Manilla SSA and Citibank Ripoff

I recently modified my SSA retirement deposits from a bank in the States, to Bangkok Bank. Might have been a mistake. Wise was reasonable and I would go a full quarter, then transfer a lump sum after watching the exchange rates at leisure.

There are two issues:

In a written notice in October, the SSA claimed it had overpaid me. They gave no accounting nor bothered to mention the actual amount. They simply said they would withhold the December and January payments, then payments at $xxxx amount would resume in February. However, they did not pay the February benefit either. How any "overpayment" could work out to exactly two (or three) months' benefits is beyond me. 

Secondly, the March/April/May payments are less than what the SSA notice stated they would be, and each is different from the other.

I am still waiting to hear back from SSA headquarters with specifics and an answer to my appeal (gee, it's only been five months). I am also waiting for BKK Bank (telling me the amount that the SSA is actually sending in dollars, by issuing me what they call a Certificate of Credit Advice for each transfer).

(Side note: the fee BKK Bank charges is ridiculously low and fixed.)

Citibank is the intermediary and they appear to be lining their pockets from my decades of hard work. Maybe by a <deleted> exchange rate, or a fee, or both. I don't know. BKK Bank rep could not immediately tell me (had to put in the CCA request) and Manilla, well, they don't know how to even spell SSA.

Manilla is polite but slow to respond, never gets into specifics, and never directly answers any questions. Their last response was, "They (headquarters, I guess) believe they are paying you the correct amount."

Big help. Very official.

The last three deposits have varied greatly, each about 5-7% different from the previous month. None come within 20% of the actual benefit amount, and are also inversely proportional from one another to that day's exchange rate...the payments actually increased with a worse exchange rate.

Anyone have similar issues with Citibank?

Other input from those who get benefits through Manilla?

It seems it might be best to switch the direct deposit back to the States.....

Not sure I can explain anything; never heard of anything like this. So, sorry about that. 

I am confused about one thing, though. Maybe two. 

First, how did Citibank get involved in this as an "intermediary?" You say you switched from a bank in the States to Bangkok Bank, so how did Citibank get involved? (I acknowledge I may be the only one posting on this board who doesn't know the answer to this, but there it is! ????????????)

Second, when you switched to Bangkok Bank, did you switch to having your funds deposited into their New York branch? Not knowing any better, it seems to me that should eliminate any need for an "intermediary" at all......... but who knows? 555

Otherwise, what you've gone through......... are going through........ sounds downright weird! 

Cheers! 

On 5/12/2022 at 8:53 PM, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Not sure I can explain anything; never heard of anything like this. So, sorry about that. 

I am confused about one thing, though. Maybe two. 

First, how did Citibank get involved in this as an "intermediary?" You say you switched from a bank in the States to Bangkok Bank, so how did Citibank get involved? (I acknowledge I may be the only one posting on this board who doesn't know the answer to this, but there it is! ????????????)

Second, when you switched to Bangkok Bank, did you switch to having your funds deposited into their New York branch? Not knowing any better, it seems to me that should eliminate any need for an "intermediary" at all......... but who knows? 555

Otherwise, what you've gone through......... are going through........ sounds downright weird! 

Cheers! 

I have transferred funds from the States to an oversea's account for decades, while the money goes through the Fed I've never had Citibank involved. Wells Fargo was involved but did not take a cut. It was a flat $30 fee for years.

The US halted fund transfer through the NY branch a while back. Then the fee went up to $50, so I used Wise.

Still trying to get the paperwork from BKK Bank with exact accounting.....

I filed that form in December. Not a word back. 

Also bypassed Manilla and wrote directly to the SSA in March, when Manilla stopped responding. Not a word back.

I never use the phone for matters like this. No paper trail.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 9:19 AM, Reposed said:

I have transferred funds from the States to an oversea's account for decades, while the money goes through the Fed I've never had Citibank involved. Wells Fargo was involved but did not take a cut. It was a flat $30 fee for years.

The US halted fund transfer through the NY branch a while back. Then the fee went up to $50, so I used Wise.

Still trying to get the paperwork from BKK Bank with exact accounting.....

This is not making sense as Bangkok Bank NY has no issues direct deposit transfers from government (what changed was ACH had to be international format starting in 2019).  And at no time would any other bank be involved. The fee was never $30 or $50. 

