They always have change in America

3 hours ago, tpiety2 said:

It always amazed me why in the US, with twenties in the register, many say they can't change a hundred.... what else are you going to do with twenties besides make change?

What amazes me is that when so many places don't want to make change for $100 bills, some people persist in getting cash in that denomination.

On 5/2/2022 at 1:55 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

The USA seems to be a bit behind Thailand , many people in Thailand don't use cash anymore , even 10 Baht hot dog sellers on the streets use iphones to make cash less payments .

Do people still use cash in the USA ?

Most people do use cash in Thailand and stores like Big C, 7/11 , ...always have change from 1000 thb when you buy something small: 

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 3:11 AM, cdemundo said:

Not true everywhere in the US.

I see lots of shops with signs that say "No bills larger than $20".

As far as having no choice, you have a choice when you get cash, I never get larger than a $20 bill when getting cash. Most shops if you try to pay with a $100 bill you will be directed to the ATM they all have and instructed to get smaller bills.

And as others have said using plastic is often more convenient for everybody..

Back in the day, cash was legal tender (that might vary, country to country), and could be used for settling all monetary debts.  I am not so sure about any obligation to provide change. 

8 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I have heard it said that 'change is inevitable.' 

I always seem to have a stack full of coins at home and in my pocket.  Nothing is constant but change. 

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2022 at 5:18 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

I am in OZ now and have not paid in cash for many years I just use my tap and go debit card but pay 4 dollars for small fries is robbery, I can buy a burger and fries and softdrink for just 4 bucks

Cheese burgers are tiny. A large burger chips and drink is $12.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Back in the day, cash was legal tender (that might vary, country to country), and could be used for settling all monetary debts.  I am not so sure about any obligation to provide change. 

I suppose a person could bring their attorney with them when they go to 7-11 to buy a cup of coffee with a $100 bill.

7 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Cheese burgers are tiny. A large burger chips and drink is $12.

Did I mentioned a cheesburger? No I did not. Maybe you live in the wrong part of Australia I went to Hungry Jacks yesterday and bought a hamburger with small chips (fries) and a soft drink for AUD 6.55

I'm trying to remember the last time I actually have anything more than a few bucks in my wallet, if that!.

Delivery its all online, vending machines, stores its all either online or debit/credit tap or chip stuff.

I certainly have no idea the last time I saw anything over a $5 bill let alone $100 bill

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Did I mentioned a cheesburger? No I did not. Maybe you live in the wrong part of Australia I went to Hungry Jacks yesterday and bought a hamburger with small chips (fries) and a soft drink for AUD 6.55

Thats a tiny burger. Large burger conbos at hungry jacks are $12 too

1 hour ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

I tried bartering at Starbucks with live chickens and top-grade beaver pelts. The snot-nosed kid acted like I had the plague. Sad day when you can't get a Mocha Latte without busting out a pouch of gold dust. Times are a changin'.

Try rice

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2022 at 7:34 AM, BritManToo said:

Everyone pays using their mobile bank app these days, the drivers all have a phone.

Not true at all.

Not everybody has a smart phone, bank account or mobile banking app.

The majority of Thais that live outside of the cities and big towns use cash and rarely order food to be delivered.

Out in the villages probably the only food to be delivered is from 7/11

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 1:55 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

The USA seems to be a bit behind Thailand , many people in Thailand don't use cash anymore , even 10 Baht hot dog sellers on the streets use iphones to make cash less payments .

Do people still use cash in the USA ?

I was just there for a month and seldom used cash.

2 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

Go to Switzerland and break a 1000 at the bar for a couple of beers - never had an issue

Aye, right, and a fistful of small denomination Swiss Francs is going to stand him in no stead whatsoever at his local 7-11.

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

Aye, right, and a fistful of small denomination Swiss Francs is going to stand him in no stead whatsoever at his local 7-11.

I think you missed the point - stay off the whisky. He's comparing the US to Thailand - and I'm doing the same with Switzerland currency

The dollars he gets in change in the US won't help him in his local Thai 7-11 either

You like to make your statements like you're a cowboy - looks like you shot yourself in the foot  !

Edited by Pmbkk

Is the USA still using cash?

Thais like  the  Chinese use  phone apps these days.  I rarely  have a problem getting change except from small street vendor but never at stores. But it's GREAT to hear  a happy positive  story from a returnee. Makes me think twice about my  retirement plans I might quit here.... - In the UK we use touch and go bank cards a lot - on my last visit I simply went out without cash money - I had  to remember  to bring small change out with me for the street beggars hugging the ATMs for warmth

Edited by The Hammer2021

11 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Is the USA still using cash?

No, not one single person in the USA has cash anymore. That is so last-century. It disappeared along with cars long ago. We now get around like this:

image.jpeg.de4d5cac31253d790d245d574bde289d.jpeg

I understand your country has a little catching up to do. You still get around like this:

image.jpeg.edf77df238a144be04ec9910dd5ffac1.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

No, not one single person in the USA has cash anymore. That is so last-century. It disappeared along with cars long ago. We now get around like this:

I understand your country has a little catching up to do. You still get around like this:

Sarcasm right? Humour (attempt).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:
2 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Expand  

Sarcasm right? Humour (attempt).

Yes and yes.  Plus I've never inserted a photo into a post and wanted to give it a try. No offense intended. ????