Thailand’s Tourism Authority to focus on attracting potential tourists from European countries to Koh Samui after ‘Test&Go’ cancellation

webfact

54 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The real reason is that the airport on Samui has been build and maintained for private funds without supporting government money, so there are only the users that can pay for it. Everyone can use the airport - and several airlines does - but the of course need to pay the fees.

Using the Surat Thani-option to a public funded airport with bus and ferry transfer is a great option for those, that wish a cheaper transport fare, and has time to spend in a bus and on an 1½ hour ferry-ride. In old times it was the 12-hours sleeper-train to Surat Thani that was way to Samui, and that is also still available and used by many travelling on a budget.

With up to 25+ flights a day at present post Covid-time and periods with fully booked ferries, it doesn't seem like it's the airport fee that stops the tourism, there are actually quite a number of tourists on the island at the moment...????

Used the Ferries 3 times in the past week yes they are full not of tourists but of delivery trucks supplying the big stores as all the little stores have shut up shop and that’s on all three islands not just Samui by the way the ferry boats have been reduced I’m constantly having to go to the office as schedules now seem to change on a weekly basis 

7 hours ago, cheapcanuck said:

I can fly from Bangkok to Surat Thani Airport and take a bus/ferry to Koh Samui for under 1300 baht. Which will take me approximately 3.5 hours. A direct flight from Bangkok to Koh Samui will cost me 3500-5500 baht, depending on season. 

Both flights take around an hour so they are the same distance in air miles.  The only reason for the difference in price is Koh Samui's airport is controlled by one single airline which gouges tourists on ticket prices and does not allow other airlines to use the airport.

Me being a tourist, I have time to burn, so I am happy to trade 3 hours for 2200-4200 baht everytime. It buy me a lot of the 60-80 baht beers I will be drinking the time I'm enjoying my vacation on the island.

Bangkok airways depend on the Samui routes it is there biggest income earner and helps subsidise its loss making routes . I refuse to use them I use Suratthani airport all the time as I live on one of the other islands and depending on the Bangkok flight schedule from Samui I would  have to get one of the Samui ferries meaning an early morning flight would mean me spending money for overnight accommodation or a late evening flight could have me sitting around for up to 6 hours as the ferries and flights do not seem to work in tandom 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoilSpoil said:

You can drive around the island without seeing the ocean.

1 hour ago, SoilSpoil said:

true, and will never come back again.....

As you must be driving with your eyes closed, I am quite please to read that last little titbit.

1 minute ago, Tropicalevo said:

As you must be driving with your eyes closed, I am quite please to read that last little titbit.

Truth must hurt, I guess. Samui is a prime example of paradise lost, not worth anyone's money. Funny, or sad, is that our Thai friends also give Samui a miss for the same reasons. Thailand has so much better to offer than what once was a pristine island. We live at the Andaman coast, not far from Phuket, and there are 20 kilometer long beaches with crystal clear waters an without much development. I hope it wont go the Samui way. Even Phuket has better and, very important, public, beaches.

I feel deeply sorry for those who invested in Samui, but the island is in state of decay with at least one third of the businesses closed.

That you are pleased not to meet or see me sounds childish.

• Like 1

Stop the Thailand Pass system, The extra covid insurance, Just open the borders and they will come. We all have travel and health insurance which cover anything while being abroad as long as Thailand is not a RED -zone covid area on entry. And Thailand is no Red-zone covid area. So why do i need a extra (local) covid insurance? Just for filling someones wallets?  Vaccination passports will soon be worthless as the positive effects from vaccines wear off. So why still bother about this? It is endemic. And yes some will die, but they also do catching a flu!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Has anyone actually been on Samui? You can drive around the island without seeing the ocean. Every inch of beach front is taken by resorts. Better go to Phuket, Ko Chang, Khao Lak, etc..., if you bother to come to Thailand.

Second that and would add Koh Lanta to those alternatives. I’m a keen snorkeler and swimmer. Samui is dreadful in that respect. Recently returned from 12 days in Phuket (Karon) taking advantage of the reduced numbers there nowadays. My previous go to was Ko Lanta but reckoned it would be rather too quiet just now. Several years ago returned to samui to visit a friend but won’t ever again for the reasons you outlined. 