Were you getting paid by government checks by chance?  Was payment to Wells Fargo rather than Bangkok Bank account here?  Suspect you may have had SS deposited to a US bank and then used ACH transfer to Bangkok Bank NY for onward credit to account here in Thailand.  That would not work after the change in 2019 for international format of ACH.

At any rate that is water under the bridge - you really need to know what is being deposited to who and how it is getting into your account - as you have used several conflicting paths to set this up (you are required to do via office in PI when living here from my understanding) things may have gotten garbled.  But if you have paperwork would try to unscramble the government gobble de gook to get a better handle on it.   Good luck.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Pib said:

OP,

You need to ensure that you know what "net" amount the SSA is sending  you....then you can easily determine the net dollar payment the SSA is sending.   By net amount I mean the amount sent after any taxes and other possible deductions like Medicare Part B....or said another way how much net payment the SSA is sending out before any exchange/fees are applied along its trek to your Thai bank.  Did those SSA notices of payment state "net" amount?    And in your case how much the overpayment recovery is affecting your normal net amount.   

Since the SSA said they overpaid you this could also complicate how much you are being paid from whatever your normal amount would be...all depends on how much they are withholding per month to effect recovery.   

Additionally, the ever changing exchange rate will mean you will receive a slightly different amount each month....not  necessarily because the SSA is changing the net amount sent but because the changing exchange rate can make it appear that way.  Actually,  over recent months if, repeat if, the SSA had been sending you the same amount each month the rising exchange rate would have resulted in a slightly higher amount of Thai baht posting to your account.

Since you mentioned Citibank is involved that tells me you signed up for payment International Direct Deposit (IDD) vs ACH Direct Deposit.  ACH routes U.S. dollar payment thru Bangkok Bank NY branch to your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank acct.    IDD uses the SWIFT system.

Citibank happens to be the current U.S. contractor bank that the U.S. Treasury uses to make IDD payments to Thailand and some other countries.  IDD uses the SWIFT system and not the ACH system which uses ACH/ABA bank routing numbers.  If you had signed up for payment via ACH your payment can only occur to a Bangkok Bank acct with routing thru the Bangkok Bank New York branch.   IDD payments can be made to any Thai bank (including Bangkok Bank) and the Bangkok Bank NY branch  is "not" involved in IDD payments. 

U.S. Treasury IDD exchange rates are not posted anywhere like how Thai bank's post their exchange rate for receipt of international payments.  The IDD exchange rate for your payment is determined by the U.S. Treasury/its IDD contractor bank a few days before actual payment as Uncle Sam needs to round up Thai baht to make the transfer in Thai baht vs dollars.   The SSA instructs the U.S. Treasury to make a payment of X-amount dollars via IDD and then the U.S. Treasury/its contractor bank exchanges it to baht to transfer.

With IDD the U.S. Treasury/its contractor bank (i.e., Citibank Global) converts your payment to Thai baht "before" sending; it's  not converted on the Thailand end since it's received in Thailand as baht....no need to convert.  And Citibank Thailand is not involved in the conversion as they receive the payment in baht already....and then Citibank Thailand relays those funds to whatever Thai bank you use.  The receiving Thai bank will charge a Bt100 BAHTNET receiving fee since the last leg of the payment occurs over the BAHTNET system (BAHTNET interfaces with SWIFT).  That is the "only" fee that applies for a IDD payment and that fee is applied by the "receiving" bank....a Bt100 BAHTNET receiving fee is typical for all Thai banks.

Since payment via ACH and IDD uses different exchange rates and fees, IDD is better than ACH in terms of most baht posting to your Thai bank acct for amounts of approx $1,125 and less after all the exchange rate/fee dust settles.....and ACH is better for amounts over approx $1,125 considering exchange rate and fees.  I determined this crossover point after tracking my wife's IDD over 12 months and comparing this to if the payment had occurred via ACH.

Only SSA can answer your questions about the overpayment issue, but one thing for sure your normal payment amount will only occur after all overpayments are fully recovered by the SSA.  

I don't think the credit advice you are asking to get from Bangkok Bank is going to help you...they will probably refer you to CitiBank Thailand as Citibank is the bank that received your payment already in Thai baht (not dollars) and then just relayed it over to your Bangkok Bank acct via the BAHTNET system.   SSA is the one to tell you the net amount in dollars they requested the U.S. Treasury/Citibank Global send to you.    

