Out of date Thai driving license? Hurry up to avoid fines and retesting says Thai media

webfact

36 minutes ago, Seppius said:

I was going to do a post on this. Doing mine at the moment

My last five-year license was 3 years out, I don’t know how they expected you to renew it, when unable to get into the country.

Anyway, first part is simple, paper work is straight forward. Medical/Residence certificate and photocopy relevant passport pages

Color-blind and reaction test is easy.

There is a tent outside which says foreigners, go early say 8am at latest, submit paper work. I was then told come back next day 2.30pm

Next day upstairs to do above tests. At this point I was told I would need to do the 50 questions as cannot renew my old license as its out of date, so come back tomorrow, which i did. So 3rd journey there.

I have now sat the test twice and failed, first time I got 40 right 2nd time 43 you need 45 out of 50, I still have to go back again to try again as of writing this.

The questions don't translate very well. There are plenty of places online that give you an idea of the questions, in the end I paid B399 to this place, their test is the closest to the original I have found, but not comprehensive enough

https://thaidriverslicenseservice.com/clients/membership-levels/

Free site is https://move2thailand.com/driving-license-exam-in-thailand-2020/

Also I heard there is a school in Ban Saray where you can do the test

Pm me or I will keep an eye on this tread to answer questions

Not looking forward to going back a fourth time, it's a long way on a bike from Jomtien

Imprisonment not over 1 month or fined not more than 1,000 baht or both

Was stopped at police checkpoints outside Patong yesterday AND entering Phuket Town for TDL Checks !????Always Carry My Valid TDL.Use it back home too ….. 

Driving School do the whole License thing as Agent ? No need to go yourself to DLT and Test etc. ?

Last Year I converted my PITA House Yellow Book into a Five Year Pink ID -based ( replaced 2 year passport- based TDL) TDL at DLT.

Had no DLT Covid - closure issues but those did come later.

No Way I’m letting my TDL expire by even one day ! It’s the BEST Thai Govt. Photo ID. Always Accepted for Everything (except Imm of course!).

whereas my Pink ID always Rejected. ???? One member said that’s because its looked down here as reduces Westerners to ASEAN Migrant status  ! Ha ! Tell THAT to Interior Ministry who issued mine ! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TropicalGuy said:

Was stopped at police checkpoints outside Patong yesterday AND entering Phuket Town for TDL Checks !????Always Carry My Valid TDL.Use it back home too ….. 

Driving School do the whole License thing as Agent ? No need to go yourself to DLT and Test etc. ?

Last Year I converted my PITA House Yellow Book into a Five Year Pink ID -based ( replaced 2 year passport- based TDL) TDL at DLT.

No Way I’m letting my TDL expire by even one day ! It’s the BEST Thai Govt. Photo ID. Always Accepted for Everything (except Imm of course!).

whereas my Pink ID always Rejected. ???? One member said that’s because its looked down here as reduces Westerners to ASEAN Migrant status  ! Ha ! Tell THAT to Interior Ministry who issued mine ! 

BUT no way did those coppers check ANY TDL Detail, they just wanted to see you carried one! 
one second glance & Kaap ( go). 
could have been of any status or person…..

21 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Could be wrong but I suspect that the issue of the pink card to foreigners and migrants workers etc is from the Interior Ministry, but actually processed at many amphur offices (mine at amphur office in CM).

Please tell me if this is wrong. 

It used to be that let it expire beyond birthday to get the five years and the rest of the year to your next birthday, so almost six years. If you did it before expiry you’d end up with slightly less than five years. Is this still a thing or have I got it wrong?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Could be wrong but I suspect that the issue of the pink card to foreigners and migrants workers etc is from the Interior Ministry, but actually processed at many amphur offices (mine at amphur office in CM).

Please tell me if this is wrong. 

You are correct. However, my Municipal is so corrupt they are not trusted by Govt. to issue the pink ID.

But you may have closed the loop for me on this. I have been issued a migrant card as regular foreigner ID not available ! Now I must check mine with others. Thanks.

Just now, TropicalGuy said:

You are correct. However, my Municipal is so corrupt they are not trusted by Govt. to issue the pink ID.

But you may have closed the loop for me on this. I have been issued a migrant card as regular foreigner ID not available ! Now I must check mine with others. Thanks.

