Filial Piety - What's wrong with it?

4 minutes ago, rumak said:

Not just thailand, but everywhere .   Even those who had a good relationship very often "grow apart".

Lots of reasons why .   Money and boredom probably top the list .   I would guess 10 % of relationships are built on respect and a feeling of being happy to wake up and see the person you are with.

In the past when i felt that was not the case  i would move on.  So that is MY reason for not putting too much money into 'living arrangements'.     

Many many guys DO lose a lot.... or hang on because they thought it would be forever.

Ahh, but those who have invested their life savings into the relationship, and into worthless assets in Issan will tell you that you are cynical, and bitter etc etc, when all you have done is been realistic. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Ahh, but those who have invested their life savings into the relationship, and into worthless assets in Issan will tell you that you are cynical, and bitter etc etc, when all you have done is been realistic. 

Yep .    Up to them to do what they want.    i have been "realistic'   and thus been able to move on when things were no longer what i wanted.

• Like 2

Humans just haven't evolved to live alone.

meaning is derived by living for another. People who have been damaged find that it's easier to live for a dog than a human. 

If a man can live in Thailand only for himself and be happy he is quite unusual.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grecian said:

Humans just haven't evolved to live alone.

meaning is derived by living for another. People who have been damaged find that it's easier to live for a dog than a human. 

If a man can live in Thailand only for himself and be happy he is quite unusual.

the more people i meet, the more i love my dog.    "Spot !  Is my breakfast ready yet ? "

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

You see, this is precisely why I spend little time on these forums, people like you, attitudes like this. TVF is full of bitter old men.  People marry into Thailand without understanding the people they are marrying. That's their fault. When my money ran out, I was thrown a lifeline by Thai family and I'm not going to be the farang that ran out when things go bad. . . Everyone's experience of life is different of course.

9 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I think you kind of understand what I'm saying. To me, all taxation is fraudulent, and none more fraudulent than making tax payers pay for the elderly of others.

Not sure if you believe in this specific concept or just in being good to people who are good to you. 

The concept seems to be based on obedience and devotion, possibly without question, almost a religious thing. Would you support it if they had not been nice. Or do you think by supporting the concept, and living in a certain way,  it made your family nice respectful and good people.  

Isn't taxation itself a broader form of devotion and support of our fellow people. Or are those without a family to be discarded with no support for health, housing and basics such as food.  

It is noted too that as we get older the concept of helping and respecting the elderly can seem a more desirable concept. 

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

I respect your honesty.

How many are living miserable lives in retirement, in Issan, drinking themselves to death, because they were not realistic here?

Those same people might just be drinking themselves to death somewhere else, perhaps in a dingy bed-sit wrapped in a blanket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

For myself, the thought of rotting in some old folks home stinking of stale p:$$ with strangers horrifies me, I'd rather croak before that happened

The big question is how one would be able to croak if one had no family and adequate finances?