Since I my wife receives her SS payment via IDD to her Thai bank acct I can tell you the IDD exchange rate used for her 3 May payment as I know to the penny the "net" dollar amount of her SSA payment and how much Thai baht was received along with the receiving fee.  And that IDD rate was 33.7775...and total transfer fees were Bt100 which was the Thai bank BAHTNET receiving fee.  All that info is provided in an SMS she gets from her Thai bank which happens to be Bangkok Bank.  And that SMS only shows the amount of Thai baht received from the Citibank Thailand relay along with the Bt100 receiving fee. With that info the exchange rate is simply determined by dividing the amount of baht received before Bt100 fee deduction by the net dollar amount SSA sent.   If she was still using the ACH method for payment that SMS would instead shown the amount of dollars received after Bangkok Bank NY sliced off its relay fee and the in-Thailand bank receiving fee of 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max) along with the Bangkok Bank exchange rate used.

Good info, thanks.

I do indeed know the exact net dollar amount of my benefit.

SSA mailed a notice to my Thai address, giving that figure, and stating that that amount would be paid every month starting in February. However, each payment has been dramatically different than the others since then. This, presumably, after the alleged overpayment had been paid by SSA not depositing December and January benefits. Amazing that an overpayment would be exactly the sum of two months benefits (according to their November notice).

SSA has never told me what dollar amount the alleged overpayment was. They have never told me why there was an alleged overpayment, nor how they calculated it, nor when the alleged overpayment was made. This, despite the fact that I have asked Manilla numerous times, and they refuse to answer.

Further, in that notice, they claim I was paid amounts that are actually over the amounts deposited; seems they underpaid me, not overpaid me.

Based on your input, it is not Citibank skimming with the exchange rate, and certainly not BKK Bank (their fee is as you said, small and fixed), so it must be SSA screwing up. 

It has been 5 months and still no response re: my submitting SSA Form 561-U2, along with a cover letter. Manilla also refuses to state whether or not there has been a response, only stating they "forwarded it and the amounts being deposited now are correct."

Due to a total lack of response,  I have reluctantly contacted my state senator. Maybe by 2030, this will be fixed....

Sad when you work hard from the age of 15, being a productive citizen, having money taken from you under the guise of supporting you late in life, then they can't won't pay what you are owed, and won't answer to it.

Do you have online access to your SSA account?  If so, you can see your payment details.  I'm guessing you don't.  I have heard others say that you can't set up your online access to SSA from Thailand.  There is no good reason for such a restriction.

I realize that you want a paper trail but calling the SSA is the best way to find out what is going on with your benefits.  You can make better choices for future actions once you know the current status of your benefits.  I called the SSA about every two weeks using Google Voice (free service).  I had to wait on hold about an hour every call, but the information I was able to get was very helpful in getting my application corrected in a reasonable time.  I had set up my online SSA account so that all notices would be sent electronically.  I don't advise doing that because I never got any electronic or mailed notices from SSA.  I have since switched back to receiving both mailed and electronic delivery of future notices.  I finally got some mailed notices but still never got electronic notices.

I am also extremely disappointed at the quality of service from FBU Manila.  When I sent them an e-mail with 3 questions I received an answer somewhat related to the first question but it wouldn't solve the problem or add any clarity.  The other two questions were ignored.

FBU Manila made a really obvious error when they completed my benefits application after a phone consultation.  If they had bothered to send me a copy of the application for review, I would have caught the error.  I don't know how many months delay their error caused but I finally got paid 8 months after they submitted the erroneous application.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Do you have online access to your SSA account?  If so, you can see your payment details.  I'm guessing you don't.  I have heard others say that you can't set up your online access to SSA from Thailand.  There is no good reason for such a restriction.

I realize that you want a paper trail but calling the SSA is the best way to find out what is going on with your benefits.  You can make better choices for future actions once you know the current status of your benefits.  I called the SSA about every two weeks using Google Voice (free service).  I had to wait on hold about an hour every call, but the information I was able to get was very helpful in getting my application corrected in a reasonable time.  I had set up my online SSA account so that all notices would be sent electronically.  I don't advise doing that because I never got any electronic or mailed notices from SSA.  I have since switched back to receiving both mailed and electronic delivery of future notices.  I finally got some mailed notices but still never got electronic notices.

