OPINION: Why Thailand’s soft power is not as successful as South Korea’s

webfact

41 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

No surprise South Korea's soft power dwarfs Thailand. South Korea did a few things right, such as borrowing the economic model of Japan and building chaebols, the Korean equivalent of conglomerates like Mitsubishi, Sumitomo, Mitsui, etc. Working hard to improve quality, South Korean companies also followed the same road as Japan to reach world class industrial status.

Sixty years ago, if a product broke, the joke was, "Made in Japan". Then along came Toyota, Honda, Sony and a host of other companies (ironically following the industrial philosophy of W. Edwards Deming), who forced Western companies to get their acts together. South Korean quality was once poor; now few have many complaints about Samsung, LG, Hyundai, Kia, etc.

Because of the war, and the now-70 year presence of US troops in South Korea, that country had a bit of a ready audience. The country exploited that window and built upon it.

Entertainment kind of piggy-backed off of the industrial success and name recognition brought about through industry. Korean Soaps made a splash in former enemy Japan, then spread throughout the rest of Asia. It took a few decades, but now even a cutesy Boy Band like BTS is known in the US. Of course, the first big South Korean hit in the West was Gangnam Style by Psy.

Thailand lacks the industrial base that South Korea has, which put the country's name in front of consumers worldwide, and set the stage for soft power like BTS and Psy, or even kimchi. When folks elsewhere in the world think of South Korea, they think quality products at a decent price, and now even entertainment. When the world thinks of Thailand, it thinks spicy food and bargirls, or maybe Leonardo di Caprio and The Beach.

Thailand has a long way to go to catch South Korea, and shows no indication it can ever develop the industrial might that seems to be the first step in opening the door to soft power.

As above and I would throw in two basic seasons, summer/winter and this means people have always been used to planning for a cold time of the year. 

Thailand has really no winter and every day is the same as yesterday (basically) so planning has never been required. Any planning here is done by other nationalities.

• Like 2

South Korea (and Japan) have strong immigration and cultural ties with many American cities and states. They are a visible presence in the landscape. The intermixing of Koreans directly into America helps with the spread of its so-called "soft power."  Thais in the US are mostly grouped in one spot. Say "Thailand" and connections in the American mind are vague at best. At worst, they're like what I still keep getting from people who think I live in Taiwan. In terms of Asia and its soft power in the US, I would rank as follows: 1) Japan 2) China 3)South Korea 4) Vietnam 5)Cambodia (for not altogether good reasons). The rest are all a muddle, although Thailand may be near to being "best of the rest." And no, India doesn't count as part of this picture, while Singapore, if it's thought of as anything other than a World War II history documentary, gets mention only because it canes teenage boys for chewing bubble gum.

Edited by John Drake

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Unfortunately, such hype is somewhat short-lived and nowhere near South Korea’s success in its use of soft power, commonly known as the “Hallyu Wave”.

I thought with Thailands shallowness it would be the hub of soft-power.

Almost anything and everything triggers a stampede to copy.

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I thought with Thailands shallowness it would be the hub of soft-power.

Almost anything and everything triggers a stampede to copy.

I think you mean limp-d!ck power. It seems to excel at this. 

Korean "soft' power projects an aura of credibility and substance that comes from a solid foundation. They are the 10th largest of economy (from NOTHING but hard work with no natural resources) despite being about 1/4 of the size of Thailand.  The Koreans are world class in

• Ship building (#1)
  • Construction (They built the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, a Petronas Tower in Malaysia, the just-opened 1915 Canakkale Bridge in Turkey, etc.)
  • Sports (they're competitive in just about everything)
  • Classical music
  • Military strength and hardware production

The list can go on and on. It's laughable Thailand even dares to be compared with Korea, or any other first world country. They have a long way to go.

Edited by worldexpress
  • Like 1

"Why Thailand’s soft power is not as successful as South Korea’s?"

I'm surprised the author of the op-ed piece, presumably a reasonably edumacated thai citizen needs to ask such a question, unless rhetorically.

Any "power', "soft" certainly, needs to be tightly controlled. It cannot be ceded under any circumstances. Just look at the claw-backs since 1932.

"Hard" power? Meh. Been there, done that, as recently as 1997. The ultra-nationalists won't let that happen again.

That Milli first earned a Defamation charge, and only as a result of some press, was hailed as a soft-power savant tells you everything you need to know.

Will be interesting if she is co-opted?

Edited by mtls2005

7 minutes ago, candide said:

Hmmm... Let me guess. Because South Korean is no longer ruled by a military autocracy since the mid-80s?

Exactly, well that a one or two other significant "things".

Not exactly rocket science, but maybe for the author it's some sort of revelation?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Exactly, well that a one or two other significant "things".

Not exactly rocket science, but maybe for the author it's some sort of revelation?

On the same subject, another difference is that the military-linked autocracy was rather competent in SK.

• Haha 1