Savannakhet Visa based on marriage

Is it now possible to travel to Savannakhet like before Covid?

Has anyone done it yet?

I am planning on applying for a Non-O visa based on marriage there.

Do they now require the proof of 400k on a Thai bank account or not?

Are there any other special requirements to enter Laos and to re-enter Thailand?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tod-daniels said:

The other consulate that used to issue those year-multi Non-O's without funds was the one in Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam

The official consulates in Penang and Kota Bharu in Malaysia were also issuing them but did want some financial proof.

1 hour ago, tod-daniels said:

Remember before ONLY Savannakhet would issue the year-long, multi-entry Non-O's based on marriage to a thai or raising half thai children without proof of funds.

Savannakhet was not issuing a multiple entry non-o visas for being the parent of Thai. They only did single entry non-o visas.

At one time they issued them but only if the child and the mother were with a person when applying.

• Like 1

I have heard rumblings that the Savannakhet border was open. I used that port of entry before COVID, then changed my status to retired when it became difficult and costly to do the boarder run. I used an agency to navigate immigrations, they also funded my bank account with the required funds needed. I don't know how they got around the days required the deposit be in my account before and after, and I did not ask. I also know that the 800K is not require if you can show bank deposits of 64,000 baht a month for the past year, which would not require a boarder run. Good luck with your renewal.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Davef2912 said:

I hope this information will be helpful to fellow foreigners here in Thailand.

Excellent report thanks.

So single entry non O based on marriage. 

Are multiple entry non O marriage available at Savannakhet? 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

So single entry non O based on marriage. 

Are multiple entry non O marriage available at Savannakhet? 

It appears he got a multiple entry non-o visa.

14 minutes ago, Davef2912 said:

Thai Visa 5000 (Non-O, Thai spouse, I provided the documents mentioned on the website of the Savannakhet Thai embassy, Thai Visa application needs to be submitted until 11:30 (you need to be in the cue until that time)

The 2000 baht or $40 was for the Lao visa on arrival.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It appears he got a multiple entry non-o visa.

Is that because of his stated visa cost? 

Didn't see anywhere he mention ME non O.

From his OP...

"I am planning on applying for a Non-O visa based on marriage there."......and 

"Thai Visa 5000 (Non-O, Thai spouse"...) 

Is cost of multiple entry non O marriage one year visa 5000baht? 

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, Davef2912 said:

So, I went to Savannakhet last week.

Everything went fine. 

The border is open and the consulate operates as usual.

I was the only Farang there I think.

I got number 9 on the ticket to pick up my passport and I think that was the whole number of people who applied for a visa on that day.

The only thing that changed is that Laos Visa is now 2000 THB or 40 USD.

Here a breakdown of expenses and some additional information about my trip from Chiang Mai to Savannakhet and back.

Flight cnx - khon kaen 1700
(Arrival 15:10)
Taxi airport -bus station 220
Minivan to mukdahan 220 
(Departure 16:00, arrival 20:30)
Tuk tuk to hotel 50
Hotel 350 (B2) (nice and clean, good internet but walls thin like paper)
Tuk tuk to Busstation 40
Taxi to border 120 (call Mr. Lod 0621931218)
Bus across the bridge 50
(First bus at 08:30 ,Bus actually leaves 09:30
Make Laos visa done around 10:00
(Visa fee 2000 THB or 40 USD)
Thai Visa 5000 (Non-O, Thai spouse, I provided the documents mentioned on the website of the Savannakhet Thai embassy, Thai Visa application needs to be submitted until 11:30 (you need to be in the cue until that time)

Tuk tuk to hotel 100 THB
Avalon 2 hotel 400 thb (okay hotel, reasonable internet)
Tuk tuk zu embassy 100thb
Bus over bridge 50thb
Flight to BKK 1900
Taxi to Busstation 250
Bus to cnx 658

All in all I spent around 13000 THB, not including food.

I hope this information will be helpful to fellow foreigners here in Thailand.

Was there any mention of money in the bank, or is it the same as before, just original marriage certs and copies etc...?

1 hour ago, Davef2912 said:

So, I went to Savannakhet last week.

Sorry for dumb questions:

at the Lao border, any Covid related checks? (vaccine certificate)

On returning to Thailand: did you need a Thai pass (online application) with Covid insurance?

I am considering options to get rid of my Non O-A visa status later in the year. Would need insurance by the new 3 mio Baht rules.

Mukdahan is a 3.5 hour drive by car for me.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Sorry for dumb questions:

at the Lao border, any Covid related checks? (vaccine certificate)

On returning to Thailand: did you need a Thai pass (online application) with Covid insurance?

No quarantine if you are fully vaccinated for entry to Laos.

You will need a Thailand Pass to enter Thailand at this time and $10k US of coved 19 insurance coverage valid for 30 days.

Would you be applying for a single entry non-o visa at the consulate or just doing a short stay in Laos to enter visa exempt and applying for the non-o visa at immigration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Would you be applying for a single entry non-o visa at the consulate or just doing a short stay in Laos to enter visa exempt and applying for the non-o visa at immigration.

