Thai police warn of serious criminal offense for fake banknotes as inflation hits 13-year high

webfact

screenshot_17670.jpg

By Panithan Onthaworn

Thai officials alerted the public on Tuesday to be cautious of counterfeit 1,000-baht banknotes after several complaints from vendors in a market in Nonthaburi. Officials said that they are rushing the investigation to identify the perpetrators.

As Thailand’s inflation soared to a record high in 13 years largely due to a hike in energy and food prices, counterfeit money appears to be on the rise. Over the past weekend, local media reported a case of 30 fake 1,000-baht banknotes in a day discovered in the north of Bangkok.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Yingyot Thepjamnong, the Royal Thai Police spokesman, said police across the country are prepared to take action against the counterfeiters. 

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/39862/thai-police-warn-of-serious-criminal-offense-for-fake-banknotes-as-inflation-hits-13-year-high/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-05-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

So long as they don't make it into the ATMs there won't be a serious problem.

If it makes it into the banking system I'm sure they will be recycled properly

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

So long as they don't make it into the ATMs there won't be a serious problem.

exactly, since 1000baht notes are the biggest here the only place you could possibly get a fake note is either from a bank ATM or exchange booth unless of course you have a business or work here and are paid in cash or you sell something

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

If it makes it into the banking system I'm sure they will be recycled properly

Exactly. Get All my Cash from ATM so largest note in change is 500 baht. Appears anti - counterfeiting is main reason for max 1000 baht notes. Those 500 Euro notes ( 40,000 baht) are ridiculous and criminal heaven. 

19 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Exactly. Get All my Cash from ATM so largest note in change is 500 baht. Appears anti - counterfeiting is main reason for max 1000 baht notes. Those 500 Euro notes ( 40,000 baht) are ridiculous and criminal heaven. 

500EUR/40,000BAHT??
Ok, tomorrow, I can bring you a few hundred 500EUR notes. Please bring Thai Baht in cash.
Krub

3 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

My ATM regularly dispenses 1,000 baht notes, only when that seems empty will it give 500 baht value.

Talking of detecting fake notes, I have noticed some very different coloured 100 baht notes circulating.. you'd think if a new note is made the old ones would be taken out of circulation very quickly, yet these have been around for months.

13 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Or the Swiss 1000 frank note  now you would get 34 900 baht.

Maximum Euro, is 500 Euro note or 18 110 baht.

16 hours ago, hotchilli said:

My ATM regularly dispenses 1,000 baht notes, only when that seems empty will it give 500 baht value.

Talking of detecting fake notes, I have noticed some very different coloured 100 baht notes circulating.. you'd think if a new note is made the old ones would be taken out of circulation very quickly, yet these have been around for months.

I suspect the old notes with the previous King are popular, I still get the odd few. 

Love it when the ATM has run out of 1000 baht notes and I get a nice pile of 500s, much more useable!

• Like 1