Problems Taking Too Many Antibiotics In Thai Language, Any Help Please?

Milo

Hi all, know quite a few of you out there speak, read and write Thai. Mate of mine Mal (can't seem to post here for some reason, keeps getting the 'inelegable to post' icon for some reason), having a little bother with the mother-in-law. He and wife have a 6-month old daughter, MIL's staying with them to take care of her, poor kid's got the sniffles, not even a proper cold, and recovering as I write this. Bit of a power struggle's developed, MIL berating his wife daily as to how she needs to go to the hospital for medicine. As we all know too many antibiotics aren't any good for you, especially in these younger years when building resistance to disease, do any of you have anything saying this, or even a link to something in Thai that both his wife and MIL could read?

Thanks in advance, anything you can offer would be much appreciated

Milo

Not so sure it will work anyway as in my experience most Thai doctors prescribe antibiotics as a first measure for most ailments, so this is what Thais are used to. I will see if I can find any sites supporting the restrictive view.

Reporting German studies supporting a connection between antibiotic use and a higher incidence of allergies (East Germans had fewer allergies than West Germans before the wall came down, but have now caught up, studies suggest the main reason is antibiotics use in the West): http://www.thaihealth.net/h/article462.html

It should be noted that in some cases antibiotics are required even in small children, and it would be unwise not to use them. But in the case of mere sniffles as you say, surely it would be overkill.

The following article discusses the results of improper use of antibiotics and the problems it creates worldwide. The language used is quite dry and perhaps too advanced for people without sufficient education. It advises against indiscriminate use of antibiotics but focuses on people using it incorrectly, not mentioning lazy prescribers. The advice is to not buy and use antibiotics without consulting a doctor, and to follow the doctor's prescribed amounts and time frame: http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:8kM55z...;cd=2&gl=se

I looked for a long time but couldn't find more than that I am afraid - googling in Thai is a tougher chore than in English or Swedish. Not so sure it will help convince anybody...

Anyways, I gave it a try.

Hi all, know quite a few of you out there speak, read and write Thai. Mate of mine Mal (can't seem to post here for some reason, keeps getting the 'inelegable to post' icon for some reason), having a little bother with the mother-in-law. He and wife have a 6-month old daughter, MIL's staying with them to take care of her, poor kid's got the sniffles, not even a proper cold, and recovering as I write this. Bit of a power struggle's developed, MIL berating his wife daily as to how she needs to go to the hospital for medicine. As we all know too many antibiotics aren't any good for you, especially in these younger years when building resistance to disease, do any of you have anything saying this, or even a link to something in Thai that both his wife and MIL could read?

Milo

Who is it that actually needs educating here.  You say that Mil is having trouble with the motherinlaw, yet he is the one berating his wife everyday to go to the hospital.

Mil/Milo very close maybe you are Mil!

Anyhow a cold is a virus and antibiotics have absoulutley no affect on viruses.  It suprises a lot of people why some Thai Doctors would prescribe antibiotics for such ailments.  Maybe you MIlo or yor friend Mil should educate your doctor who would then inform Mil or the motherinlaw the fundimental fact of antibiotic use.

Antibiotics are for bacterial infecions not viruses - a cold is a virus

Thanks meadish,

much appreciated, exactly what we're worried about, Thai Doctor's gonna fill this poor kid full of pills simply to justify his existance! MIL will have been proved right, Mal's gotta eat some grass and his poor daughter won't stand a chance of developing her own immunity to anything!!

Still searching previous posts, about the 50th page now...

Milo

Find your local community health centre or one nearby where there are nurses who speak English. As in many western countries the nurses have are quite familiar with health education, prevention, and the overuse of antibiotics. They are also out ranked by the Drs. who also get incentives from drug companies to prescribe.

If you do find a sympathetic nurse, she will be your best advocate. The other issue is diet. My stepson (12yrs) also gets a lot of sniffles. After a lot of hassling on my part, my wife, and parents I-L now sort of agree that green vegies, less snacks and fried food will help him become stronger. This is supported by 2 local Drs. But they still dole out the meds. Its a slow process. I think when the public health system runs out of money soon, we may see some changes. Tim