Florida Senate passes bill to end Disney self-government

As Walt Disney Corp. had the temerity to exercise their First Amendment rights by criticizing HB 1557,

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/1557

the florida governor has now decided to hold a mouse, princess, jedi and an avenger hostage.

Most rational people see this for the political stunt that it is, given the waiver allowed in June 2023 after the mid-terms.

It is illegal and unconstitutional in so many ways, hardly surprising as it was slapped together in ~ three days.

Florida Senate passes bill to end Disney self-government

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — The Florida Senate on Wednesday passed a bill to repeal a law allowing Walt Disney World to operate a private government over its properties in the state, escalating a feud with the entertainment giant over its opposition to what critics call the “ Don’t Say Gay ” law.

The proposal could have huge tax implications for Disney, whose series of theme parks have over the decades transformed Orlando into one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations. And Democrats have warned that the move could cause local homeowners to get hit with big tax bills if they have to absorb bond debt from Disney — although such details are far from clear.

https://apnews.com/article/travel-business-arts-and-entertainment-florida-orlando-764fd04befeb51ca0a48c1c143e690ab

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022C/4C/BillText/er/PDF

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Amen. They should close their doors, shutter their overpriced hotels, sell off all their property to China, and move to another state that appreciates the company's wokeness.  That'll teach Florida. ????????

Care to provide factual data on the illegality and unconstitutionality of the bill, or was that just your opinion? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, mikebike said:

It is illegal/unconstitutional to make a law which applies to only one person/entity.

You mean to no longer allow the Disney corporation to self govern themselves?  The special tax district Disney has enjoyed for years saves them millions of dollars per year in exemptions from various regulations, taxes, and fees.  So yes it seems like it only applies to them.  My comment about Disney leaving was dripping with sarcasm.  They cannot and will not move from their current location....they couldn't afford it.  Governments aren't allowed to be vindictive?  You mean like the Affordable Care Act that allowed the IRS to penalize people for not having insurance (fortunately that penalty ended in 2019). Also, ever heard of any eminent domain abuses by the government?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, howlee101 said:

Care to provide factual data on the illegality and unconstitutionality of the bill, or was that just your opinion? 

I guess it's an opinion, those are allowed here, right? We're not in Florida so I'm guessing "Yes"?

Conservative Media Cheering DeSantis Crackdown on Disney Are Ignoring What a Catastrophe It Would Be for Florida

In addition to the free speech, property rights, and equal protection grounds, there is also the simple fact that repealing RCID without the consent of the voting landowners is prohibited by current state law.

Section 189.072(2) of the Florida Statutes restricts how the legislature can dissolve an active independent special district like RCID, requiring the vote of “a majority of the landowners voting in the same manner by which the independent special district’s governing body is elected.” HC 3C begins “Notwithstanding s. 189.072(2),” so the bill drafters are clearly aware of this provision but there’s nothing in the short text of the bill that could overcome the rights of the RCID voting landowners.

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/conservative-media-cheering-desantis-crackdown-on-disney-are-ignoring-what-a-catastrophe-it-would-be-for-florida/

• Like 1

A $2K assessment per person in that county for debt -plus no $164M yearly payout to the county from Disney, plus increased waste water treatment problems.

Plus you can say it's restraint of trade or retribution for free speech and tie it up in court forever.

De Santis acted tough against imaginary wokeness, nothing will change, but the play acting will help him '24.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, howlee101 said:

You mean to no longer allow the Disney corporation to self govern themselves? 

The special tax district Disney has enjoyed for years saves them millions of dollars per year in exemptions from various regulations, taxes, and fees.  

Public/private partnership are often good things (airports, hospitals) dumb things, (sporting arena's), or harmless things (business improvement districts Ala Disney). They are seldom outright nefarious things. 

Why do you believe that Disney has been a particularly bad public partnership? They seem very middling in terms of county support.

What do you want them to do or not do? Do you believe that Disney is exempt from state or federal EPA laws?

They can issue bonds at the municipal interest rates. That's the only thing I can think of as advantaged. Disney bond issuance would be merely a rounding error even in just among Florida municipal bonds.

• Like 1

The situation is simple:

In Florida, government is a pay-for-play arrangement.  Gov DeSantis received at least $100,000 from Disney contributions.  https://www.newsweek.com/ron-desantis-pac-disney-contributions-1699788

Disney not only criticized the bill restricting discussions of sexual orientation between students and teachers, Disney also "paused" political contributions in Florida.   https://www.reuters.com/world/us/disney-pause-florida-political-donations-over-law-limiting-lgbtq-discussion-2022-03-11/

DeSantis and his Republican lapdog government are punishing Disney for "interfering" in state government.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 2

Disney was something like $180 per adult for a 3 day pass around 20 years ago when I took my family there.

