Out of date Thai driving license? Hurry up to avoid fines and retesting says Thai media

webfact

8 hours ago, vandeventer said:

It's funny, I haven't shown my license to the police since I been here some twenty years now. If I didn't have insurance I would say what's the point of having one?

yeah, I been here almost 10 years and was never asked to show my license.. I don't drive regularly anymore but I did at some point.

Even when some lady crashed into me, didn't care about my drivers license (not having a license would normally automatically be your fault cause you're not supposed to be there) but all they wanted to do was take my bike away on a pickup and collect money for me to get it back after claiming it was my fault.

I did have a license, the other person didn't.. but they don't  know that since didn't check/care.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Seppius said:

My last five-year license was 3 years out, I don’t know how they expected you to renew it, when unable to get into the country.

So you don't have a licence from your home country ? there is also a driving school in Rayong. you can sit at the computer al day till you get it right.

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

A bit confusing, my understanding was that, for the purpose of renewing a driving license a

From my understanding, for driving license purposes a Certificate of Residence is nothing more than a document stating the address where you live/reside/sleep/live, taken from other documents, not necessarily proven to be correct. 

It's not a document making an official statement that you personally qualify to be recorded officially as a resident of Thailand. 

Perhaps I'm wrong.

You're right, the Residence Cert simply states the address listed on your tm-30 which I have stapled in my passport.

19 hours ago, daveAustin said:

It used to be that let it expire beyond birthday to get the five years and the rest of the year to your next birthday, so almost six years. If you did it before expiry you’d end up with slightly less than five years. Is this still a thing or have I got it wrong?

It’s still a thing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Seppius said:

Also I heard there is a school in Ban Saray where you can do the test

22 hours ago, Seppius said:

I have now sat the test twice and failed, first time I got 40 right 2nd time 43 you need 45 out of 50,

I did the test in Bang Saray.  I got 48/50 - one wrong answer.  I asked the instructor what I got wrong.  'Your answer right.  Test wrong'.!  I failed the 'Practikal' test on the emergency stop; despite only having hand brakes on motor bikes  you had to sit the pedal test. 1st time the instructions were in Thinglish which I didn't understand; 2nd time I demolished the machine by being too energetic; two strikes and I was out.  I returned the next day & cheated through every test.

35 minutes ago, maake55555 said:

How do you get a lifetime DL.  First time I have heard of this.  Would really like to have one??  Thanks in advance.

They were issued years ago, but no longer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, maake55555 said:

How do you get a lifetime DL.  First time I have heard of this.  Would really like to have one??  Thanks in advance.

No longer issued to anybody.

The dept., stopped issuing them about 10 - 15 years ago.

When they were available, customer just had to ask for lifetime issue.

I got mine at Rayong, company officer went with me.

Company lady asked me to bring all my documents: Work Permit, old current 1 or 2 year drivers licenses, Permanent Resident book and dark blue tabien baan book.

As soon as we appraoched the counter my company lady asked if it was possible to get lifetime licences (car and bike)?

Answer YES and 30 minute later we both walked out with lifetime licenses (old issue, typed on a card and photo glued on with a glue stick - now of course on plastic card computer generated with embedded photo taken at the gov't office.

No other document asked for or offered. 

This was about 20 years  ago. 

Edited by scorecard

17 hours ago, thaiowl said:
23 hours ago, daveAustin said:

It used to be that let it expire beyond birthday to get the five years and the rest of the year to your next birthday, so almost six years. If you did it before expiry you’d end up with slightly less than five years. Is this still a thing or have I got it wrong?

17 hours ago, thaiowl said:

In 2021 I renewed my 5-year licence a week after it expired (my birthday) and the new licence expires on my birthday in 2027...so nearly six years. So you are correct.

Almost correct, but not quite. It's quite correct that if you renew after the previous one has expired you will gain the extra days as stated. I've just done it myself.

But if you renew before expiry you will not loose any days. Your permission to drive is contiguous from the day you received your first full, 5 year license. I've just renewed mine and the issue date is 19 March 2016. That's the issue date of my previous license.

So it's win - win, but not loose-loose! ????

Edited by Moonlover

3 hours ago, maake55555 said:

My Mrs has one.......for M/C, says they were issued like that many years ago. She says there was an announcement that they plan to withdraw them though....

