50 rules for life

Take a look at Constructive Living.

It's a Zen-based approach to the same 'stop whining, get on with it -but love yourself too-vibe.

Google Stoicism and Buddhism and you will get millions of hits.  Western Classical approach is more assumptive of a soul, whereas Buddha was most def NOT a Soul Man, like in the song.

24 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Take a look at Constructive Living.

It's a Zen-based approach to the same 'stop whining, get on with it -but love yourself too-vibe.

Google Stoicism and Buddhism and you will get millions of hits.  Western Classical approach is more assumptive of a soul, whereas Buddha was most def NOT a Soul Man, like in the song.

If there’s no soul, what gets reincarnated? 

I'd rather go a bit closer to the source.  I'm not saying that the above YouTuber has nothing to add, but personally I'd choose to read the books he has read and then come to my own conclusions.  He's a little too much of a "life coach compiling soundbites" and I'd prefer a bit more of an "intellectual discussing the ideas".

• Like 1

I'm pretty stoical then , until apathy gets the upper hand. 

Luckily , rule number one decides what I'm apathetic about.

Plus ....always look on the bright side of life :

You will likely do and experience many things , not knowing that you will never do or experience them again. There is a last time for everything and a lot of things you never get around to doing at all.

So number five should be ever in your plans.

Edited by Denim

51 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I meant soul as in self. 

I think his point was that there is no self, only soul, and whatever you do will affect your soul, even if it does not affect yourself.  As far as I can see, that is the future cockroach’s problem, and if my soul, rather than myself, was bothered about it, my soul, on behalf of the future cockroach, should take up arms against a sea of troubles (spiritually speaking) and by opposing, end them.

Personally, I’ve seen so little evidence to underpin that whole universal philosophy, and take a pretty “Que sera, sera” viewpoint.  Whether I come back as a cockroach or a lion is an issue for the future lion and cockroach, and I don’t feel able to judge which has the better life, nor which is higher or lower.  

16 minutes ago, Denim said:

I'm pretty stoical then , until apathy gets the upper hand. 

Luckily , rule number one decides what I'm apathetic about.

Plus ....always look on the bright side of life :

Big John Francis was an extra.  The point of films such as this is to give us confidence to do what we believe to be right, in the hope that things will turn out right, rather than equivocating and worrying about our own best way out.

If 100 rats run away, they will all be eaten.  If 99 rats stand and fight, then some may survive, but the one that runs away will be eaten first.

If you need YouTube to learn how to live, then you have not watched enough Ealing Comedies and Pinewood Studios.

11 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

If there’s no soul, what gets reincarnated? 

That is the most frustrating concept in Buddhism for me. Some scholars will say something like life energy. What I think is Buddha was the first Atheist in the World and a philosopher like confucius and he just tried to lay out decent rules of life that applies equally to all in the society, unlike the Brahmanical rules based on castes in which lower castes people must progress in stages of incarnation to achieve Atman. HIs audiences were mostly Hindu peasants/lower caste people and Brahmin scholars for debates. He needed a mechanism to install consequences of what would happen if you violate those rules. And he simply borrowed the concept of incarnation from hindu religion.

Edited by Onerak

13 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I'd rather go a bit closer to the source.  I'm not saying that the above YouTuber has nothing to add, but personally I'd choose to read the books he has read and then come to my own conclusions.  He's a little too much of a "life coach compiling soundbites" and I'd prefer a bit more of an "intellectual discussing the ideas".

I ordered the books. He is an author who wrote about these guys

Edited by Sparktrader

13 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Do what? We need the books to know what to do

How many books or videos do you need for that?

I agree that some books and videos have good advice. But it seems many people prefer to read 10 or more books and read the advice and then read another book and maybe compare them and think about them and to be sure read some more books.

And then there are people who read advice and do it. I.e. a very long time ago I read Dale Carnegie' book How to Win Friends and Influence People.

I read, I understood the meaning, and I acted accordingly. And it made me a better person and it made my life better.

Just reading doesn't change anything. Action, doing it, is the important part. 

Unless his first rule is  .......... 'never trust the woman in your bed' ....... he's an idiot.

Made it to rule 4, utter tosh ............

PS. His eyes, either insane or a speed freak.

PPS.

Rule number 1: You don't talk about Fight Club.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how many self help and self improve books many of us read over the years.

My preferred summary is: Stop reading, do it!

I've read ZERO ONE Two, they are written for the weak. 

Hang on, I did read how to load your own ammo and cast bullets.

And how to make soap.

TEOTWAWKI is coming!

Edited by BritManToo

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How many books or videos do you need for that?

I agree that some books and videos have good advice. But it seems many people prefer to read 10 or more books and read the advice and then read another book and maybe compare them and think about them and to be sure read some more books.

And then there are people who read advice and do it. I.e. a very long time ago I read Dale Carnegie' book How to Win Friends and Influence People.

I read, I understood the meaning, and I acted accordingly. And it made me a better person and it made my life better.

Just reading doesn't change anything. Action, doing it, is the important part. 

I know people who read that. They used the info to con people.

Watch it .... I couldn't get past the screenshot ... doesn't look very happy.

50 rules, no wonder

Rules to live by ... I'm more a rules to break / not to live by, just for spite.

Less rules work for me.

Rule #1, smile, be happy, do what makes you happy

Rule #2, if in doubt, refer to #1

Rule #3, don't hurt anyone

Rule #4, helps someone when you can

Who needs any more than 4 ... ????

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

I know people who read that. They used the info to con people.

I guess it's easier to con people if you (pretend) you are nice to people.

I guess most of these books and videos are about making yourself feeling better about yourself, feeling more confident and be more successful.

Are people successful when they con other people? And will they feel better about themselves if they do that? Maybe they will be richer, but I guess often they won't be happy.