Avg Markup by Foreigner Builders

4 hours ago, misterphil said:

3 years ago I got a quote for our 2 bed 3 bath 120sqm single storey house in Saraburi. 

Expat builder - 5 mil

Thai builder - 1.2 mil

I can see and accept a small extra charge becasue of communication ease and probable higher quality construction but not a multiple as in your example unless they are using completely different materials of a much higher grade?

• Like 1

I wonder if it is really possible to easily compare companies just based on the nationality of the owner or boss.

What should be compared? The price of the quotation for "one house"? 

Quality of service? Warranty? Punctuality?

And should we assume that any employer employs the same people and pays the same salaries?

I.e. I know a Thai electric company with a Thai boss and lots of Thai engineers working for that company. They are very good, and expensive.

I am sure other companies would "do" the "same job" for half the money. But would it be the same quality? All done in time, cleaned up, tested thoroughly, etc.? 

With some things it is very difficult to compare things, especially before it is done and before waiting years to observe long time quality.

• Like 2

I've found farang can be 2 or 3 times Thai price for work involving walls, drains and foundations. But why compare apples with oranges? Just get several quotes and go with who you feel comfortable with, bearing in mind that for big jobs you need close and accurate communication or risk major problems. 

Edited by Speedhump
Speeling and grammer

There are plenty of companies that just sell the work, mark it up and let it out to the lowest bidder. 

When you see companies (particularly expat companies) that "specialize" in everything, I think this is often the case.

Get written quotes (in Thai) that include everything you want and understand you are getting, and do this BEFORE you negotiate price. It's much better to have them quote and requote a few times until everyone understands and agrees on what is to be done before you sign.  

You can't get a quote, hammer them down on the price and then when you see them using SG paint and supplies start squeaking....

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Get written quotes (in Thai) that include everything you want and understand you are getting, and do this BEFORE you negotiate price. It's much better to have them quote and requote a few times until everyone understands and agrees on what is to be done before you sign.  

Obviously that is a good idea. But as far as I see and I am told this is only the beginning.

Because some, probably many, workers and companies change their mind half ways. Maybe they suddenly want other payment conditions, they use other material, maybe they show up only for half a day, etc.

And in such situations it seems the most important skill is how to handle those requests. Just NO! Or maybe a little, or under x conditions, or whatever.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:
2 hours ago, digger70 said:

It makes no difference Farang or Local builder It's the Workers that Do the work. 

Yes, but typically under the direction of someone. 

And, like described in another thread from today, someone makes the quality control and decides what is good enough. In my experience many farangs, and a only few Thais, demand high quality. 

My wife and I own our house for the past 15 years and I must have put about 2 mil baht over the years doing remodeling, home repairs/construction etc, and if the job isn't to my satisfaction I tell them what I want before final payment.

I NEVER once thought of using a farang owned construction business, they will overcharge.  I guess they're ok for expats that don't know better or without a Thai wife/girlfriend.  

24 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously that is a good idea. But as far as I see and I am told this is only the beginning.

Because some, probably many, workers and companies change their mind half ways. Maybe they suddenly want other payment conditions, they use other material, maybe they show up only for half a day, etc.

And in such situations it seems the most important skill is how to handle those requests. Just NO! Or maybe a little, or under x conditions, or whatever.

Yes, you may change your mind as well, but when the quote calls out TOA SuperShield paint and Kohler fixtures, and Four Seasons paint and Karat fixtures are delivered, you just show them the quote and turn them around. Or you agree to a concession of some kind. 

Yes, it's give and take, but you're in a much better position when it's spelled out in Thai and everyone has signed off. 

On 4/27/2022 at 3:32 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

And, like described in another thread from today, someone makes the quality control and decides what is good enough. In my experience many farangs, and a only few Thais, demand high quality. 

The job is as good as the Worst worker on the project .

We had a Good builder  with Certificates  but his Quality control wasn't good enough he didn't check the workers progress for weeks .  I did and told 3 lot of workers to Leave because of their shoddy work???? (Sub contractors) and he had to get Other workers ,wasn't easy sometimes because some wouldn't take over a job that someone had stuffed up.

Lady Digger said that the Chang does know what he's doing , I said They F,,,N    Don't and that's why I tell them to go.

In the end she said You Are Right. ????