If there is a path from visa exempt entry to Non-O and subsequent extension I would prefer. Could be done in a day.

Conditions for retirement extension are met (> 50yr, 800k+ ever since).

A simple border run with exempt entry would be easier for me at Nong Khai (much closer).

Edited by KhunBENQ

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

If there is a path from visa exempt entry to Non-O and subsequent extension I would prefer. Could be done in a day.

Conditions for retirement extension are met (> 50yr, 800k+ ever since).

A simple border run with exempt entry would be easier for me at Nong Khai (much closer).

There is pathway from visa exempt to non O retirement and subsequent extension.

Easy for you given you have Thai bank account in place. 

The border bounce is not as it was pre covid.

You still need TP to reenter Thailand and the 10k covid insurance cover 30 days. 

BTW how did you last enter Thailand? Was it by a tourist visa or visa exempt or.....? 

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

BTW how did you last enter Thailand? Was it by a tourist visa or visa exempt or.....? 

2011 with the Non O-A. That is a problem now with the retrospective requirement of a "TIGA" compliant healt insurance. For two years I paid a relatively cheap pro forma insurance.

39 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

2011 with the Non O-A. That is a problem now with the retrospective requirement of a "TIGA" compliant healt insurance. For two years I paid a relatively cheap pro forma insurance.

On your page now.

Yes just exit without reentry permit and reenter visa exempt.

Pretty much straight away obtain your non O retirement then in last 30 days of the 90 day permit from the non O obtain 12 month extension. No insurance..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 12:07 PM, DrJack54 said:
On 5/24/2022 at 11:25 AM, KhunBENQ said:

On your page now.

Yes just exit without reentry permit and reenter visa exempt.

Pretty much straight away obtain your non O retirement then in last 30 days of the 90 day permit from the non O obtain 12 month extension. No insurance..

If @KhunBENQ is using Udon Thani immigration, it is very easy and just as you suggest. I 'converted' my early 2020 visa-exempt entry to a 90-day Non-O with subsequent 1-year RetExt in early 2021 after getting fed up with the vagaries of Covid extensions.

• Thanks 1

I am using Khon Kaen.

But they are also fairly easy to handle.

I am thinking of visiting the office beforehand and talk to first level boss. Lady who signs retirement extensions etc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I am using Khon Kaen.

But they are also fairly easy to handle.

I am thinking of visiting the office beforehand and talk to first level boss. Lady who signs retirement extensions etc.

Yes, I hear they're not too bad to deal with. As always, best to get it from the horse's mouth.

...and once again a few days before actually doing the deed.

On 5/23/2022 at 8:03 PM, Davef2912 said:

The bank statement is not mentioned on the Website of the Consulate and nobody asked for it.

When leaving Thailand and they wanted to see if I had the Thailand pass, but they didn't really scan it.

When re-entering Thailand it was the same.

When applying for the Thai pass, I submitted pictures of my Pakan Sankom (Thai Social Security) Card as well as my accident insurance (Aetna) card. Both of them provide coverage of more than 10.000 USD

When entering Laos I showed them my vaccination certificates but they were not really interested in them.

Fantastic! So, Dovef, you did indeed get a Non-O, 1-year, multi entry, on marriage? I think it's clear you got a multi-entry but If you would be so kind to confirm, is it a one-year validity visa? Or just multi entry, 90-day visa? (I'm not ever sure they exist).

Many thanks!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bamboozled said:

Fantastic! So, Dovef, you did indeed get a Non-O, 1-year, multi entry, on marriage? I think it's clear you got a multi-entry but If you would be so kind to confirm, is it a one-year validity visa? Or just multi entry, 90-day visa? (I'm not ever sure they exist).

Many thanks!

I have confirmed it via PM with Dave, 1 year multi-O, no funds proof needed, same as it was before covid....   ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

I have confirmed it via PM with Dave, 1 year multi-O, no funds proof needed, same as it was before covid....   ????

Very good news, indeed. See you all there for a tall-boy Bia Lao. Thanks for stepping in , Transam. Do you have a golden eagle tattooed on your chest?

1 minute ago, bamboozled said:

Very good news, indeed. See you all there for a tall-boy Bia Lao. Thanks for stepping in , Transam. Do you have a golden eagle tattooed on your chest?

No, I didn't have one on my Trans either, thought a bit OTT......????

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 9:59 AM, transam said:

This is the best news I've read for 3 years!

@ Davef2912

If you wouldn't mind(& haven't done so elsewhere), could you tell us what you had to show to the consulate? I'm worried I'll arrive with everything I've read & been told I need, only to be refused on something minor.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by MaiDong

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nolly67 said:

Did you take your wife?

I have been there about 10 times in the past, Mrs.T goes with me for the "holiday" thing, but she is not with me at the window where you do your business, she sits in the waiting area in case of a problem, she has never been needed...