I am also extremely disappointed at the quality of service from FBU Manila.  When I sent them an e-mail with 3 questions I received an answer somewhat related to the first question but it wouldn't solve the problem or add any clarity.  The other two questions were ignored.

FBU Manila made a really obvious error when they completed my benefits application after a phone consultation.  If they had bothered to send me a copy of the application for review, I would have caught the error.  I don't know how many months delay their error caused but I finally got paid 8 months after they submitted the erroneous application.

No, no access to my account. I even use a VPN with a stateside server in my hometown and I am denied access. I doubt my account would show any specifics anyway....

Manilla sent me documents a couple of months ago. They required a password to open the PDFs. That password came in a second  email seconds after the email with the PDFs. I used the password for a week or two, then the password no longer worked. I now have no access to these documents (they cannot be saved; next time I'll take screenshots).

Yesterday I received another email with more locked PDFs. The password never came. I have no access to these documents, either. Don't even know what they are. I have emailed Manilla twice, notifying them I do not have any password. No response.

I am now in contact with my US Senator.

I'm guessing if the SSA sent a notice to the people working in the Manilla office stating their salaries had been overpaid, but not explaining how or why or when, then withheld pay for two months, then underpaid subsequent paychecks without explanation, and did not respond to any inquiries, the people working in Manilla would be <deleted>, financially desperate, and raising he!! about being treated in such manner.

No empathy in this world anymore.

Edited by Reposed

So AE in the Manilla SSA office sent me a password to open the documents they sent me yesterday. The password was supposed to be auto-generated by their system. It was not.

In the email, I was told if the password would not work, that I needed to contact an "expert" to open them.

Really? An "expert" in Thailand can crack a 13 digit randomly selected password and open SSA confidential documents.

Just wow.....

12 hours ago, Reposed said:

No, no access to my account. I even use a VPN with a stateside server in my hometown and I am denied access. I doubt my account would show any specifics anyway....

Just to be sure....

You do have an online SSA account set up?

I have never required a VPN to access my online SSA account.  If it works for me then it is very unlikely that you need a VPN.  If you know how to take a screenshot then capture one at the point your attempt to access ssa.gov is rejected.

The SSA website will show the details of your last payment but only the net payment sent for previous months without details.

I have a friend who also moved to Thailand from USA.  He also could not login to his account from Thailand.  It turns out the problem was his internet service provider (ISP).  He switched to a different service and his problem disappeared.  If you want help diagnosing your connection problem, send me a direct message.  In the meantime try to access your SSA account from your smartphone as that will be routed through a different ISP than your desktop.

If you know how, open a command line window and enter the command 'ping ssa.gov' to see if you can access it.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thanks 1

Manilla sent me documents a couple of months ago. They required a password to open the PDFs. That password came in a second  email seconds after the email with the PDFs. I used the password for a week or two, then the password no longer worked. I now have no access to these documents (they cannot be saved; next time I'll take screenshots).

If you use a Mac, you can save the documents so that you can subsequently open them without needing a password.  It may also work on Windows, but I can't test it because I don't have any locked PDF's.  To remove the password , open the PDF with the Chrome browser and unlock using the password.  Then print the document and choose the option to 'Save as PDF'.  The new PDF won't be locked.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

Just to be sure....

You do have an online SSA account set up?

I have never required a VPN to access my online SSA account.  If it works for me then it is very unlikely that you need a VPN.  If you know how to take a screenshot then capture one at the point your attempt to access ssa.gov is rejected.

The SSA website will show the details of your last payment but only the net payment sent for previous months without details.

I have a friend who also moved to Thailand from USA.  He also could not login to his account from Thailand.  It turns out the problem was his internet service provider (ISP).  He switched to a different service and his problem disappeared.  If you want help diagnosing your connection problem, send me a direct message.  In the meantime try to access your SSA account from your smartphone as that will be routed through a different ISP than your desktop.

If you know how, open a command line window and enter the command 'ping ssa.gov' to see if you can access it.

I've tried numerous times to access my SSA account, from various locations in LOS (so different providers), with and without the VPN. Always denied.

