Onward or return ticket needed ?

I'm currently out of the country, but have a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement, expiring Feb 2023 (with re-entry permit!). Just to be completely clear in these changeable times, as things stand I can re-enter Thailand on a one-way ticket ?

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

One way ticket fine.

Note at check in for flight show the clerk your reentry permit. 

Aside: for TP insurance $20k just select 30 day cover. 

Only 30 days enough? 

Im in same situation, so if correct it would be a relief. 

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes. 30 has you covered.

You will be stamped in according to reentry permit. 

I also have a 6 month traveling insurance that covers covid, and heard someone got a translated statement based on the requirements by Thai officials, that they cover the requirements. Not sure it is approved or not by thai officials. I guess it would be getting the “passport” approval would be the bottleneck. 

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I also have a 6 month traveling insurance that covers covid, and heard someone got a translated statement based on the requirements by Thai officials, that they cover the requirements. Not sure it is approved or not by thai officials. I guess it would be getting the “passport” approval would be the bottleneck. 

Any type of insurance policy that covers COVID will be accepted.

unless the face sheet/certificate of your policy explicitly states this (most don't), you'll need to ask the insuter to provide a letter confirming your dates and level of coverage and that it includes COVID.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sheryl said:
1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Any type of insurance policy that covers COVID will be accepted.

unless the face sheet/certificate of your policy explicitly states this (most don't), you'll need to ask the insuter to provide a letter confirming your dates and level of coverage and that it includes COVID.

A little bit naughty, I know... I but I edited the PDF 'letter of insurance' to include ‘covid cover’ in the wording as the insurance policy I was using is an excellent policy that ‘covers everything’ but didn’t specifically specify covid.

Why?...  ‘cos I am sick of playing these covid games to meet requirements for no other reason than to check off a ’tick box’. 

(and I wanted to be sure this would work this time while I have a backup policy I know works).

At the moment I have two separate insurance policies:

1) from last June (expires this June) - the letter of cover does state Covid cover (its US$3 Million cover, inpatient only).

2) from work, commenced in Jan - the letter did not specify covid cover (its US£2 Million cover, inpatient, outpatient, dental, optical).

So, I’m covered twice, I just wanted to be sure that my company insurance would be accepted. I knew it wouldn’t without the ‘correct specific wording’...  instead of messing around, I just played their game and gave them what they want to see [Thai MoPH / CCSA / MFA or whoever decides what is required in the insurance letter). 

Edited by richard_smith237

16 hours ago, Hummin said:

Only 30 days enough? 

Im in same situation, so if correct it would be a relief. 

My understanding is that the insurance cover has to be for the period of your stay, ie till the expiry date of your retirement "visa". Unless the rules have changed again. 

3 minutes ago, kennw said:

My understanding is that the insurance cover has to be for the period of your stay, ie till the expiry date of your retirement "visa". Unless the rules have changed again. 

30 day cover is sufficient.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kennw said:

The rules agree with you. Actual practice disagrees. As mentioned above however long you will be stamped in for a 30 day insurance is always accepted.

• Like 1

This "must show return/onward ticket at immigration to get tourist visa exempt" MYTH never seems to die.

It's probably on some Thai embassy website covered in cobwebs, along with the "must have 20,000 baht cash". When was the last time anyone got a printed ticket (as opposed to a print of the PDF the airline sends)? And who carries that much cash normally anyway - plastic rules! 

Has ANYONE ever been asked to show a return ticket? Or is it just me with my air of honesty and respectability that wows the IOs?

I have been coming to Thailand for more than forty years, always on the VOA thing, never asked to show a ticket (or money) - for the first few years I was travelling on Airline Staff "subject to load" tickets which are basically toilet paper if the flight is full (unless you're sleeping with the Station Manager, he was quite a hunk I remember but not my type ha ha ha ???? ) (Actually for Gulf Air he was a she and a very nice, helpful and friendly lady but we never got that close ???? )

Nowdays I DO have a return ticket, but it's a PDF in an email that I could have easily edited myself. Like I said I have NEVER had to show it.

I already know the answer, but I am checking because nothing in the world of travel seems to be normal anymore.  I just bought a one way ticket to Bangkok, and I don't want to book the return yet.  Can I still apply for a 90 day visa if I book (a real actual) one way ticket out of the country on day #90?  Does anyone see any problem?  Thanks in advance for your help in this matter.  

Merwan

6 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Has ANYONE ever been asked to show a return ticket? Or is it just me with my air of honesty and respectability that wows the IOs?

Traveling from Vietnam I managed to explain that my retirement visa means I am returning to my home.  Another guy had to buy a ticket to somewhere ($50) before he was issued a boarding pass. 

6 hours ago, nglodnig said:

It doesn't have to be a return ticket. Any onward flight will cover it.

The ticket is often required by the airline at departure to issue boarding pass.

At many airports and many airlines it's an automatic check.

This is for flying without visa or reentry permit.  

I also have been coming into Thailand for many years on O retirement or normal 3 month O visa, and before that VOA.  I have never ever been asked to show any return ticket or proof of funds on arrival.

i think that these requirements are a hang over from the "Hippy traveller" days when there was an entry restriction for "Suspect Hippy"

Anyone remember the description of a "Hippy" posted at Don Muang arrivals area?  

Or the Singapore warning that  anyone with 'long hair' would be served last at all government offices?

"Suspect Hippy,  in Transit"  (<deleted>) stamped in your passport by Immigration.

Covid has allowed this mentality to resurface with the Thailand Pass restrictions

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It doesn't have to be a return ticket. Any onward flight will cover it.

The ticket is often required by the airline at departure to issue boarding pass.

At many airports and many airlines it's an automatic check.

This is for flying without visa or reentry permit.  

Nope - never happened - to me at least.  I have frequently flown on one-way tickets, or with onward or return flight with another airline  - or sometimes purchased the return or onward leg in Thailand.

My wife checked in with her British passport once (no visa) with a return of several months away - they looked at her place of birth and was asked "you've got a Thai passport as well I presume?" (she did) and she got on no problem.

Edited by nglodnig
  • Haha 1