Moving to Thailand

aussie chris

Hi All,

I have been married to my Thai wife for over 15 years now on my retirement we are moving back to Thailand from Aus at the end of this year 2022 to settle and build a house in the paddy fields about 10 klms from Roi-Et City.
I am a typical Aussie who loves a beer and a good chat with new or old friends I enjoy doing this on a regular basis. 
I would like to know in my retirement years what is considered a reasonable to good ex-pat monthly income stream provided from at home pensions, investments, or superannuation pensions to live on in these current conditions in Thailand?
I am fully aware of the rising prices across the board everywhere. 
I am assuming my wife will not engage in any type of work to assist our budget but who knows she may help her mother sell food out front from the old house again. 
Looking forward to some interesting comments.

Cheers Aussie Chris
Tasmania Australia.
  • Confused 2

Hey Aussie Chris, enlarge the fonts of your post so those of us with poor eye sight can read too, as for living costs, experience is the best teacher, come and look and feel for yourself as to what life style you can afford, no amount of information will show the real situation on the ground when you land here... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Marriage visa requires 40k a month income.  So that's what you must show, although you can easily, live on less, or not.  We do, but have no house, car, motorbike payments.  Simply basic living expenses, and 40k a month is more than enough for us.  Actually live on about 20-25k, but on retirement visa, so have 65k incoming every month. 

As a non heavy drinker (alcohol), we try, but actually have a hard time spending it (65k) so her savings account grows when I'm not buying toys, or if we're out playing holiday.

Depends what beer and where you sip it at, and will dictate how much that will add to your monthly budget.  Takes me a month or two to drink 12 large beers @ 555 baht.  Some people do that every day or 2.  So if an alcoholic, easy to spend 40k or more a month, just on beer.

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Hello Chris

I am an Aussie been here full time now in Thailand for a very long time.

I live in a small fishing village.  I have my own boats and catch my own seafood including fish, squid, crabs and prawns.

I bought a little detached house in the village here just over a year ago for 270K thb.  It is in my GFs name and I have a life usufruct stamped on the back of the chanote.

We also have two little adjoining farms nearby which the GF bought but I also have a usufruct on each of the chanotes.

I dug a bore on one of the farms and it produces good water we use to irrigate some fruit trees and herb and veggie gardens.

We are mostly self sufficient, but do a fortnightly trip to Supercheap and Lotus to buy "hard" groceries.

My monthly expenses are around 5K thb per month unless there is a one off expense such as medical, car repair or the like.

PM me if you want to chat.

You might find this youtube channel useful:

As with all cost of living threads on this forum you will get a great deal of difference of opinion.  Most will say I am lying about my budget and others will big note and say that they can not live on less than 200K per month etc.  If you live self sufficiently, have no kids, do not use drugs or alcohol, and do things like house and vehicle maintenance yourself you can live remarkably cheaply here in Thailand.  

Great stuff, looks like good lifestyle on minimal outlay. Thumbs up.

I send about 58-61 K a month depending of maddeningly annoying £. More than enough for me the wife and our daughter, and saving about  10-15 k of it a month when i'm not spending too much on collectables. But then again I'm no Aussie drinker , maybe 4 x MY beer a week at most - 200 baht !

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

as for living costs, experience is the best teacher, come and look and feel for yourself as to what life style you can afford, no amount of information will show the real situation on the ground when you land here... 

The best advice here.

Otherwise, topics like this become a "my d$#k is bigger than your d$#k" slanging match.

• Haha 1

Either a comprehensive health insurance plan or a healthy stash of cash (1 million+) for medical needs.   Quality medical care doesn't come cheap in Thailand.  You can live comfortably on those 30-60,000/month quotes if you have a house/car.......but not enough if you don't figure in for medical needs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Most will say I am lying about my budget

OK, I guess I will challenge. This is for 2 people 5k?

So, you live on 170 b a day?  Food, electric, internet, insurance, water, gas, ¨ÿour home"repairs, phone, other essentials, etc.  You never travel or do anything accept stay home?

Since you brought it up, I would sure like to see your monthly budget sounds like a miracle if you can really pull it off.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

You love a chat and a beer Chris---well a house way out in the middle of the rice fields is certainly the place for you then.

And if you want to have a night out in the City anytime-- the last census there (2006) had a staggering  34,229  people.

Are you winding us up Chris...........:w00t:

I live 20kms from the nearest town and in a rice field, and I do frequent the town twice a week for a few drinks and some good fair dinkum BS from the expat pi$$ heads, why would he be winding you up ?

3 hours ago, aussie chris said:

to settle and build a house in the paddy fields about 10 klms from Roi-Et City

Are you used to such conditions?

