Why are westerners so offended over the word farang? Get over it.

webfact

I don't mind the word but I don't think it makes a lot of sense whenever it's used. When Thais talk about tourists (in general), they almost always use the word farang. 

Though, what about Japanese, Chinese or African tourists? I'd prefer the word alien or foreigner. Pretty much anything that makes sense. Farang targets a very specific kind of foreigner (white, western). It's not a catch-all term. 

For instance, when talking about white European people farang absolutely makes sense. But when talking about entry rules for foreigners (in general), why say farang when what you really mean is foreigner?

It's probably easier to say farang for Thai people rather than foreigner, and most probably have never heard the term Alien, so I get it. I still get irritated sometimes when people use it wrongly. 

Edited by thanaka
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, thanaka said:

It's probably easier to say farang for Thai people rather than foreigner, and most probably have never heard the term Alien, so I get it. I still get irritated sometimes when people use it wrongly.

I'd never heard of the term 'alien' to refer to a foreigner until I came to Thailand. 

There is a word in Thai for alien -  'dtang dao' 

'manoot dtang dao' is for an alien from outer space, which is strange as 'manoot' means 'human'

On 4/24/2022 at 2:15 PM, Neeranam said:

be careful with Gu also

As I understand it Gu refers to oneself, the problem word would be it's second person equivalent, Meung. I hear both words commonly used but only among close friends.

Edited by ozimoron

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I'd never heard of the term 'alien' to refer to a foreigner until I came to Thailand. 

There is a word in Thai for alien -  'dtang dao' 

'manoot dtang dao' is for an alien from outer space, which is strange as 'manoot' means 'human'

The word "alien" appears in Article One of the United States Constitution, circa 1787.

You may not have come across it, but it's been in use for quite a long time. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, thanaka said:

Though, what about Japanese, Chinese or African tourists? I'd prefer the word alien or foreigner. Pretty much anything that makes sense. Farang targets a very specific kind of foreigner (white, western). It's not a catch-all term. 

For instance, when talking about white European people farang absolutely makes sense. But when talking about entry rules for foreigners (in general), why say farang when what you really mean is foreigner?

When referring to foreigners in general, the Thais will say "khon thang shat."  The loose translation is "people from other countries."

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

When referring to foreigners in general, the Thais will say "khon thang shat."  The loose translation is "people from other countries."

I wondered why Mrs.Trans used the word "shat" when looking at me...????

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, zoltannyc said:

Actually it should be more like "chaat"  ชาวต่างชาติ.

more evidence why people should learn to read before trying to speak Thai if they want to พูดชัด "poot chut".

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

The word "alien" appears in Article One of the United States Constitution, circa 1787.

You may not have come across it, but it's been in use for quite a long time. 

Maybe, but it's never been in the Scottish Constitution. 

15 hours ago, ozimoron said:

As I understand it Gu refers to oneself, the problem word would be it's second person equivalent, Meung. I hear both words commonly used but only among close friends.

That's right. 

I read a book by Ajarn Buddadhassa Bhikkhu, the famous Thai monk. 

He uses 'goo' instead of I, as the use of I is not good gor getting rid of ego, self etc. 

9 minutes ago, skorp13 said:

If you can't learn to live with it....then yeah. Why stay and constantly be offended and unhappy?

He's probably not offended and unhappy. Many people actually enjoy complaining about things ????‍♂️.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 8:11 PM, Neeranam said:

Yes, they asked to see proof of citizenship. image.png.1d26919531867e3788642210737a80d9.png

Well, I'll take your word for it.  But I lived in Australia for 30 years and have never seen any business ask for citizenship before determining the price of something, and I suspect it might not hold up in a court of law if someone tried to challenge it.   

However, if that place is actually a government owned institution, then yes they can impose higher fees for foreign nationals since a lots of social services are subsidized in Australia for their citizens 

Edited by Time Traveller

1 hour ago, Time Traveller said:

Well, I'll take your word for it.  But I lived in Australia for 30 years and have never seen any business ask for citizenship before determining the price of something, and I suspect it might not hold up in a court of law if someone tried to challenge it.   

However, if that place is actually a government owned institution, then yes they can impose higher fees for foreign nationals since a lots of social services are subsidized in Australia for their citizens 

I meant that they asked your citizenship if you are from another state in Australia.

However, after asking my friend, he said he wasn't asked for this but just a letter from the golf club he was a  member of. 

Sorry, I am wrong and assumed he was asked to prove he was Australian.