They can go pound sand with those prices and the minimum wage they paid Goofy and Mickey to stand around all costumed up in that heat.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There is nothing wrong with government having a fresh look at the exceptional arrangement that Disney has.

It might be good for the state or it might not.

"Fresh look" = broken agreement.

Why would I want to move my biz to Florida if they reserve the right to take "fresh looks" whenever they feel like it at signed on the dotted line deals?

The time for fresh looks is before the deal.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

"Fresh look" = broken agreement.

Why would I want to move my biz to Florida if they reserve the right to take "fresh looks" whenever they feel like it at signed on the dotted line deals?

The time for fresh looks is before the deal.

Exactly. No doubt the county offerd Disney all sorts of favors and compensation for turning that swampland into the biggest tourist attraction in the state. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, howlee101 said:

You mean to no longer allow the Disney corporation to self govern themselves?  The special tax district Disney has enjoyed for years saves them millions of dollars per year in exemptions from various regulations, taxes, and fees.  So yes it seems like it only applies to them.  My comment about Disney leaving was dripping with sarcasm.  They cannot and will not move from their current location....they couldn't afford it.  Governments aren't allowed to be vindictive?  You mean like the Affordable Care Act that allowed the IRS to penalize people for not having insurance (fortunately that penalty ended in 2019). Also, ever heard of any eminent domain abuses by the government?

The special tax district also required Disney to maintain roads, utilities, sanitation, fire department, etc.  Services normally provided by local governments, with varying degrees of competence  Disney has been doing very well at providing these services.  The local governments are suddenly being tasked with taking over.  We'll see how well that goes, and how much taxes will have to be raised to pay for the services that will not longer be provided by Disney.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 9:22 AM, howlee101 said:

My guess is he will be the Republican nominee

He certainly wishes that.

In about a year from now the fangs are going to be bared and we're going to see the likes former FL governor Tim Scott, Pompeo (who just lost around 400 pounds), and just about every GOP pol you've heard make screwball claims in recent years.  It's going to be a fun spectator sport, it always is when the fakers attack the other fakers. 

What I'm waiting for is assessments of incompetence based on the testimonies they give, e.g. "you cannot recall whether or not you discussed an insurrection of the U.S. Gov't with the president?  That sounds like a disqualifying case of mental incapacity!"

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Orlando was a small city of less than 100,000 people before Disney came to Florida.  Now it is a city of 2.5 million and a major tourism draw for the state.  Because Disney Corp. had the temerity to criticize a bit of ridiculous regulation backed by DeSantis, the governor wants to "cut off his nose to spite his face".

"Orange County Tax Collector Scott Randolph tweeted that if Reedy Creek is gone, so is the $105 million Disney collects from itself annually to operate those services."

"Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings says the financial impact on his county could be "catastrophic."

Randolph predicted in a WFTV-TV interview that it could mean a 20% to 25% increase in property taxes for Orange county residents."  https://www.yahoo.com/news/desantis-dissolves-disney-reedy-creek-100040635.html

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

Orlando was a small city of less than 100,000 people before Disney came to Florida.  Now it is a city of 2.5 million and a major tourism draw for the state.  Because Disney Corp. had the temerity to criticize a bit of ridiculous regulation backed by DeSantis, the governor wants to "cut off his nose to spite his face".

"Orange County Tax Collector Scott Randolph tweeted that if Reedy Creek is gone, so is the $105 million Disney collects from itself annually to operate those services."

"Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings says the financial impact on his county could be "catastrophic."

Randolph predicted in a WFTV-TV interview that it could mean a 20% to 25% increase in property taxes for Orange county residents."  https://www.yahoo.com/news/desantis-dissolves-disney-reedy-creek-100040635.html

Interesting 

Disney has been silent in response.

Maybe they should not fight it in court and let anti LGBT and anti truth in black history demagogue DeSantis stew in the actual consequences of his own toxic trumpy juices.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Go Woke, go Broke. Times have sure changed for Disney. I am sure Walt would be having a fit if he knew what had happened to his beloved moral company that he founded to entertain innocent children. Now Disney wants to proselytize the woke agenda in its quest to demoralize society. I will never watch a Disney flick again in my life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1