I have the same problem with another government agency. They actually confirmed no VPNs allowed, and no international access, period. 

Besides, the information I really need will not be on there. 

But thanks, I appreciate your help.

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

If you use a Mac, you can save the documents so that you can subsequently open them without needing a password.  It may also work on Windows, but I can't test it because I don't have any locked PDF's.  To remove the password , open the PDF with the Chrome browser and unlock using the password.  Then print the document and choose the option to 'Save as PDF'.  The new PDF won't be locked.

I have a response from my senator today. I'm going to let them take it from here. Not having access to my documents, and Manilla refusing to assist, only makes my case stronger.

I am basically computer illiterate, and Manilla should not be putting the onus on me to figure a way to open these docs.

Again, thanks very much for your input.

10 hours ago, Reposed said:

I've tried numerous times to access my SSA account, from various locations in LOS (so different providers), with and without the VPN. Always denied.

I have the same problem with another government agency. They actually confirmed no VPNs allowed, and no international access, period. 

Besides, the information I really need will not be on there. 

But thanks, I appreciate your help.

It's probably a problem on "your" end.  I seriously doubt the SSA web site is blocking you from reaching their website to include their My Social Security login page....but it could very well be your Thai Internet Service Provider (ISP) causing the problem when not using a VPN connection. 

I'm still unclear if you already have a "My Social Security" online acct...that is, you have already have a User ID & Password and have logged-in before.   OR, you mean you have tried to create a My Social Security online acct but now get a Denied when trying to create a My Social Security online acct. 

Now if you mean you are reaching the SSA webpage but a "denied"  occurs after you enter your User ID and password (i..e, you already have an online acct), well, that means you have been locked out of your SSA My Social Security acct which is usually caused by too many attempts to login with the wrong login credentials....usually incorrect password use....and then the SSA will lockout/deny logon.  But a person could still reach the login page to try again but each attempt to logon would be greeted with a Denied after entering your User ID and password.

About a half dozen years ago when I was still with True internet for about 6 month period I could not reach certain U.S. govt websites like the SSA for about 6 months "unless I used a VPN connection."   Others in Thailand were having the same problem. Then that problem just went away and I could reach the SSA website with or without VPN from Thailand. 

I've switched to AIS Fibre internet years back and have never had a problem in connecting to a U.S. govt website, to include the SSA My Social Security website for both the wife and I.   I almost always use a VPN U.S. server connection to access most U.S. govt websites simply to add a little more security to my connection.   I logon to around a half dozen different U.S. govt websites like the SSA, IRS, DFAS, VA, OPM, and more., and I can access them with or without a VPN. 

Additionally, now days there are three ways to login to your SSA My Social Account....either by direct logon, thru/by Login.gov portal, or thru/by ID.Me portal.   I can reach all of these with or without VPN from Thailand.

If you want to provide a link to that U.S. govt website that you said does not allow a VPN connections I could see if I could reach that website with and without a VPN connection.  Heck, I may already use the website. My result might help you determine if the problem is on your end or not.

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 7:39 PM, gamb00ler said:

When my wife applied for here SSA pension X-years ago thru Manila a similar thing happened....I hand-walked her thru the application with emails, calls, etc.    Some preliminary info was provided to Manila via email (basic personal info like SSN, name, date of birth, etc) and a telephone interview was setup....I think it was in late July.  During the telephone interview Manila asks various questions and collects more info as they are basically filling out an online submission which they will forward/submit to HQ SSA in Baltimore for final processing/approval. 

One of the questions asked is when do your want your benefits to start...or said another way the Benefits Begin month.  The rep was told 1 Oct...and told that date again during the interview....and the rep read back a 1 Oct start date.  The wife and I stress several times during the interview she wanted a 1 Oct Benefits Begin date....the rep said no problem....that is the date being used.

