Proper Chipper on Phuket Island ?

LivinginKata

My wife remarked today if I missed my home county. I thought and said only missed a good UK chip shop with many battered foods.  Got me thinking that the few appeared here over my 26 years soon expired.  Think 3 sprung up along 200 year road 20 years ago and one in Kata past the cross towards Club Med. All failed quicky. Last place I could get a battered sausage was Ting Tong on Nanai road made by some unreliable Thai ladies.

So my question is - any ideas, Yes I can get battered fish but never know what sort of fish. Go one time and get a nice meaty bit of fish, Same restaurant and get a thin inedible fish.

Really want battered burger or red sausage.

Thanks all

They failed to thrive because not was the product awful, the need for it does not exist, something I think your GP would appreciate. English stoge is not food.

The fish you get, be grateful you do not know its origins or handling process, until it gets to your gut.

• Confused 1

I usually go for "Fish and Chips" at my night's out in Chalong Bay's "Klong Beach" bar.

I've little idea what the fish is, but probably a "snapper" of some kind. But it tastes good - close enough to cod for me.

1431109857_KlongBeach.jpg.f5859ff79946c5af825ee54c020d4f9e.jpg

• Like 2

Though I never tried it, I believe there was a UK style Fish and Chip shop in Saiyuan, Rawai, possibly near the Stoned Crab?   I used to see them advertise regularly, though being not exactly local to me, never went.   These past two years and the disappearance of so many outlets be it food or otherwise, difficult to envisage their return.   I believe there was also a place in the Thalang area doing traditional fish and chips, though again, no idea if they've survived.

Of course, you're really talking about Scottish 'chippers', with their red, white, and black pudding suppers, which have never really existed anywhere in Thailand I don't believe.   I do have an Aberdonian friend who lives in Songhkla and has a bar/bakery who makes some Scottish favourites (Scotch Pie, Macaroni Pies, Rowies etc), and he does nation wide delivery.   Let me know if you want his contact details.   Put some photos below.

Again, these past two years, from being a regular restaurant goer, I've become a stay at home cook, as the produce to enjoy good food is still here, so whether it's British, Italian, Indian or Middle East, no problem.

242143303_4165460523564180_8263787000004182391_n.jpeg

150404985_3543181359125436_3342941590247221800_n.jpeg

242523915_4165460500230849_378636918444295861_n.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fish'n'chip shop opposite the Stoned Crab imports frozen Atlantic Cod fillets.

They make their own chips, not the ones out of the bag.

All this was reflected in the price which I thought far too much for what just humble fish'n'chips.

I also stay home and cook. So easy, especially with YouTube. That way, I know what goes in, the freshness of the ingredients and the state of the kitchen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

Is it like when they deep fry Mars Bars?

Yup,   I remember my first time in Scotland in the early 70's, and in a chip shop after a pub session, ordered a steak pie which was displayed in a heating cabinet.   I watched with horror as a pie was taken out and put into the deep fat fryer to get hot.   Fried everything (the exception being peas and beans).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

They failed to thrive because not was the product awful, the need for it does not exist, something I think your GP would appreciate. English stoge is not food.

The fish you get, be grateful you do not know its origins or handling process, until it gets to your gut.

They don't  thrive in the UK. Battered fish yes but there is no need to batter sausage or burgers. The idea  is a vile gimmick to appeal to the culinary illiterate.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

They don't  thrive in the UK. Battered fish yes but there is no need to batter sausage or burgers. The idea  is a vile gimmick to appeal to the culinary illiterate.

The white puddings are OK, essentially oats and onion.

13264014544_fd5ec6e065_k.jpeg

10 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I also stay home and cook. So easy, especially with YouTube. That way, I know what goes in, the freshness of the ingredients and the state of the kitchen.

Agreed.  ????  

590255979_IcelandCod600.jpg.d3394e0cd96f5d6bc138fc1f3b093b94.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The above looks crumbed.

The one opposite the stoned crab stopped a while ago unfortunately.

There's a small bar(Tropical sands bar?) near the Palm Breeze resort a bit further down the road, on the rhs heading towards naiharn that advertises f&C and Aussie pies, haven't tried yet but will do.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. Oh well no chance of an old style take away chippie/chipper.  Last time was about 20 years ago a younger English man opened a place in Patong about opposite the big massage brothel place on Rat u Tit. He lasted about 3 years and then moved to Pattaya

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Pity no Iceland here in Phuket/  

You can get a lot of Iceland stuff in Villa Market, including the pictured frozen fish. Also can get Waitrose frozen fish in Central food hall, which is prolly better fish. 

Edited by stuarty
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stuarty said:

You can get a lot of Iceland stuff in Villa Market, including the pictured frozen fish. Also can get Waitrose frozen fish in Central food hall, which is prolly better fish. 

Yes, that's where I got the packs of cod from.  ????

• Like 1

23 hours ago, beechbum said:

Got a couple of large Iceland brand lasagnas from Vila the other day, very nice.

And Villa also sell frozen cod. So suggest anybody who is longing for fish and chips just buy a deep fat fryer , mix a nice beer batter and cook it yourself.

9 hours ago, Excel said:

And Villa also sell frozen cod. So suggest anybody who is longing for fish and chips just buy a deep fat fryer , mix a nice beer batter and cook it yourself.

Deep-fat fryer? That's so twentieth century.

We have air-fryers now. Just as good, but without the fire hazard......

36 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Deep-fat fryer? That's so twentieth century.

We have air-fryers now. Just as good, but without the fire hazard......

There is another thread running in other media  about air fryers and the poor quality food that results contributed to by very many experts in their field. Good if you like such tasteless and and badly prepared food, perhaps you do. Frankly my culinary standards are far higher than that and clearly yours to but guess each too his own. 

Edited by Excel