Termites

33 RPM

Well the current infestation is in full swing down here in Prachuap.

5 nights , 5 mornings of sweeping vacuuming cleaning etc etc

the house and new building are piped with god only knows what chemicals, but my question is regarding timber outside

i have an upright piano thats being used , or will be used as a water feature

what treatment is suggested to treat / spray the piano to lessen or hopefully eliminate the risk of it being consumed

Thanks..

1 hour ago, 33 RPM said:

i have an upright piano thats being used , or will be used as a water feature

what treatment is suggested to treat / spray the piano to lessen or hopefully eliminate the risk of it being consumed

It really depends on if you are going to have fish in the water. If not then use the liquid Chandrite in the cans. Several coats separated by an hour or so each then at least a week to completely dry. The water may wash off the coating but it will also protect from insects, anything that stays dry will be protected. Use a garden pump sprayer for the Chandrite.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, 33 RPM said:

Good work Dr Jack

that will give the frickers a lot more fibre in their diet

plus the inside can never be spotless, something I consider a necessity in a kitchen

No need to do anything. Termites will infest wooden fixtures which are permanent like kitchen cabinets that are affixed to the wall or wooden claddings. Termites sneaked in and build tubes from soil and wood with their saliva to reach the wooden structures. Your piano is not static nor fixed to the wall. No need to swipe with nasty chemicals especially for piano which can be picked up by touch and smell. Just be watchful of earthy tubes in your house. 

Termites are like whack a mole ,get rid of them in one place

and the pop up somewhere else,.

We used to get them quite regular , but when we started putting

garden cuttings under the trees and bushes around our perimeter

wall, supplying them with plenty of food they have never bothered

with the house. for a few years now.

regards Worgeordie

The Piano is and will be somewhat elevated off the ground sitting on concrete footings, so im hoping thats a help

its been it its Current " waiting position " for 2 months now and not a sign of the little frickers at all

fortunately im on a decent sized block with ample opportunity to give them food away from the house and piano

there was a "big " mound down near a huge bamboo tree that was disposed of, perfect spot for termites i guess with all that leaf matter etc

On 6/1/2022 at 10:35 AM, DrJack54 said:

Yep one year old.

Had kitchen removed sat and Monday started concrete kitchen and granite bench top Tuesday

Screenshot_20220530-143740.jpg

Screenshot_20220530-143759.jpg

Screenshot_20220531-190823.jpg

Very nice.

I've had a few 'built in' kitchens but they don't last.

If you donn't mind me asking what do you do for doors etc with a concrete carcass like this? would you post some pics when finished?

6 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Very nice.

I've had a few 'built in' kitchens but they don't last.

If you donn't mind me asking what do you do for doors etc with a concrete carcass like this? would you post some pics when finished?

So with everything it was 100k.

However that included work on roof and some electrical etc.

All done in 5 days. 

I'm happy with the team.

Screenshot_20220603-083932~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220603-084015~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220603-084132~2.jpg

Edited by DrJack54

On 6/1/2022 at 6:32 AM, 33 RPM said:

The Piano is and will be somewhat elevated off the ground sitting on concrete footings, so im hoping thats a help

its been it its Current " waiting position " for 2 months now and not a sign of the little frickers at all

fortunately im on a decent sized block with ample opportunity to give them food away from the house and piano

there was a "big " mound down near a huge bamboo tree that was disposed of, perfect spot for termites i guess with all that leaf matter etc

That is no guarantee of anything. If it isn’t treated it is almost guaranteed that sometime they will come.

I have a small top/shelf that sits on a steel frame that is attached to a concrete pillar. It has been sitting loose there for a couple of years now. I don’t remember if I treated it as it isn’t designed to be the final piece just a pattern. This week I got a message from SWMBO telling me that the termites have arrived 

5726EC10-2868-4DA8-87E7-A85E6662016D.jpeg.a5b371871677463453ed5a2494a98879.jpeg

so when I get back to Thailand that will have to be one of my first jobs.

As a general rule for protection of wooden structures against termite (pluu-akh) is to apply the Chaindrite (spray or paint) on the connecting surfaces wherever the wood is touching concrete.  And that prior to have it built in - what mostly is omitted.

Usually, teak wood is considered as sure against termites. However, there are also case proving otherwise, especially if the teak is not very mature.

Interestingly, the local acacia wood (mai chamchaa) is rarely attacked by termites.