Who Are your Friends?

29 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're meeting a far better class of person than me .......

Mine were, postman, plumber, painter and decorator, miner, fruit picker, dry waller, supermarket shelf-filler, 2 drug dealers, and a bank robber.

Sounds like you could be meeting the same people, but maybe you're just getting there earlier before they've had too many drinks in them. 

Back to OP, I sometimes think that I need to make more friends, as my close friends these days are also family members, either ones I live with, or extended family who I travel with and visit several times each year, plus we call each other with some frequency.   That is enough of a social and support network for me on all the important levels.   Outside of that I can count in single digits the people who I've considered to be close friends over the years.  But I'm an introvert who really enjoys my solo time, and if not alone I prefer to be one on one with someone, the interaction and conversation is so much more interesting and worthwile that way.   I really don't want or need a lot of people close to me, just a select few who I find worthwhile and have some history with,  want to help, want to learn from, or find inspiring.   It's not that I don't like people - - I do - - I just don't want to have to be around them all the time. 

Outside of that and at more of an emotional distance,  I ran across some reading recently on "utility friends" that I'll share here:

In this kind of relationship, the two parties are not in it for the affection of one another, but more so because each party receives a benefit in exchange.  It’s not permanent in nature, and whenever the benefit ends, so does the relationship that brought the parties together. Aristotle observed this to be more common in older folks.  An example of this would be a business or a work relationship. You may enjoy the time you spend together, but once the situation changes, so does the nature of your connection.

Edited by ChrisP24
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:
3 hours ago, sipi said:

All my friends are dead. I dunno what happens. When I meet them they're perfectly vertical. Next thing, kaboom, cold as ice.

So, who wants to meet up for a beer?

Mine too ...........

We'll meet up and see who is the best survivor! 

I'll  do the video ........

28 minutes ago, Jotnar said:

dog, kid, wife

only friends i need

But you had a need to join a forum and say that!

Broadly speaking everyone is either a friend, enemy, stranger or relation.

In posting you are expressing a need. The only question is, to which of the above group?

41 minutes ago, Grecian said:

In posting you are expressing a need. The only question is, to which of the above group?

thanks for the warm welcome

i don't need to be a friend, enemy, stranger or relation, to answer a question someone asks

image.png.59b307d298c09f35358ac90ff54c83cb.png

Edited by Jotnar
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Grecian said:

You missed the paid by the hour short time friend here in Thailand, and then the odd reacquainted sponsor....