Thailand to host ‘Moto GP’ world championship in September after two-year halt

webfact

chang-circuit-thailand-motogp-696x391.jpg

By Nop Meechukhun

Bangkok – The Thai government has approved the organization of the Grand Prix motorcycle racing or ‘Moto GP’ in Buriram province after a two-year halt, expecting to generate millions of baht in tourism.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul revealed yesterday, April 27th, after a meeting with the committee for organizing the Moto GP and the Minister of Tourism and Sports that the government agreed to organize the racing event this year as more than 80 percent of the total population in the country had received the first dose of Covid-19 vaccination and more than 36 percent received the booster shots. The health care system, including hospitals, drugs, medical supplies, and medical personnel, was also sufficient and ready to support the government’s endemic disease plan.

Anutin said: “After two years of event cancellations due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the government eventually gave a green light to organize MotoGP this year.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/28/thailand-to-host-moto-gp-world-championship-in-september-after-two-year-halt/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-04-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/28/thailand-to-host-moto-gp-world-championship-in-september-after-two-year-halt/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-04-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai government has approved the organization of the Grand Prix motorcycle racing or ‘Moto GP’ in Buriram province after a two-year halt, expecting to generate millions of baht in tourism.

So the emergency decree will be lifted to permit mass gatherings?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, patongphil said:

Whoo Hoo although it will not be the same without "The Doctor"

True. I must say it all felt a bit empty at the start.

Think I’m over it now though…..it’s been a cracker of a season so far. 

Edited by AndyFoxy

3 hours ago, mrfill said:

It was agreed and has been organised for months. Tickets have been on sale for well over 3 months and its on the 2nd October. Probably sold out by now....

I just checked the official MotoGP website - tickets are not available yet. , sales opening has not begun yet

https://tickets.motogp.com/en/22001-thailand/

• Like 2

TAT announced with the reintroduction of the motoGP Thailand expects to see 35 million tourists and 3 million high value millionaires to attend the event all spending an average of 1 million baht each during their stay.

Edited by starky
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, G Rex said:

I just checked the official MotoGP website - tickets are not available yet. , sales opening has not begun yet

https://tickets.motogp.com/en/22001-thailand/

Is that the official 'safe' site for buying tickets? I googled and found about 5 sites selling so couldn't figure out which ones were legit (maybe all are?)

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

Same message for Silverstone, which has been selling tickets for a while and Phillip Island also showing the same. The official site doesn't seem entirely reliable.

I checked multiple other booking sites. It seems there are no general admission tickets on sale yet. There are a few sites selling mega-expensive 2 or 3 day VIP packages, with pit lane walks etc - their high price will absorb the regular entry fee easily

I used to go down there and spend a few months each year. Right down from the sports place. 

Huge place.  Good birding around that area also.

3 minutes ago, garyk said:

I used to go down there and spend a few months each year. Right down from the sports place. 

Huge place.  Good birding around that area also.

Feathered varieties?

29 minutes ago, G Rex said:

Feathered varieties?

Google it!  Around the lake you will find the cranes. Stay on the same road the Sports arena is on toward the lake, and head out of town to the Birding towers. All around that area is GREAT birding.  I used it for a stopping point before heading into Cambodia. Another exceptional birding place. I got some very rare species there, that used to be in the Buriram area. Long gone from that area now.  Thailand does not have much habitat left.  Cambodia is loosing fast. 

Right across the border in Cambodia there are still some white shouldered ibis.  That was 4 years ago and the loggers were clear cutting and burning as fast as they could. But still had some good patches.. Thailand has long ago clear cut their forests in that area. Way before my time.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So the emergency decree will be lifted to permit mass gatherings?

Why not?

I was at World Superbikes in 2019 and it was an election day and so no booze anywhere ---- except at the circuit! Unfortunately, only Chang available.

2 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Why not?

I was at World Superbikes in 2019 and it was an election day and so no booze anywhere ---- except at the circuit! Unfortunately, only Chang available.

So if the emergency decree is lifted to allow thousands to go to the Moto GP how's Prayut going to stop the students again?

12 hours ago, G Rex said:

I checked multiple other booking sites. It seems there are no general admission tickets on sale yet. There are a few sites selling mega-expensive 2 or 3 day VIP packages, with pit lane walks etc - their high price will absorb the regular entry fee easily

I looked into buying some as got some for first one but never got to go , but the family did and said was amazing and so well organised. All the sites I looked at said they had for sale but when you proceed they say register via email to be notified when for sale.

The second one was a bit of a farce as the main stand was bought up by ticket scalpers or business to give away to clients . The stand was full of people who wanted to be there to get on tv or take a million pics for their Instagram accounts and the real fans were left with only the outer stands or paying 8000bht plus for a ticket .

Hopefully will get to go this year and get main stand seat ????????????

• Like 1