but I'm not sure. 

image001.jpg.f89239cae3b19d3877e13b8cd1169c1d.jpgimage002.jpg.ee535eb8d202be2e07ec0858ef014a5f.jpgimage003.jpg.700cf80c7b56ec8bc9b1c7f29fbba307.jpg

Sorry for the BA pictures...

25 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I would like to find a suitable replacement on Lazada but not being electrically proficient, and not being able to actually see the parts, nothing seems to match up.

It’s dead easy, just do an image search

2D5490C7-CB9B-492F-A0EE-8B43C6D9442C.thumb.jpeg.c1dc59e5a71fd33d5a58c189883b6496.jpeg

this took all of about 30 seconds to find

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It’s dead easy, just do an image search

2D5490C7-CB9B-492F-A0EE-8B43C6D9442C.thumb.jpeg.c1dc59e5a71fd33d5a58c189883b6496.jpeg

this took all of about 30 seconds to find

Thanks, and yes I found any number of capacitors that look like it, and it was indeed dead-easy to find them, but unfortunately I do not have much of a comfort level that the part will be correct. For example, the items you found are 450V, the one I want to replace if 400V. It may make no difference, but it might and I do not know enough about it to know. 

16 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Thanks, and yes I found any number of capacitors that look like it, and it was indeed dead-easy to find them, but unfortunately I do not have much of a comfort level that the part will be correct. For example, the items you found are 450V, the one I want to replace if 400V. It may make no difference, but it might and I do not know enough about it to know. 

The higher voltage will make no difference. As long as the 6μF rating is the same

• Like 2

Important note:- You MUST use an AC rated capacitor often sold as motor start or motor run capacitors. 

Amorn have usually got a reasoinable selection and there really are zillions on Lazada. Or as noted your local pump shop is likely to have something suitable.

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Important note:- You MUST use an AC rated capacitor often sold as motor start or motor run capacitors. 

Amorn have usually got a reasoinable selection and there really are zillions on Lazada. Or as noted your local pump shop is likely to have something suitable.

Thanks, the polarity does not matter, correct? 

• Like 1

Well, was not able to find a shop open until today, and was able to get a 5uf as they were out of 6uf. B50, and dude ordered a 6uf for me I can pick up next week.

The five has been working okay for about six hours so I'm hoping it will last until I get the six.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Well, was not able to find a shop open until today, and was able to get a 5uf as they were out of 6uf. B50, and dude ordered a 6uf for me I can pick up next week.

The five has been working okay for about six hours so I'm hoping it will last until I get the six.  

Result!

Capacitor tolerances are pretty wide (+-10% is good) so your 6uF could be anywhere from 5.4-6.6uF anyway.

In reality it will be fine forever but good that you've ordered the right one.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Result!

Capacitor tolerances are pretty wide (+-10% is good) so your 6uF could be anywhere from 5.4-6.6uF anyway.

In reality it will be fine forever but good that you've ordered the right one.

A long as I have a spare it's a good bet I'll never need it....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have you tried turning off the current at the fuse box when the aircon is not in use?

I had a similar problem with my two Panasonic aircons. A Thai electrician explained to me the capacitors can fail to function if they are overcharged, whereas the stored energy will bleed off slowly if the current is turned off at the fuse box while not in use.

I don't know how valid his explanation is, but applying his advice has resulted in trouble-free startups for the last two years.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Have you tried turning off the current at the fuse box when the aircon is not in use?

I had a similar problem with my two Panasonic aircons. A Thai electrician explained to me the capacitors can fail to function if they are overcharged, whereas the stored energy will bleed off slowly if the current is turned off at the fuse box while not in use.

I don't know how valid his explanation is, but applying his advice has resulted in trouble-free startups for the last two years.

Since you were told by a Thai electrician - I think you already know the validity of his statement.

Powering off when not in use won't do any harm and would save the miniscule "vampire power" that's used in standby mode.

EDIT @Lacessit are you sure you posted in the right thread??

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I turned the breaker off for a few minutes an back on but it didn't help. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Since you were told by a Thai electrician - I think you already know the validity of his statement.

Powering off when not in use won't do any harm and would save the miniscule "vampire power" that's used in standby mode.

EDIT @Lacessit are you sure you posted in the right thread??

I don't understand, I thought the OP was talking about capacitors, so am I. What thread do you think I should be using?

I don't subscribe to the notion all Thais in a trade occupation are incompetent. I have a motor mechanic and scooter mechanic in Chiang Rai, both of whom keep my vehicles running smoothly at very low cost. My next -door neighbor but one is a very skilled building trade artisan, can lay floors, breeze blocks and do rendering as well as any Western tradie.

All I can say is if I forget to switch off at the fuse box, the next time I want either aircon I say <deleted> it, switch off at the fuse box, wait an hour or so in a lather of sweat, then power up at the fuse box, and the aircon immediately afterwards. I can hear the clicking of a relay in the aircon when I do that.

If you have an alternative explanation, I'm all ears.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't understand, I thought the OP was talking about capacitors, so am I.

OK, so I am in error, a duff motor start cap is not likely to recover by turning off the main breaker, I thought you meant to respond to the thread where the OP had problems with his A/C responding to the remote. Never mind.

I agree that not all Thai tradesmen are less than competent, but the vast majority of "electricians" you will brush with doing domestic are, shall we say, less than knowledgeable. The concept of "over charging" a capacitor is simply nonsense (it's not a battery) but possibly something became lost in translation, who knows.

It's not unknown for A/Cs (and other technology) to get "confused" by mains disturbances and to then need a reset, you are of course avoiding this issue by turning your units off. By the way, do you really have to wait an hour? On the odd occasion our A/C does decide not to start on the remote, an off at the breaker followed by on after about 30 seconds invariably gets things going. We leave our breakers on 24/7/365 and I suppose we have one occasion every 6 months when things won't start (invariably after some weather).

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

OK, so I am in error, a duff motor start cap is not likely to recover by turning off the main breaker, I thought you meant to respond to the thread where the OP had problems with his A/C responding to the remote. Never mind.

I agree that not all Thai tradesmen are less than competent, but the vast majority of "electricians" you will brush with doing domestic are, shall we say, less than knowledgeable. The concept of "over charging" a capacitor is simply nonsense (it's not a battery) but possibly something became lost in translation, who knows.

It's not unknown for A/Cs (and other technology) to get "confused" by mains disturbances and to then need a reset, you are of course avoiding this issue by turning your units off. By the way, do you really have to wait an hour? On the odd occasion our A/C does decide not to start on the remote, an off at the breaker followed by on after about 30 seconds invariably gets things going. We leave our breakers on 24/7/365 and I suppose we have one occasion every 6 months when things won't start (invariably after some weather).

You may be right on both counts, lost in translation and avoiding mains disturbances. I will give a shorter time period a try.

I do recall the electrician replacing a faulty capacitor in both units before he suggested the fuse box solution.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right on both counts, lost in translation and avoiding mains disturbances. I will give a shorter time period a try.

As mentioned, the delay you experience is not likely to be from a capacitor.  It could be related to the relay though.  Sometimes they can get stuck and, in my case on 3 occasions, have ants that cause issues.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

As mentioned, the delay you experience is not likely to be from a capacitor.  It could be related to the relay though.  Sometimes they can get stuck and, in my case on 3 occasions, have ants that cause issues.  

Getting geckos stuck in the moving vanes isn't great either.

• Like 1