Expert Warns Covid Cases Post Songkran Could Triple

webfact

6894f69ef1dd0d99a265c2e2668df072_small.jpg

by Krajangwit Johjit

BANGKOK (NNT) - A medical expert has warned that the number of Covid-19 cases in Thailand will likely double or triple after the long Songkran holidays due to large crowds and parties at entertainment venues across the country.

Associate Professor Thira Woratanarat of Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Medicine wrote in an online post that many tourist attractions and entertainment venues have reportedly allowed their patrons or visitors to party and gather in large numbers to celebrate the Songkran festival.

During the long holidays, the government prohibits water splashing, power smearing, and alcohol consumption at all Songkran venues. However, a number of revelers, both Thai and foreign, have been caught flouting the order, prompting authorities to threaten businesses that allow violations to occur with hefty fines.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Dr. Thira observed that the number of daily Covid-19 cases increased two to threefold after the long Songkran holidays last year, and predicted a similar situation this year.

The Chulalongkorn professor attributed the increase in Covid cases mainly to a widespread belief that the current dominant Omicron variant is mild and controllable.

Dr. Thira warned that even after they recovered from the illness, Covid patients faced long-term effects on their health and daily lives, as they could develop other chronic diseases that impose a significant financial burden on themselves, their families, and the country in the long run.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-04-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

If so we will never known as now already the figures are not correct.. Look for today as an example.. not even 30.000 of which only 9.300 ATK tests.... They want to open the country the 1st of May and with skyrocketing cases because of Songkran it is not possible....The Government can only do things by the day a week is too far away.. So no vision is disrupting the whole Thai society

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

A medical expert has warned that the number of Covid-19 cases in Thailand will likely double or triple after the long Songkran holidays due to large crowds and parties at entertainment venues across the country.

It's a numbers game, who to believe?

• Like 1

Double or triple, I don't think so. I would expect at least 10 times more cases by this time next week.

Whether we hear about them or not is something entirely different.

They're not geared up to measure at such scale so it's irrelevant really.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Double or triple, I don't think so. I would expect at least 10 times more cases by this time next week.

Whether we hear about them or not is something entirely different.

They're not geared up to measure at such scale so it's irrelevant really.

The only clue being the number of reported deaths. If Vietnam can report a daily average of 100,000 cases and 20 deaths ......................

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Lock up these so called experts. They are always predicting stupid numbers. These imbeciles are always causing panic. They are fear mongering lunatics. 

Do not listen. Do not buy their fear and panic. Take a deep breath. 

I trust experts opinions more than non-expert’s opinions on Thai Visa forums. 
Time will tell if cases increase. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Lock up these so called experts. They are always predicting stupid numbers. These imbeciles are always causing panic. They are fear mongering lunatics. 

Do not listen. Do not buy their fear and panic. Take a deep breath. 

I trust experts opinions more than non-expert’s opinions on Thai Visa forums. 
Time will tell if cases increase. 

• Like 1

Covid numbers, Songkran (in general all) road fatalities, tourist numbers, the number of poverty stricken people, the number of Hi-Sos, the number of Generals in Thailand & how much they earn, the Russian reported civilian deaths in Ukraine, the number of parties Boris went to . . . . . . <deleted>? All complete & utter BS.

Oh & I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus & the Tooth Fairy (but I wouldn't mind an Easter egg today).