9 hours ago, bojo said:

I'm not sure it's such a big deal that prices are proportionately more expensive to fly into and out of Koh Samui than other domestic routes in the Kingdom..............as one poster commented, they prefer to use Surat/Nakorn Si plus ferry and make a significant saving flying from BKK and there is also the Resident card that offers a significant 30% discount for residents, business and property owners, 

https://flyerbonus.bangkokair.com/flyerbonus/type-of-membership/414/

The island is relatively small and can't handle mass tourism, so there's really no need for bucket airline prices and there's also plenty of ferry, train and bus options offering pretty decent tansport network alternatives that has worked well for decades, not forgetting that travel for many tourists is all part of the fun of the holiday experience,  be it a 1 hour plus flight from BKK or an overnight train from the capital...................................................................

If the 1 hour flight cost the same as an overnight train/bus ride, I think I know which option most people would be taking!

Edited by sambum

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I have to be honest, as much as it hurts me to say this, but IMO the poster has a valid point .............for those that were fortunate enough to live on the island when one could drive/bike around and see the ocean from the road almost uninterrupted, they might well feel that the view they took for granted has been taken away from them, perhaps selfishly, but nonetheless, unless you're off the beaten tourist path; sea and beach views that once were are extremely scarce...................................................................I think, however, if I was a new to the island tourist, I wouldn't really know how it was before and am pretty sure, that I would still enjoy the island for what it has to offer...........................If I was a price conscious back packer, it most likely wouldn't be my first choice as it isn't cheap in comparison with some other other beautiful and interesting SE Asian destinations that are now well and truly established.......................................

5 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Truth must hurt, I guess.

Not really. I much prefer the truth to lies and deceit.

To say -

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

You can drive around the island without seeing the ocean.

- tells me that it is a lie, or your eyes are closed.

I live with coastal villages that are 10 minutes away in either direction from my house (which also has fabulous sea views).

I see the sea every time I that I travel here wherever I go - except in Chaweng.

Travel around the ring road (57 kilometers) and you will definitely see the sea. Unless your eyes are closed.

We live at the Andaman coast,

Then you compare Samui (88.3 sq. mls) with the mainland. Really?

Even Phuket has better and, very important, public, beaches.

I do not understand this comment. All beaches in Thailand are public beaches - unless HM the King says otherwise.

Definitely, some tourist areas here are a huge mess and have totally destroyed the island feel, We do not go there. We go to empty beaches and enjoy the island style living, which you cannot do in Phuket or on the mainland.

19 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Not really. I much prefer the truth to lies and deceit.

To say -

- tells me that it is a lie, or your eyes are closed.

I live with coastal villages that are 10 minutes away in either direction from my house (which also has fabulous sea views).

I see the sea every time I that I travel here wherever I go - except in Chaweng.

Travel around the ring road (57 kilometers) and you will definitely see the sea. Unless your eyes are closed.

Then you compare Samui (88.3 sq. mls) with the mainland. Really?

I do not understand this comment. All beaches in Thailand are public beaches - unless HM the King says otherwise.

Definitely, some tourist areas here are a huge mess and have totally destroyed the island feel, We do not go there. We go to empty beaches and enjoy the island style living, which you cannot do in Phuket or on the mainland.

When you take the ring road in Samui, you'll only see small patches of beach. You dont have the feeling that you are on an island. The beach vibe is kust not there.

Phuket's beaches have public access with parking and toilet and shower facilities. On Samui they are hard to get through, you ll need to walk through resorts.

If you think that I am the only one disliking Samui, you could check the pre Covid arrival numbers. Down big time. Tourists know it for what it is, a distant memory. I came to Samui 3 years ago, pre Covid, stayed for a month to do some work and never, not even one day, got that beach feeling you can find at so many other places in Thailand. I just didnt like being on Samui. And for me to such a thing say is quite something, as i spend at  least 200 days a year on the beach. I love snorkelling and sunset swimming.

