Confusing Interview

I recall from my days of doing an MBA a lecturer explaining most interviewers make a yes/no decision within the first 30 seconds of an interview. The rest of the interview is then structured to support that choice.......frightening.!

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

If it is a serious university they might just do not want the hurdles of reporting your employment and paying taxes to your home country, and a Malaysian woman could have had a Thai passport which significantly simplifies the legal stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

I recall from my days of doing an MBA a lecturer explaining most interviewers make a yes/no decision within the first 30 seconds of an interview. The rest of the interview is then structured to support that choice.......frightening.!

Personality mostly

3 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Something in the package you presented was inferior to the package of the chosen candidate... maybe your salary request, but given your mail, it might just be your attitude... 

If she was an attractive female, that's likely what made the difference. Expecting fairness in a job interview in Thailand is just asking for disappointment.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, itsari said:

I am uneducated but i know what the person was saying . Many schools ask for native speaking English teachers . Got it ?

But the OP didn't say they were asking for native English speakers. He just thinks as a native English speaker he was entitled to the job over someone whose language may be as good as his and whose qualifications could be better (because "Business English" is hardly likely to be master's level is it).
Anyway, not running away from a job that he had to pay to go to an interview for was probably his major mistake. 

• Like 1

If this is a college/university, they may prefer an applicant with a higher degree - a step higher than those of the students you are teaching. So at least a Masters may be required for teaching bachelo degree students.  Perhaps the successful applicant had that? 

17 hours ago, markclover said:

In the first few emails they asked me for 300 baht for ''administration fees''.  So I paid it.

I would never consider this company.   It's a company, they are for-profit, let's not kid ourselves.

Dude, yo, yo, my man, listen up..........There are like a Bil of peeps who speak English as their 1 language on this big rock.......some of them ain't no good at it, and some from the non-non-non are actually more EDUCATED, PROFESSIONAL, and a better fit for certain companies.  

I remember a school hired a native for a teaching job; he showed up, smoked around the students, talked soft (students couldn't hear him), and never smiled.  He was fired after one day.

But he can speak the tongue!!!!!?!??!?!!?    yea, it gets you the interview.....maybe....that's it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the big advantages of a teacher that is a Native English Speaker is that beginning students can model their pronunciation on their teacher and as a result will speak English with a more easily understood accent.

I think this is less important at the post-secondary level.

That ship (learning pronunciation) has sailed by this time, speakers of English as a foreign language probably have formed their pronunciation habits by the time they reach university.

Having a natural accent is the only facet of language ability that I know of where a native speaker will (nearly) always be better than a non-native speaker.  

• Like 1

Sounds like you dodged a bullet.  Move on, (after you request the return of your 300 baht, which is definitely what I would do if the employer wants to avoid unwanted bad publicity...)

• Like 1