Why are westerners so offended over the word farang? Get over it.

webfact

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

I know a Japanese from a Thai. Can speak to them in their language even. Why can't they educate themselves? Ignorant and racist.

Where are you from?

Australia

Is that in Europe or near America?

Clueless

No, you, in Thailand think you are still in Faraland and the locals should be like you, but after all, to them, you sound like the thing you are complaining about, a know it all Farangy......????......????

And may I suggest, you also have ignorant folk in your Farangland, but you will say..."Oh, no we don't, we never use derogatory words there"...????.............????

You know..."What the <deleted> are ya talkin about mate", or.."Are you a Pom mate"....Totally unheard of....????

2 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Actually based on Thai National ID or Not. My Foreigner Pink ID Card is Issued by Yet Rejected by All Thai Govt (because No Photo & Poor Name Translation BUT accept TDL though) BUT Ponk ID would get me Thai Citizen National Park or Mall Aquarium Prices ( both never done). 

Why would a pink card (really for migrant workers) that says "non-Thai" on the front allow you to get Thai discount? 

59 minutes ago, transam said:

No, you, in Thailand think you are still in Faraland and the locals should be like you, but after all, to them, you sound like the thing you are complaining about, a know it all Farangy......????......????

And may I suggest, you also have ignorant folk in your Farangland, but you will say..."Oh, no we don't, we never use derogatory words there"...????.............????

You know..."What the <deleted> are ya talkin about mate", or.."Are you a Pom mate"....Totally unheard of....????

Rubbish. I hate the racist bogans. They are ignorant and racist.

These people exist because they don't get called on it.

I like Thais generally but let's not pretend they are all perfect.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Why would a pink card (really for migrant workers) that says "non-Thai" on the front allow you to get Thai discount? 

If it was 50 vs 100 baht who cares but 40 vs 400 is a rort.

Muay Thai too you have Thai prices written in Thai and foreign prices written in English.

Just now, Sparktrader said:

Muay Thai too you have Thai prices written in Thai and foreign prices written in English.

Maybe because many Thais can't read English and many foreigners can't read Thai. 

What is your point? 

Do you want them both in English or both in Thai? 

49 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And.. why present a reef as ‘farangs’ of Upon, are there no foreigners in your group who also want to pay their respects but are not caucasian?.... 

Always thought that is somehow disrespectful, or ignorant. 

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Maybe because many Thais can't read English and many foreigners can't read Thai. 

What is your point? 

Do you want them both in English or both in Thai? 

English price is a rip off. I want the Thai price.

Could you imagine a western country doing this?

Locals 50 baht

Asians 500 baht

The business would be closed down and fined.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If you read the back, it says you need written authorisation to leave your province. Has basically no use and was started to keep track of migrant workers and give them health care. 

I've met foreigners that bare proud to have this card, thinking it makes raises their status here, when in fact it relegated them to Burmese labourer level. Thais will laugh at farang with this card. 

What a load of tosh.....????

8 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Rubbish. I hate the racist bogans. They are ignorant and racist.

These people exist because they don't get called on it.

I like Thais generally but let's not pretend they are all perfect.

Well there we have it, you don't even like sayings in your own country, you think you're posh.....Mate......????.................????

9 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Locals 50 baht

Asians 500 baht

Like Disneyworld in the USA?

I was charged 5,000 baht more at Royal Melbourne golf club than my Australian friend, just because I am a foreigner. This happens in all countries, geez.

Just now, Sparktrader said:

Wrong you were charged as a non member.

I was charged as a foreign guest, my Ozzie friend was charged as an Australian guest. They have a three tier price system, those living in Victoria, Interstate guests and foreigners. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I was charged as a foreign guest, my Ozzie friend was charged as an Australian guest. They have a three tier price system, those living in Victoria, Interstate guests and foreigners. 

Then dont play there. Goat track anyway. Vic is a weird state.

I've never seen 3 way prices at any course in NSW or QLd.

51 minutes ago, transam said:

Very picky......????

Indeed.... 

And I would choose to see the positive intent in the gesture and completely ignore the ‘clumsiness’ of using the term farang (in the example provide of putting ‘Farangs of Ubon’ on the reef).

However, the question was asked... 

Its the same as this thread...  when the term farang is used in reference to myself or others by strangers it really doesn't bother me.... But, when asked the question, I have an opinion and that opinion is that the use of the term ‘farang’ is clumsy, there are better more appropriate alternatives. 

28 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Locals 50 baht

Asians 500 baht

Not true DISNEY do it in Florida !

"Walt Disney World Resort! Florida Residents can save 40% on 4-Day Tickets and 30% on 3-Day Tickets"

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Like Disneyworld in the USA?

I was charged 5,000 baht more at Royal Melbourne golf club than my Australian friend, just because I am a foreigner. This happens in all countries, geez.

You are wrong - its not because you are a foreigner. Its becuase you were not a resident. 

A Thai Person, or anyone else living in the area with proof they are a resident would be charged the same as your ‘Australian friend’ who is also a resident. 

So... its not the same.... 

I wish people would think intelligently before putting forwards such flawed excuses to justify dual pricing...  Additionally, even if it did happen elsewhere, it doesn’t make it acceptable. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Not true DISNEY do it in Florida !

WRONG - Disney do not to that. 

Local residents, regardless of their nationality or race, get local residents price. 

What you are alluding to is IF a Thai person is a resident of Florida, lives and works in Florida and has proof of his residency there, he will be charged extra because he is Thai while his American neighbour will be charged the local residents discount...... This is not true at all. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

WRONG - Disney do not to that. 

Local residents, not matter their nationality get local residents price. 

What you are alluding to is IF a Thai person is a resident of Florida, lives and works in Florida and has proof of his residency there, he will be charged extra because he is Thai while his American neighbour will be charged the local residents discount...... This is not true at all. 

'Walt Disney World Resort! Florida Residents can save 40% on 4-Day Tickets and 30% on 3-Day Tickets"

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/florida-residents-tickets-passes/&ved=2ahUKEwipzcXQraf3AhWlTmwGHUxMBisQFnoECBUQBQ&usg=AOvVaw1uz6dNkgkJFVLIzBrLLQSa

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed.... 

And I would choose to see the positive intent in the gesture and completely ignore the ‘clumsiness’ of using the term farang (in the example provide of putting ‘Farangs of Ubon’ on the reef).

However, the question was asked... 

Its the same as this thread...  when the term farang is used in reference to myself or others by strangers it really doesn't bother me.... But, when asked the question, I have an opinion and that opinion is that the use of the term ‘farang’ is clumsy, there are better more appropriate alternatives. 

"Farangs of Ubon" was put on the wreaths by the Thai organisers of the event who were paying for it, now do you honesty believe that the Thai toffs would write it on a wreath being derogatory to the fallen, now come on.........????

What it is, is some farangs in LOS getting their knickers in a twist over a recognised, used daily word....The posh farangies.....????