Fairly large nest egg needed to retire comfortably in Thailand

webfact

Senior-living-Thailand_web.jpg

Extended families are no longer the norm in Thai society. Gone are the days when elderly parents can simply wait for aid from their grown-up children. (Photo by Danie Franco)

Unlike previous generations, people entering their senior years now and in the future will likely need to save a substantial sum of money for their retirement. Without savings, they risk struggling on their own, minus support from younger relatives or the government.

Extended families are no longer the norm in Thai society. Gone are the days when elderly parents can simply wait for aid from their grown-up children. Many young couples nowadays say that if they tie the knot, they prefer not to live with their in-laws. When families live apart, financial resources cannot be shared so easily.

Also, more Thais are choosing to stay single these days.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

As of 2017, about 10 percent of Thailand’s senior population was living alone. And this is a growing trend: the percentage of elderly people living on their own rose by 4.5 percent per year between 2007 and 2017.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/fairly-large-nest-egg-needed-to-retire-comfortably-in-thailand/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-13

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tingtong said:

100k thb a year....approx equal to the current min. salary level, supposedly around 9000thb a month ( 350b* 26days). Many ppl earn less actually.

Questionable, but can argue it is relative comfort, vs a young worker who has higher living costs and probably a kid or few to raise too, from similar level salary.

Yeah maybe, but it doesn't seem that much to me.

The minimum wage isn't a great benchmark for my thinking. Should be much higher, but that's a different argument I guess.

Think I'll aim a bit higher.

Edited by Bluespunk

32 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

How many Thais expect to live to be near 100.  Someone posted life expectancy is 77.7 yrs old here, so we are to assume they are retiring at 47 yrs old.

My estimated budget for wife's monthly living expense after I c r a p out, is about ฿10k, with nice account for emergencies, if needed.  Since Thai, she gets almost free healthcare.  Consider the house, car & motorbike will be paid for, and electric, powered by solar, as will the house, owned free & clear.  So about ฿300 a day to feed herself, and more than enough, as we do mostly in home food now anyway.

At 65 yrs old, ฿10k X 15 yrs / 180 months, and only 1.8 mill needed, and a few years past life expectancy.  Nobody (parents or siblings) has lived past 70 yrs old, and she's the baby, 20+ yrs younger than oldest sibling, having 8.

So if people retire at about 65 ish, and plan on living to near 100, then the article is accurate, but very unrealistic.

In my wife's case, without a big saving account, and if she goes through the proposed budget, then she could always sell the house for more than a few million baht, and finance another 10 or 20 yrs of living comfy.

I'm still going to aim higher...

31 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

How many Thais expect to live to be near 100.  Someone posted life expectancy is 77.7 yrs old here, so we are to assume they are retiring at 47 yrs old.

My estimated budget for wife's monthly living expense after I c r a p out, is about ฿10k, with nice account for emergencies, if needed.  Since Thai, she gets almost free healthcare.  Consider the house, car & motorbike will be paid for, and electric, powered by solar, as will the house, owned free & clear.  So about ฿300 a day to feed herself, and more than enough, as we do mostly in home food now anyway.

At 65 yrs old, ฿10k X 15 yrs / 180 months, and only 1.8 mill needed, and a few years past life expectancy.  Nobody (parents or siblings) has lived past 70 yrs old, and she's the baby, 20+ yrs younger than oldest sibling, having 8.

So if people retire at about 65 ish, and plan on living to near 100, then the article is accurate, but very unrealistic.

In my wife's case, without a big saving account, and if she goes through the proposed budget, then she could always sell the house for more than a few million baht, and finance another 10 or 20 yrs of living comfy.

The standard retirement age in Thailand is now 60 years old, both government and private sector. So based on the average life expectancy they will need enough for at least 17 years. For myself, I am planning to live a bit longer so I will need enough for another 25 years and my wife will need another 11 or so years on top of that. Sh!te!!!!! Think I have miscalculated. BTW I will get free healthcare and the government handout of Baht 600 a month, which will increase to 700 when I hit 70, etc. 

Don't forget to factor in inflation. Today a somtam with pickled crab and fermeted fish may be Baht 35, but in another 15 or 20 years it could be 50 or more. While I could live on Baht 300 a day now, not that I want to, I don't think that would be so easy in another 20 years. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Wifey gives her mum 6K Bht per month and we take over food she can't get in her Isaan village once a month probaly costing 500bht.

She lives well.......

Her mum will get another 600 from the government, unless she has already hit 70, in which case she will get 700. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Don't forget to factor in inflation. Today a somtam with pickled crab and fermeted fish may be Baht 35, but in another 15 or 20 years it could be 50 or more. While I could live on Baht 300 a day now, not that I want to, I don't think that would be so easy in another 20 years. 

Yes, that safety margin factored in, JIC.   That 2 million baht house with be worth what in 20 years ?

Pretty sure that would supplement any further living expense needed.  Since her land investments have gain 500% over 10 yrs.  

Retired people have, or should have assets.  Most of the poor (bank accounts) village folks own many rai of land.

You either plan for retirement, or you don't.  Not rocket science.

55 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

You probably get a decent pension so you don't need any from your kids. Try living on 600 Bht/month which is what they get from the gov. here...

See, these people knew they needed their own  money later in life. And still they didn't give one thought beyond dinner.  I give money every month to her folks, but if I was to stop tomorrow, I wouldn't really care about their situation. They were Ok before me, they'll be Ok after I'm gone.