Confusing Interview

18 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I recall from my days of doing an MBA a lecturer explaining most interviewers make a yes/no decision within the first 30 seconds of an interview. The rest of the interview is then structured to support that choice.......frightening.!

When I worked in Saudi, if there was vacancy in our office we would be given a load of CV’s to go though and select a few for interview. The The basis of selection was down to our own prejudices.

One could get passed by for having a like for Science Fiction or selected if he played Rugby.

I admit this was probably not the way to do things but nobody got sacked.

5 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

When I worked in Saudi, if there was vacancy in our office we would be given a load of CV’s to go though and select a few for interview. The The basis of selection was down to our own prejudices.

One could get passed by for having a like for Science Fiction or selected if he played Rugby.

I admit this was probably not the way to do things but nobody got sacked.

Reading the Harvard Business Review it is claimed the most successful appointments to say a supervisory/management role is to allow the team, who will be working for the new appointee, to choose!!! Interesting.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 4:38 PM, jak2002003 said:

raciest.

superlative adjective: raciest
  1. (of speech, writing, or behavior) lively, entertaining, and typically mildly titillating sexually.

Waddyamean?

Sarasas:  Sawaddee ka.

Me:  Hello.  My name is ***.  Can I speak to Human Resources please?

Sarasas:  Just a moment.

Sarasas:  Sawaddee ka.

Me:  Hello.  My name is ***.  Can I speak to Human Resources please?

Sarasas:  What?

Me:  Can I speak to HR please?

Sarasas:  What you want?

Me:  I am an English teacher and I would like to send you my resume.  What is the email address?

Sarasas:  We only hire Filipino teachers.

Me:  Hahaha.  What.  You only hire Filipino teachers?

Sarasas:  Yes.

Me:  I'm from England... pom maa jak prateet angit.

Sarasas.  Oh okay.  We only hire Filipinos.

Me:  Okay... bye.

• Haha 1

Is it normal for unsuccessful interviewees here to be told precisely who got the job?

When I was interviewing graduates for my employer in the US and UK, I did the interviews and after each one was over, the candidate went and got their travel expenses reimbursed and left the building. All candidates were notified individually by phone or email of their success or otherwise.

Is the OP suggesting that they all sat around in a waiting room after their interview and then they came and announced the 'winner' in front of everyone?

And he paid 300 baht for that "privilege'?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Come teach in Issan. We still need teachers here. NES are still favored as they mostly get NNES, as the NES stick to BKK for the action, and seem to enjoy being subjected to their BS

Not sure how many Issan schools you've been to but, the ones I've been to and know teachers at are full of NES. 

At the last count, the two major primary schools and the major secondary school nearest to where I live  had a combined total of over 18 NES and zero NNES.

• 3 weeks later...

I've spoken with British folks and some of them had such thick accents and use phrases I had a hard time understanding them and I'm from the states.

• 1 year later...

The OP on nearly every thread like this one never comes back around and say anything or engage in the conversation. Perhaps it's no wonder, as what you then read is a bunch of random highly emotive opinions about a handful of infered ideas, all without any specific experiences shared. One comes away all the dumber for having taken the time to read. 

The fact is that at public Thai unis, there's often a 100-300 baht application fee that supports an already overworked ajarn's efforts to manage a bunch of applications. How well they do that is up for judgement by the people around them, not so much the active imaginations of PintO34777 and MunchMan3000 online. 

Anyway, the job he was going for could be bad, could be great. Not sure how anyone here thinks they could know the answer. Same goes for why the woman who got the job got the job. 

Presumably there was/is a real person there who spent the time typing out his version of a real predicament. He included some comments that suggest he had a sense of entitement about that job and he completed his education with an instrumental mindset - I do this degree, I get this job kind of thing. 

Imagine if the first several replies, rather than jump onto the most obvious assumptions and judgements, attempted to prompt the OP to say more about what happened, what is thinking is about, and maybe - if anyone had experience working at Thai unis - shared some first hand experience? Would the OP have posted more? The opening post of almost any new discussion thread is hardly ever more than a highly performative and rather shallow lob. Each successive post, if there are any, reveal more in nealry exponential fashion. 

Try intentionally making that happen sometimes in this section of forum - it'd be worth something. 

Just sayin'. 

If the OP is still around and sees this, give us an update. Have you found a job? What do you now think about that one you lost out on to all the other "races" in the hiring pool? 

Cheers