Did you spent at least a couple of months in the paddy fields far away from anybody else in Thailand?

Maybe you know what you are doing, but, sorry to say that, I doubt it.

Is your Thai (including the local dialect) very good? Can you communicate with all the Thai people around you?

Or do you have to rely on your wife?

Just play with the idea that you wouldn't be married to a Thai wife, would you consider moving to such a place?

Maybe yes, but likely no.

Just keep in your mind that this can only possibly work if you are happy ever after with your wife. If she changes for whatever reason you have likely only two options: Accept it or move away. Are you prepared for that?

I wish you all the best and if this is really what you want then go ahead. But you should think it through. What could happen and what would you do if A or B or C happens?

It doesn't mean something bad will happen. But it's impossible to foresee that you will be living together happily ever after. Think it through! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Hello Chris

I am an Aussie been here full time now in Thailand for a very long time.

I live in a small fishing village.  I have my own boats and catch my own seafood including fish, squid, crabs and prawns.

I bought a little detached house in the village here just over a year ago for 270K thb.  It is in my GFs name and I have a life usufruct stamped on the back of the chanote.

We also have two little adjoining farms nearby which the GF bought but I also have a usufruct on each of the chanotes.

I dug a bore on one of the farms and it produces good water we use to irrigate some fruit trees and herb and veggie gardens.

We are mostly self sufficient, but do a fortnightly trip to Supercheap and Lotus to buy "hard" groceries.

My monthly expenses are around 5K thb per month unless there is a one off expense such as medical, car repair or the like.

PM me if you want to chat.

You might find this youtube channel useful:

As with all cost of living threads on this forum you will get a great deal of difference of opinion.  Most will say I am lying about my budget and others will big note and say that they can not live on less than 200K per month etc.  If you live self sufficiently, have no kids, do not use drugs or alcohol, and do things like house and vehicle maintenance yourself you can live remarkably cheaply here in Thailand.  

sounds nice for you I'm glad you enjoy it. me, I'm a city slicker. I see a bamboo but or a padi field and I run! ????

• Haha 2

OP, you will need to take care of your mental and physical health. That means regular exercise of both faculties.

There is sugar in just about everything here, so Type 2 diabetes is a distinct possibility with advancing age.

There is no PBS here, and opioid painkillers are prohibited. The best one can hope for to relieve pain is Ibuprofen and paracetamol. Be aware the latter in combination with alcohol can cause severe liver damage.

Use it or lose it. IMO the most comprehensive advice posted is from 4MyEgo. Good luck.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

OP, you will need to take care of your mental and physical health. That means regular exercise of both faculties.

There is sugar in just about everything here, so Type 2 diabetes is a distinct possibility with advancing age.

There is no PBS here, and opioid painkillers are prohibited. The best one can hope for to relieve pain is Ibuprofen and paracetamol. Be aware the latter in combination with alcohol can cause severe liver damage.

Use it or lose it. IMO the most comprehensive advice posted is from 4MyEgo. Good luck.

Opioids such  as codeine are not prohibited but they are controlled and  available  with prescription/ Dr's authority as is even fentanyl. Codeine is available  from many pharmacies and so is tramadol but not legal  but common.

22 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Opioids such  as codeine are not prohibited but they are controlled and  available  with prescription/ Dr's authority as is even fentanyl. Codeine is available  from many pharmacies and so is tramadol but not legal  but common.

You may be right, my impression is it is difficult to get doctors to prescribe them, a holdover from when the Thai government was trying to stamp out the opium trade in the Golden Triangle.

When my GF's father was dying of kidney failure a couple of months ago, the only medication he got from the provincial  hospital was paracetamol.

AFAIK oxycodone is a no-no.

"I would like to know in my retirement years what is considered a reasonable to good ex-pat monthly income stream provided from at home pensions, investments, or superannuation pensions to live on in these current conditions in Thailand?"

How long is a piece of string?

5 hours ago, aussie chris said:

am fully aware of the rising prices across the board everywhere. 

Country Thailand cheap. Really its beer and party lifestyle that costs.

You might get bored out in the sticks unless you love gardening or ride motorbikes

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"I would like to know in my retirement years what is considered a reasonable to good ex-pat monthly income stream provided from at home pensions, investments, or superannuation pensions to live on in these current conditions in Thailand?"

How long is a piece of string?

Useless answer. 

5 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Most will say I am lying about my budget and others will big note and say that they can not live on less than 200K per month etc. 

Yes I spend most of my pension of 300k, and I don't have an extravagant lifestyle. I guess on can be thrifty for a while, probably when young. But once you age you'll want western style comforts and health care. Children are also entitled to the future of their dreams

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1