No. I’ve got that wrong. I went direct to Interior Ministry so card is same …..

The whole process of getting a licence can be extremely slow!

My daughter is 16 going on 17. She went to apply for a licence to ride a scooter.

She went for a medical - the only question the doctor asked was have you had Covid! Then she went to apply. Filled in the paperwork, usual hiatus because she looks western; where is your Passport? Why do you have a Thai ID?  Once that was sorted, come back two weeks later for the training, then another week to wait for the exam and practical test. Then a ten day wait for the results, (passed), then wait for an SMS to come in and collect the card. 

7 weeks in total, and four visits to the office, including two full day sessions.

No wonder many don't bother!

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

It used to be that let it expire beyond birthday to get the five years and the rest of the year to your next birthday, so almost six years. If you did it before expiry you’d end up with slightly less than five years. Is this still a thing or have I got it wrong?

I actually went after my lucemce had finished and after my birthday.  They take it to your next birthday after 5 years, so in effect i got just under 6 years, it finishes now in 2028. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Correct

Renewed mine last week, ran out in December 21............got stopped by police 10 days ago in Pattaya 500 baht fine so made the effort..................interesting thing is paid the fine at the cop shop , went back to bike, cop gave me the keys and off i went even though he knew my license had expired..............just goes to show its nothing to do with road safety

Anyway trip to immigration and a local clinic , next day out to the licensing center to book an appt for 9am the next day............colour test and brake reaction.................was out by 12pm

Longest wait was a good hour waiting for license to be printed.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Renewed mine last week, ran out in December 21............got stopped by police 10 days ago in Pattaya 500 baht fine so made the effort..................interesting thing is paid the fine at the cop shop , went back to bike, cop gave me the keys and off i went even though he knew my license had expired..............just goes to show its nothing to do with road safety

Anyway trip to immigration and a local clinic , next day out to the licensing center to book an appt for 9am the next day............colour test and brake reaction.................was out by 12pm

Longest wait was a good hour waiting for license to be printed.

It's funny, I haven't shown my license to the police since I been here some twenty years now. If I didn't have insurance I would say what's the point of having one?

• Thanks 1

My Driving license did expire and I did apply for the appointment last year. Since I realy did not believe that there was no appointment avaialable for months I did visit in Person in Bangkok DLT at Sukhumvit. It was true my appintment was then 5 months later April when I did visit in December.

I got an appointment-card and did tell them that my license has expired. The feedback was that I should just show this appointment card if I am stopped. 

I was stopped in February and the police noticed my license was expired. While providing the explanation and showing a picture of the appointment-card I did not pay any fine.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I have a lifetime driving licence, issued some 35 years ago. Some people have suggested to me that this is no longer valid, but never had any problems when asked to produce the licence at a road check.

You have done well to make the paper last. LTO will issue you the new style one, it will still be Lifetime.

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Yes it’s still a thing ????????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seppius said:

I was going to do a post on this. Doing mine at the moment

My last five-year license was 3 years out, I don’t know how they expected you to renew it, when unable to get into the country.

Anyway, first part is simple, paper work is straight forward. Medical/Residence certificate and photocopy relevant passport pages

Color-blind and reaction test is easy.

There is a tent outside which says foreigners, go early say 8am at latest, submit paper work. I was then told come back next day 2.30pm

Next day upstairs to do above tests. At this point I was told I would need to do the 50 questions as cannot renew my old license as its out of date, so come back tomorrow, which i did. So 3rd journey there.

I have now sat the test twice and failed, first time I got 40 right 2nd time 43 you need 45 out of 50, I still have to go back again to try again as of writing this.

The questions don't translate very well. There are plenty of places online that give you an idea of the questions, in the end I paid B399 to this place, their test is the closest to the original I have found, but not comprehensive enough

https://thaidriverslicenseservice.com/clients/membership-levels/

Free site is https://move2thailand.com/driving-license-exam-in-thailand-2020/

Also I heard there is a school in Ban Saray where you can do the test

Pm me or I will keep an eye on this tread to answer questions

Not looking forward to going back a fourth time, it's a long way on a bike from Jomtien

Imprisonment not over 1 month or fined not more than 1,000 baht or both

Mityon Driving School, on Suk near Bang Saray. 1000thb for MB, not sure for car. 

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Like 1