Is the Weather noticeably hotter this year in Thailand?

webfact

days have been definitely hotter than usual, also all the unseasonal rain storms do not help either, by this time of the year our dam is usually almost dry but this year it is virtually overflowing and has been for weeks. Just 30 minutes outside and I am soaking wet, never happened before this year, the usual weather patterns appear to have changed a lot, making it hard to plan ahead with the trees and what we normally do in the dry season

• Like 1

What matters is how many hours per day it stays uncomfortably hot, not so much the numerical highs. Joe's chart above shows that the highs and lows don't really vary as much as the seasonal differences make us think. In "winter" there might be two uncomfortable hours in the early afternoon. Right now in Bangkok it can be "hot" at 9 am and last till 7 to 11 pm.

I normally walk an hour or two right after dark. But now I walk on the treadmill in the air con gym at noon and take a much shorter walk after dark. 

In 2016 I swore I would never spend another April in LOS, but the complexities of Covid screwed that up.

14 minutes ago, seajae said:

days have been definitely hotter than usual, also all the unseasonal rain storms do not help either, by this time of the year our dam is usually almost dry but this year it is virtually overflowing and has been for weeks. Just 30 minutes outside and I am soaking wet, never happened before this year, the usual weather patterns appear to have changed a lot, making it hard to plan ahead with the trees and what we normally do in the dry season

I think you being soaking wet after 30 minutes is more to do with humidity than absolute temperature. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shackleton said:

Yes it is getting hotter up here in Chai Nat 

Noticed the wife is  switching on the airconditioner earlier in the afternoon 

Off about 1700hrs  then on again later when we sleep 

Going to be some expensive electrical bills coming up

Just up the road, in Lat Yao, it’s warming up nicely ????

2D97C5E3-1910-4BC5-ACB1-4049C2C89D03.thumb.jpeg.46fd7266b9c9eb7a91eec6717ab2e5f6.jpeg

I think the last two years have been cooler than usual. This year, we even had a cool snap mid-March. January and Febrary saw cooler wether arrive just as the days started heating up.

We are almost through April and the unbearable heat has finally arrived.

• Like 1

In Udon Thani, definitely cooler overall this year. I had a bumper crop of beetroot and carrots, which usually start to die end of March. Highest temperature on my Maximum-minimum thermometer has been 39.5 Centigrade - usually would have had a half dozen 40 plus days by now. Last couple of days have been hot, 37-38 Centigrade, but has only done that about 7 or 8 times so far.

I have lived here for 12 years, so know what to expect. Climate change, yes, but it affects areas differently - the highs have not gone up, but the lows have. Ten years ago, in the cold season, you would see people dressed like Eskimos  in the morning, or sitting around wood fires to warm up, very rare now. In the cold season, now temperatures overnight about 15 Centigrade, or more. Now, last few days overnight temperatures have barely fallen below 30 Centigrade - indoors lowest has been 31.3 Centigrade. Just checked, and 35 Centigrade already and not even midday. The sun hasn't even got round to my room, does that about 2 p.m. and it will rise quickly then!

Rain - practically zero from October to March, very different 10 years ago. Well dry for only the second time in 12 years, but fish ponds slightly better due to the cooler winter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vandeventer said:

The heat hasn't really even hit us yet, so turn off your A/C's and get use to it. After all you didn't retire in the north pole. Remember things can always get worse, like having very hot weather in the burn off season, count your blessings.

Really??  38.6C in the shade isn't very hot? That is what it was here yesterday afternoon. This morning at 5:30am it had dropped to 25.4C.

At 12:30 pm, just now it is 36.8C and it will get hotter by mid afternoon.

Todays temp

25.4C = 77.7F

36,8C = 98.24F

Yesterday

38.6C = 101.48F

• Like 1

Weather is coming back to normal here.

Hot :biggrin:

BUT during March early and plenty of rain, beginning of April cold!

Some of "coldest" days people remember.
With greetings from China.

For me this year is NOT hotter than usual.

Tomorrow the sun peaks over Bangkok (89.9 at 12:15).

From previous years I remember the alarming messages about peak electric power usage for this day. Nothing seen so far.

BTW for the next few days a slight cool down expected.

EDIT: just noticed that there is news thread exactly confirming: :biggrin:

"Sun will be directly over Thailand on Wednesday, but not the hottest day"

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

This year hasn't seemed hotter than usual -- so far. I live in Nakhon Sawan, and I haven't seen the temperature go over 40° -- yet. I well remember the heat wave during April 2018. Every damned day it got up to 44-5°. That was hot. Don't know what next month will bring, and my Thai family are complaining that it's too hot, but I'm OK so far.

• Like 1

seems about normal, actually.

definitely not crazy where I'm like, "wow, it's never been this hot for so long before."   

it is hot?  yes.  uncomfortably hot?  yes.   cold at night?   not often.   Do I wish it was much, much colder, like 25?  yes.    people I know from the Philippines think Thailand is a little cold.    

15 hours ago, Inala said:

Informative article, for a minute there I thought it was going to be another of those alarmist left-wing articles promoting anthropological climate change which right now is the least of the world's problems. 

Tissues are available at 7-11---always open to dry your tears.....

• Confused 1

Strange all these different opinions. I was in Phuket Jan to 1 st March and found the weather unbearable in February. Spent over 20 snowbird years there so I know it’s hot. It was humid, stormy , high winds thunderstorms often evenings. I was glad to leave for Bangkok. There I just found it normal hot. I wouldn’t stay a long time in Phuket again. I only went to see my old friends. All said , I find the Pattaya area climate much better generally. I think the climate it getting more humid. 
Back in S France home, same thing, awful weather , tho apparently Jan/Feb was good. March and April cold , many parts of France completely dry, it’s warmer in the UK than Cannes !!!! 

• Like 1