Proper Chipper on Phuket Island ?

LivinginKata

9 minutes ago, Excel said:

There is another thread running in other media  about air fryers and the poor quality food that results. Good if you like such tasteless and and badly prepared food, perhaps you do. Frankly my culinary standards are far higher than that and clearly yours to but guess each too his own. 

Poor quality in, poor quality out.

Using a new gen airfryer is not only faster and crisper as well as lower fat content, than conventional, but well prepared food in, good product out

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Excel said:

There is another thread running in other media  about air fryers and the poor quality food that results contributed to by very many experts in their field. Good if you like such tasteless and and badly prepared food, perhaps you do. Frankly my culinary standards are far higher than that and clearly yours to but guess each too his own. 

You're TTP right?

On 5/11/2022 at 11:59 PM, JetsetBkk said:

At Tamarind Bar/Restaurant in Chalong Bay tonight:

152294790_Tamarind750.jpg.e861366ba713686e0f2af002c2f3a9a3.jpg

1465313353_TamarindFishandChips750.jpg.0df8df73992fe24f7367c6fa7f79adc1.jpg

There for lunch today. Good fish. Good service, only 150 Baht.

All my years here I never thought try that place as it looks a scruffy dark bar, plus car parking not easy. I usual go Happy Days.

9 hours ago, Excel said:

There is another thread running in other media  about air fryers and the poor quality food that results contributed to by very many experts in their field. Good if you like such tasteless and and badly prepared food, perhaps you do. Frankly my culinary standards are far higher than that and clearly yours to but guess each too his own. 

You can't give an answer without insults? My standards may be below yours, but I was actually taught manners. Obviously, you weren't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2022 at 3:25 PM, LivinginKata said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Oh well no chance of an old style take away chippie/chipper.  Last time was about 20 years ago a younger English man opened a place in Patong about opposite the big massage brothel place on Rat u Tit. He lasted about 3 years and then moved to Pattaya

Due to the quality of spuds here mate - they are rubbish 

14 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, for frying.

Potatoes come in two types; waxy and floury.

Waxy makes good chips, floury makes good mash.

The potatoes here are floury.

My mum was literally born in a chippy and I have been a chef for over 25 yrs. MOST of the domestically produced spuds are from China & are grown to be big, crunchy & white - they have overly excessive water content, which as we know is the enemy of crispy. They are, on the whole, also terrible for mash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eezergood said:

My mum was literally born in a chippy and I have been a chef for over 25 yrs. MOST of the domestically produced spuds are from China & are grown to be big, crunchy & white - they have overly excessive water content, which as we know is the enemy of crispy. They are, on the whole, also terrible for mash.

Agreed, local potatoes (Thai) have a very high water content.   If making mash, I either bake them first or if boilding at least allow a couple of minutes 'steaming' once cooked and drained.

3 hours ago, eezergood said:

The mash I make with the local spuds is perfectly OK.

• Like 1

"The Islander" in Rawai does decent battered fish and chips every Friday for 200 baht, inclusive of mushy peas and tartare sauce. (though at that price likely to be 'dory' fish, which are OK if cooked properly).  Photo from their FB page.

image.thumb.jpeg.6be3aa1ba9f26be9b85a59429931be80.jpeg

• Like 1

I have fish and chips at Quenchers in Patong sometimes, it's not bad and you get mushy peas too... , though my favourite there is pork chop, I just wish the cook knew how to make a mash potatoe, but I still have it occasionally, good change to the daily Thai food...????

21 hours ago, Agusts said:

I have fish and chips at Quenchers in Patong sometimes, it's not bad and you get mushy peas too... , though my favourite there is pork chop, I just wish the cook knew how to make a mash potatoe, but I still have it occasionally, good change to the daily Thai food...????

I see what you did there Dan Quale

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...