22 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

it's not worth the hassle getting one

just show your home country one and hope for the best

NO. TDL accepted for ALL non- Imm transactions here. It’s Govt. Photo ID and saves carrying Passport. Also legally required to drive here, and validate vehicle insurance, after initial three months stay. Far less hassle than Immigration. 

Edited by TropicalGuy

1 hour ago, TropicalGuy said:

NO. TDL accepted for ALL non- Imm transactions here. It’s Govt. Photo ID and saves carrying Passport. Also legally required to drive here, and validate vehicle insurance, after initial three months stay. Far less hassle than Immigration. 

what if you have an international driving permit?

12 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So you don't have a licence from your home country ? there is also a driving school in Rayong. you can sit at the computer al day till you get it right.

I have a full UK license with all categories , that I have had for 50 years,  when I came back here in December brought a years IDP, but they still said I had to do the test

Last try this coming Tuesday, if I fail I will keep using IDP

My license expired last year, haven't been back to Thailand for over 2 years due to pandemic you would think when i get to Thailand this July i should be able to renew with no testing or carry on like that, looks like that wont happen just typical stuff the powers to be dont consider

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My Mrs has one.......for M/C, says they were issued like that many years ago. She says there was an announcement that they plan to withdraw them though....

True, they stopped issuing lifetime driving licences maybe 20 years ago. 

I got my lifetime licenses (car & bike) a few years before that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Seppius said:

I have a full UK license with all categories , that I have had for 50 years,  when I came back here in December brought a years IDP, but they still said I had to do the test

Last try this coming Tuesday, if I fail I will keep using IDP

You tried to re-new your Thai DL, which is why they may be asking you to take the computer test. Unless they have changed the rules ???, you can obtain a Thai DL using your UK DL by just taking the reaction tests, and watching the stupid video, which apparently you can do on-line if not at the office. Did you show them your UK Diving Licence ? Go to a different office.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

"These licences can be renewed with no problems up to one year after they expired with no fines or problems."

It is important to note that expired is expired - there is no grace period. You may have a year to renew the license, but if the police stop you and your license has expired, you will be fined.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 11:02 PM, Lorry said:

Where is your address?

Can you renew your DL in Chachoengsao if your address is in Bangkok??

Yes, my address is Bangkok. There was no problem renewing elsewhere. You can go on the app and select any office that has availability. If nothing is available it doesn't allow you to select that office.

I still have a booking for 24th June at Lat Krabang, if that is transferable you are welcome to have it, please check and if so DM me. This appointment was made actually at the office and not via the app.

1 hour ago, Goethe said:

"These licences can be renewed with no problems up to one year after they expired with no fines or problems."

It is important to note that expired is expired - there is no grace period. You may have a year to renew the license, but if the police stop you and your license has expired, you will be fined.

Agreed...........i got fined 2 weeks ago, tried to argue the one years grace period, cop wasnt interested..................500 fine

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

You tried to re-new your Thai DL, which is why they may be asking you to take the computer test. Unless they have changed the rules ???, you can obtain a Thai DL using your UK DL by just taking the reaction tests, and watching the stupid video, which apparently you can do on-line if not at the office. Did you show them your UK Diving Licence ? Go to a different office.

Yes, I showed them my full UK license and IDP complete with copies when I started the process last week, do you think it's worth starting again, and not showing my old Thai one?, I am going back Tues, so I will go and see the girls in the  tent outside first and see what they say, if I would still have to do the test

56 minutes ago, Seppius said:

do you think it's worth starting again, and not showing my old Thai one?,

IMO yes but I would go to a different office, or If you have a friend that speaks Thai get them to phone the office, don't mention what you have already done, just ask "what I need to change from 'Falang' DL to Thai ? "  I personally have not heard of any changes, 'cept you can view the vid on line. Alternately you can just show up with the doc's required as I did last year in Trat, they checked it all and gave me an appointment one week after. But I was only renewing 5yr. Had to sit through the vid, I did nothing on-line. 

• Like 1

My "ole lady's" expired for car, she found a place and they made a long van ride to different province and walked all through. Two vehicles full, price was 4500thb each, they helped at 50 question exam, everything. But it was an all day trip.