Opening a bank account

Hi guys,

I do know that opening a bank account in thailand is also a metter of luck but wanted to ask, if i am entering the country with non b BOI and show this + letter of employment to the bank, is it more likely to be accepted or will they be strict about waiting for me having the work permit? ( it takes about 3 weeks and i would like to open an account before that)

thanks in advance.

• Haha 1

Having a certificate of residence would help, it's easy to get at immigration. Even without though, Bangkok Bank is pretty foreigner friendly or as a last resort, there are agents that can guarantee an account opening for you at a friendly branch. Many banks will also open an account for you but ask you to buy some expensive insurance first too.

There is no problem at all opening a bank account in Thailand. This question has been bored to death in several threads in this forum. After that you are talking about BOI???? In that case you would know they have people taking care of opening bank accounts for all people connected with BOI related affairs.

14 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

There is no problem at all opening a bank account in Thailand. This question has been bored to death in several threads in this forum. After that you are talking about BOI???? In that case you would know they have people taking care of opening bank accounts for all people connected with BOI related affairs.

i know everything about the open bank account in thailand questions. mine was specific though if just the non b stamp + letter of employment would be enough before my WP is ready (about 3 weeks)

12 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

There is no problem at all opening a bank account in Thailand.

I just had to get.a letter from immigration to open a bank account (for a non-o visa) and it wasn't exactly easy. First we had to talk to banks and ask them personally if they allowed this (not all do!) and then go to immigration in person and get a letter sent to us which took 2 weeks.

9 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I just had to get.a letter from immigration to open a bank account (for a non-o visa) and it wasn't exactly easy. First we had to talk to banks and ask them personally if they allowed this (not all do!) and then go to immigration in person and get a letter sent to us which took 2 weeks.

Why wouldn´t that be easy and why did you wait 2 weeks for a certificate of residency? They issue that as you wait. It takes 2-5 min.

From the BKK Bank website; Savings (bangkokbank.com)

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, drori8 said:

i know everything about the open bank account in thailand questions. mine was specific though if just the non b stamp + letter of employment would be enough before my WP is ready (about 3 weeks)

Yes, and I though my answer was specific enough. If connected to BOI, they will help you with a bank account. Seems like you missed some of that great knowledge you are posting about. What I was doing was helping you.

1 minute ago, DezLez said:

From the BKK Bank website; Savings (bangkokbank.com)

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

Yeah, they information is nicely written. Only very sad, that they are not using it.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, they information is nicely written. Only very sad, that they are not using it.

They do abide by it.   If you have a problem ask for the manager show them the article and tell him/her you will speak to head office if they procrastinate etc!   Simple!

I suggest you stop being so negative.

Edited by DezLez
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DezLez said:

They do abide by it.   If you have a problem ask for the manager show them the article and tell him/her you will speak to head office if they procrastinate etc!   Simple!

I suggest you stop being so negative.

Don´t need the info. Don´t need to talk to any manager. I just go to the desk and open an account. Have 4 at the moment in different banks, so I doubt I will be needing more. ???? Where am I negative? The only thing I have been needing is a passport and a certificate of residency. Also said it is easy in an earlier post. Again, where am I negative? Can´t hide the truth, can I? I am proof of that they do not use the information and guidelines you posted.

As this you posted: Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

It´s not a MUST!

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Why wouldn´t that be easy and why did you wait 2 weeks for a certificate of residency? They issue that as you wait. It takes 2-5 min.

He was referring to a certificate of residence in Bangkok.

In Bangkok the residence certificate takes between one to two weeks.

It is mailed out EMS and the cost is 200b. There is no express service.

Also in Bangkok in order to even apply for a certificate of residence you need to have made a 90 day report. 

That is not possible for many folk i.e those on tourist visa etc.

In the boon docks yes it works differently.

Banks such as Bangkok Bank will almost certainly require either a certificate of residence or letter from embassy. Note some embassies do not provide that. Oz being one example.

On the subject of opening a bank account the threads have so much misinformation. This is partly due to the more strict requirements partly down to money laundering laws. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Actually they do seem to be using it in my experience (but as usual it varies by branch you ask - Embassy letter with address and reason for opening account was recent requirement and from reports seems to be a normal ask these days.

10 hours ago, drori8 said:

I think you might have a shot with what you describe.

Many banks will insist upon the WP.

I suggest you try Kasikorn bank.

Also as most likely are aware the bank has a "hotline" to English speaking assistance.

The bank connects you and hands you the cell.

You can explain your situation and hopefully that will cover it.

Most likely you will not have a lease. If you do take it along. 

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Embassy letter with address and reason for opening account was recent requirement and from reports seems to be a normal ask these days.

It certainly is in Bangkok.

However not all embassies provide this service so folk should check that out before wasting time.

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Don´t need the info. Don´t need to talk to any manager. I just go to the desk and open an account.

Then I guess you have a work permit, because without one the majority of banks/branches won't open an account for you. OP doesn't have a WP yet, so most likely he has to try a few banks/branches before he finds one that will open an account for him.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Then I guess you have a work permit, because without one the majority of banks/branches won't open an account for you. OP doesn't have a WP yet, so most likely he has to try a few banks/branches before he finds one that will open an account for him.

No, I don´t have a work permit. Never been needed to open a bank account.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

He was referring to a certificate of residence in Bangkok.

In Bangkok the residence certificate takes between one to two weeks.

It is mailed out EMS and the cost is 200b. There is no express service.

Also in Bangkok in order to even apply for a certificate of residence you need to have made a 90 day report. 

That is not possible for many folk i.e those on tourist visa etc.

In the boon docks yes it works differently.

Banks such as Bangkok Bank will almost certainly require either a certificate of residence or letter from embassy. Note some embassies do not provide that. Oz being one example.

On the subject of opening a bank account the threads have so much misinformation. This is partly due to the more strict requirements partly down to money laundering laws. 

Tourists do not need a bank account. They are supposed to go home after their happy trip.

I just told my version, out of real life experience. I suggest you do that to, instead of butting in to every comment that doesn´t fit your way of thinking.

As for Bangkok, I have been given CoR, from immigration at the counter/desk. Was 5 years ago, though. Maybe they changed that to worse.

Edited by Gottfrid

15 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Tourists do not need a bank account. They are supposed to go home after their happy trip.

I just told my version, out of real life experience. I suggest you do that to, instead of butting in to every comment that doesn´t fit your way of thinking.

As for Bangkok, I have been given CoR, from immigration at the counter/desk. Was 5 years ago, though. Maybe they changed that to worse.

Many folk enter on tourist visa or visa exempt with the plan to obtain non O based on retirement or marriage at immigration.

It's a common pathway.

The difficulty is opening a bank account on a TV or visa exempt.

Your version of " real life experience" does not assist in how to open a bank account. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

As for Bangkok, I have been given CoR, from immigration at the counter/desk. Was 5 years ago, though. Maybe they changed that to worse

You would not obtain a residence certificate 'over the counter' today in Bangkok.

Not really interested in 5 year old experience. 

Your version of " real life experience" does not assist in how to open a bank account. 

Yes, it do! Just because you do not have the same experiences, does not mean that other can´t assist.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not really interested in 5 year old experience. 

I was not posting my original post for your interest. You do not own the thread, do you? Advice: Try to not think of yourself as the center of the world.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1