Best/Favorite coffeeshops? Best for Digital Nomads?

JimmyJ

6 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Thank you for the suggestion/informative and helpful post (amidst much muppet thread noise).

Didn't work for me (coffee; seat comfort) - will probably give  it a 2nd try - but wondering if you have any other suggestions as you understood what I am looking for.

Thanks.  That was my take on it too.  It was a decent and functional place, but the vibe was sterile, felt like hanging out in a university library.  That was the only one I visited in person, but I've read good things from multiple sources about Punspace.  I think they have (or had) two locations, one near Tha Phae gate and another in Nimman, but the web site for Nimman location is showing that one as permanently closed.  Good luck, and if you do find one that works, maybe post back here as there will be others looking, and a lot of the info out there is  outdated/pre-pandemic.

• Thanks 1

One of my favorite cafes to have a focused workspace is near Mae Jo university.  They had a private air condioned room for 50฿ per hour for the past few years.  I am not a digital nomad, but got a lot of focused work done in that room. Unfortunately (for me) they are using it as a storage room now.  I'm guessing not enough people rent the room when the common area is equally quiet and comfortable. The main difference is that you can talk amd have an online meeting in the study room without disturbing others.

The problem is that a cafe that is doing well probably won't want digital nomads because they take up seats that could be producing a lot more income via increased turnover. So the best bet would be to look for new places that will be grateful just to have seats filled. Prospective customers are more likely to enter a place that has some customers already in it. Of course, if the new cafe starts to prosper then it will be time to find a new venue. I do see occasionally, even now, that cafes are being opened.

16 hours ago, captainjackS said:

One of my favorite cafes to have a focused workspace is near Mae Jo university.  They had a private air condioned room for 50฿ per hour for the past few years.  I am not a digital nomad, but got a lot of focused work done in that room. Unfortunately (for me) they are using it as a storage room now.  I'm guessing not enough people rent the room when the common area is equally quiet and comfortable. The main difference is that you can talk amd have an online meeting in the study room without disturbing others.

Starbucks has "Community Room"s that can be booked for groups wanting private meetings, I'm pretty sure for no charge.

Also C.A.M.P at Maya Mall described above has several large and small rooms - all unused when I visited.

16 hours ago, captainjackS said:

Are you recommending the (unnamed) cafe?

On 5/1/2022 at 12:35 AM, ChrisP24 said:

Try C.A.M.P. (Creative And Meeting Place) hangout cafe, it's on the top floor of Maya mall in Nimman.    It seems geared to exactly what you are looking for.  I went there once before the pandemic and it was not what I expected, but it was new, clean, and comfortable with places to spread out plus nooks and crannies for screen privacy, aircon and many electrical outlets.  It was crowded but not noisy.   Not many foreigners on that one occasion.   Plus being in a mall there is a large food court nearby and numerous places to walk and stretch your legs.  Also easy to catch a trike near the mall entrance.   

I recall that there was an issue getting two devices online with only one login credential - I had a laptop but wanted a wifi connection for my phone also.  Probably that could have been sorted out but I was only there for an hour or so to check out the vibe, so didn't bother. 

As for their menu I have no idea, I had black coffee and it was quite good and strong. 

1 coffee in an hour and needed 2 WIFI accounts, lol.

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Are you recommending the (unnamed) cafe?

Yes.

SOME HOURS. Cafe’24hrs.
093 274 5928
https://maps.app.goo.gl/BFcFYXEGPdHj8xLH9

Just went today.

Confirmed that the bigger meeting room upstairs is still available for 100B/hr.  There were 8-10 people in the upstairs area today studying / working.  totally silent.  Every now and then, i see people go outside to talk on the phone. so polite!

• Thanks 1

Grubbies in hoodies no thanks'- Not taking up  seats and  bandwidth in my favourite  place- Get your own place!

A DM to me means moving  from country to country not parasiting off small businesses which are recreational places not workspaces.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP, you want a place with all the amenities, quiet, almost without customers, where you can sit for hours (electrical outlets) sipping Cappuccino... at a guess such a place doesn't exist or it would be full.

But if you find it let us know, I wouldn't mind going there to read a book. I'll be quiet I promise.

On 5/24/2022 at 6:26 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Grubbies in hoodies no thanks'- Not taking up  seats and  bandwidth in my favourite  place- Get your own place!

A DM to me means moving  from country to country not parasiting off small businesses which are recreational places not workspaces.

DM... did you mean DN? Or Depeche Mode on tour? Or perhaps Digital Monad, that would make Leibniz take a roll in his tomb.

• 1 month later...