Samui, for me, my family and Thai friends has been a disdapointing experience. Many mainland beaches are better, Sichon and Khanom across from Samui give you that beach vibe and feeling that Samui misses. Khao Lak, my home base, is so much more beautiful than Samui, dont even get me started. Also a mainland beach btw.

I came back to Samui last june, mid Covid, also for 1 month, and was shocked by the state of it. Lots of shops closed. Lot of resorts in state of decay. We talked to a lot of villa owners, and nearly all of them wanted to get out. But nobody is buying. Who would?

You might love where you live, good for you, but for national or international tourists, the island is 1 big dissapointment. Come to Phang Nga, Krabi, Trang and see what makes Thailand so beautiful and appealing to visitors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2022 at 6:15 AM, cheapcanuck said:

I can fly from Bangkok to Surat Thani Airport and take a bus/ferry to Koh Samui for under 1300 baht. Which will take me approximately 3.5 hours.

Challenge,  there is no way you do that in 3.5 hours even if the stars perfectly line up....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vinci said:

you are still require to have $10k-20k insurance thingy, who's going to buy insurance just to vacation to Thailand or any other country for that matter, i mean how does it work, before you come to Thailand you must buy insurance from where? buy in your own country or buy from the thai?

You realise that many Asian citizens are required to show proof of health insurance when they apply for a Tourist visa in Europe?  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

An idea like that would require some intelligence and humility, on the part of the authorities and immigration. And it would demonstrate that something was actually learned, during the worst tourism crisis in Thai history. 

Unfortunately, little has been learned, none of the problems plaguing the industry prior to Covid have been addressed, and they are as arrogant and blind as ever. And they just assume you open the doors and the world will flock to the most desirable nation in earth. 

Little do they know. Even after they bring covid under control, and even after all restrictions including the Thailand pass have been scrapped, the world will shun Thailand. Expect no more than 5 million tourists a year, even 5 years from now. The damage is permanent. 

Yes, it is quite easy to forget about the place after some time.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mavideol said:

with so many nicer places to chose from nearby and avoiding the 10+ hours traveling time why would any European want to come, for the scams???

Thailand is mostly a winter destination during the season when they have their best weather and the Northern Hemisphere is experiencing its coldest and darkest months. Now is not the best time for Thailand as the European summer is approaching.

Edited by rabang
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

You realise that many Asian citizens are required to show proof of health insurance when they apply for a Tourist visa in Europe?  

It is a reasonable requirement and it is foolish IMO to travel around the world without an insurance but the difference is that as far as I know Asians need to buy it in their own countries and not a European insurance. Forcing a foreigner to buy a Thai insurance sounds like a scam.

4 hours ago, rabang said:

It is a reasonable requirement and it is foolish IMO to travel around the world without an insurance but the difference is that as far as I know Asians need to buy it in their own countries and not a European insurance. Forcing a foreigner to buy a Thai insurance sounds like a scam.

You talk about a scam but have no clue what rules are, makes you a prime victim for a real scam.... Nobody is requested to buy a Thai insurance.  The rules are very similar to what people from here have to do for Europe.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rabang said:

Now is not the best time for Thailand as the European summer is approaching.

Historically, May and June have been low season here on Samui.

Years ago, hotels and restaurants would close for these months as well as for October, November and December (up until about the 12th/15th.)

Then Europeans would start to come back July to September and again in Mid December.

It was Asian tourists in later years that lifted the numbers during the 'low season'.

15 hours ago, huberthammer said:

You talk about a scam but have no clue what rules are, makes you a prime victim for a real scam.... Nobody is requested to buy a Thai insurance.  The rules are very similar to what people from here have to do for Europe.

Currently yes but previously a Thai insurance was required.

3 hours ago, rabang said:

Currently yes but previously a Thai insurance was required.

Incorrect again - I travelled back to Thailand 3 times under the sandbox/test&go and my non Thai insurance was accepted every single time same with my friends. Stop spreading nonsense

• Like 1