Thai people saying "you" in Thai

BudRight

I find a lot of Thai people say "you" in Thai when referring to me and it seems rude and irritating. It's also confusing because อยู่ is a very common word. I've asked people not to do this and have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. Might as well tell them I'm a space alien from planet Terberium. 

• Confused 1

Its not a big deal is it...  “Hey YOU, where you go ?’....  

It doesn’t sound nice, but completely ignoring the question isn’t nice either (and thats how I handle the ‘you’ think in most contexts)

TukTuk drivers riding along side you as you walk down the street (you, you..... You... he, You, you... )... 

But, its better than the ‘Clap of hands’ to get your attention, or even worse... the ‘kiss’ or the exaggerated sound of ‘sucking with lips pursed’ to make that horrible sound that some motorcycle guys and Tuk-Tuks do.. 

Just ignore it !!... thats all you can do. 

• Like 1

I have seen Thai people use the the other person's nickname instead of the pronoun with close friends. One woman I know uses "you" or "u" with one of her friends although this is not the friend's nickname. In a way, it is just this woman's personal nickname for this particular friend, who doesn't mind it at all.

And in conversation with this friend, she refers to herself as "I". For all I know, they have been doing this since their time together at university.

Edited by Puccini

5 hours ago, Puccini said:

I have seen Thai people use the the other person's nickname instead of the pronoun with close friends. One woman I know uses "you" or "u" with one of her friends although this is not the friend's nickname. In a way, it is just this woman's personal nickname for this particular friend, who doesn't mind it at all.

And in conversation with this friend, she refers to herself as "I". For all I know, they have been doing this since their time together at university.

Using the English pronouns "I" and "you" is quite common with non-rural Thais under 40 (when talking in Thai with Thai friends).

How does OP want to be addressed? "Khun" is from the textbooks and expresses social distance,  it is downright rude when speaking to one's partner.  Thai friends would probably want to use a nickname for him, but that might very well be อ้วน (the obvious choice for us) - happy with this? In more formal situations,  would OP understand if he were called ลูกค้า?

13 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

where you live but here in Isaan they are very abrupt and direct, and I think has a lot to do with their very basic / primitive language. Seem to have one word that could apply to many different things....particularIy if to do with something foreign. Like "nom" can be milk in a bottle or breasts. Cow can mean rice or the color white, and I think various other things too.

I don't know Issan language, but I know Thai language and I don't think it's a basic /primitive language

for "nom" which means "breast" and " milk", every language ( including  English ) has words which have different meanings

for " cow ", you don't seem to know the language well, spelling is different and they are not the same words ( even if for you it's always the same " cow " : in fact, 13 different spellings and meanings, with different pronounciation ) , common in Thai language, but 13 is uncommon I admit 

51 minutes ago, Aforek said:

I don't know Issan language, but I know Thai language and I don't think it's a basic /primitive language

for "nom" which means "breast" and " milk", every language ( including  English ) has words which have different meanings

for " cow ", you don't seem to know the language well, spelling is different and they are not the same words ( even if for you it's always the same " cow " : in fact, 13 different spellings and meanings, with different pronounciation ) , common in Thai language, but 13 is uncommon I admit 

I agree with Kenny, and disagree with you.

All the Thai languages are primitive, leading to many 'misunderstandings' even between native speakers.

• Like 2

I think it's common for farang to become frustrated by the Thai language and just write it off as primitive. About local dialects, I sit at a bar in Glasgow I can barely understand a word being spoken, the only reason I can understand anything is I used to work with a Glaswegian chef.

Yes, red gold (copper), hard water (ice) and things like that may seem childish, and there are many borrowed words in the Thai language, computing terminology for example. . . but a vast swathe of English vocabulary is borrowed from French, Latin, other romance languages.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As is 'hey, farang'.

Personally I prefer the Philippines where they call me 'sir' or sometimes 'boss'.

They used to call after me in the street .........' Hey chicken legs '. so I started wearing jeans.

On my last visit it was ' Hey Baldy '  or the tagalog version ' Kalbo '  but there were so many other Baldies that i liked to imagine it was one of the others they were calling.

@BudRight I don't like this either or that we are made to feel "other" in so many different ways - I find Thailand to be quite xenophobic to foreigners and this becomes more clear the more advanced you become at the language. Don't pay much mind to the other posters insulting you, this is generally a very toxic forum.

Edited by AventurasEnMadrid

• 4 weeks later...