Thai Airways Takes Delivery Of 2 Boeing 777s On The Same Day

VBF

Probably a stupid question, but why do Thai Airways lose so much money? I know the airline industry is suffering generally, but Thai were in big trouble before Covid and everything else.

I've only ever used them for short haul, but it was a good service and I can't imagine staffing, catering costs etc. are high compared to other national carriers. I can only assume the problems are down to seriously poor business management. Maybe lack of vision? I can't recall ever seeing Thai Airways advertised on UK TV for example. 

Given that BA seem to have no intention of reinstating the LHR-BKK route anytime soon, I'd have gladly given Thai a try. But from what I hear it's too risky with many flight cancellations. 

11 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I can only assume the problems are down to seriously poor business management. Maybe lack of vision? I can't recall ever seeing Thai Airways advertised on UK TV for example. 

Given that BA seem to have no intention of reinstating the LHR-BKK route anytime soon, I'd have gladly given Thai a try. But from what I hear it's too risky with many flight cancellations. 

Very poor business management but In My Experience, Excellent Service. For years they were offering fully flexible at low fares but that has now changed and those flight prices are almost double (on any dates). No extra charges for seat selection however when you book the cheapest fares they will not allow you to select seats less than row 50 (they keep that quiet unless you ask). They are charging a lot more this summer so much so that I'm looking at alternative Star Alliance operators that give full mileage on cheaper fares (got to requalify for the Gold Card to get all the free business class upgrades on Thai ????). 

In the last 6 months I've done 3 roundtrips from London-Bangkok-London with Thai. All on time, no cancellations. Book direct and use a credit card for peace of mind.