The wife and I now setback and wait for approval...she has an My Social Security Online acct to monitor that process.  Approval appeared in about a month, but the amount was about $35 lower that originally estimated during the telephone interview.  Then about a week later in mid month a month's worth of payment arrived and just a few weeks later another full month payment.  Her My SS acct show it was payments for June and July....back payments to catch up for a 1 June Benefits Begin date 

I got on the phone with HQ SSA for the wife to say, Hey, why did her benefits start from 1 June....she wanted 1 Oct and that is what Manila to told and confirmed they were submitting to Baltimore.   That call and several more along with email correspondence to Baltimore and Manila over the next week started a process where the SSA placed further payments on-hold for a few months and  "recalled the June and July payments" thru Bangkok Bank which Bangkok Bank did send back promptly after Bangkok Bank had the wife sign some paperwork acknowledging the recall.   Baltimore and Manila said the two  payments had to be fully recovered before correction of the Benefits Begin date could begin within their IT system and the correct payment to start.  Basically their IT system would not allow correction until the overpayment was cleared.

Well, to make a long story short, after the funds were recalled it took another 4  or so months---and LOTS of calls and emails to Baltimore and Manila SSA offices--to get things straightened out....get the correct payment going based on the requested 1 Oct Benefits Begin date.    And Manila admitted in an email to the wife that the rep had made a typo on the Benefits Begin date...entered 1 June instead of 1 October as requested.  Although it was Manila that made the mistake it was Baltimore who had to make the correction as Manila is just a middle man/bucket of water passer for many social security tasks.  Seemingly a small typo to the casual observer but correcting the date from 1 Jun to 1 Oct turned out to be very hard thing to do within the SSA computer system based on system safeguards/rules/polices/etc....call it a herculean task almost.   I won't bore you with what SSA had to do to make the correction in their system but it was not easy (or quick) to do.   

Now a few years earlier when I applied for SS thru Manila thru Manila it went without a hitch....thank goodness the Manila rep didn't make any typos.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pib said:

And Manila admitted in an email to the wife that the rep had made a typo on the Benefits Begin date...entered 1 June instead of 1 October as requested.  Although it was Manila that made the mistake it was Baltimore who had to make the correction as Manila is just a middle man/bucket of water passer for many social security tasks.  Seemingly a small typo to the casual observer but correcting the date from 1 Jun to 1 Oct turned out to be very hard thing to do within the SSA computer system based on system safeguards/rules/polices/etc....call it a herculean task almost. 

Exactly my problem.....Manila put the wrong benefit start date on the application they filed on my behalf.  My eligibility started on May 1 but the poorly trained Manila FBU staff member somehow figured that a better start date would be Dec 1 of the previous year.  As in your case, I knew exactly what start date was appropriate.  The only difference is that Manila NEVER admitted it was their error.

If I hadn't frequently pestered the SSA staff at the telephone support number I probably would still be waiting ???? with no explanation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pib said:

It's probably a problem on "your" end.  I seriously doubt the SSA web site is blocking you from reaching their website to include their My Social Security login page....but it could very well be your Thai Internet Service Provider (ISP) causing the problem when not using a VPN connection. 

I'm still unclear if you already have a "My Social Security" online acct...that is, you have already have a User ID & Password and have logged-in before.   OR, you mean you have tried to create a My Social Security online acct but now get a Denied when trying to create a My Social Security online acct. 

Now if you mean you are reaching the SSA webpage but a "denied"  occurs after you enter your User ID and password (i..e, you already have an online acct), well, that means you have been locked out of your SSA My Social Security acct which is usually caused by too many attempts to login with the wrong login credentials....usually incorrect password use....and then the SSA will lockout/deny logon.  But a person could still reach the login page to try again but each attempt to logon would be greeted with a Denied after entering your User ID and password.

About a half dozen years ago when I was still with True internet for about 6 month period I could not reach certain U.S. govt websites like the SSA for about 6 months "unless I used a VPN connection."   Others in Thailand were having the same problem. Then that problem just went away and I could reach the SSA website with or without VPN from Thailand. 

I've switched to AIS Fibre internet years back and have never had a problem in connecting to a U.S. govt website, to include the SSA My Social Security website for both the wife and I.   I almost always use a VPN U.S. server connection to access most U.S. govt websites simply to add a little more security to my connection.   I logon to around a half dozen different U.S. govt websites like the SSA, IRS, DFAS, VA, OPM, and more., and I can access them with or without a VPN. 

Additionally, now days there are three ways to login to your SSA My Social Account....either by direct logon, thru/by Login.gov portal, or thru/by ID.Me portal.   I can reach all of these with or without VPN from Thailand.

If you want to provide a link to that U.S. govt website that you said does not allow a VPN connections I could see if I could reach that website with and without a VPN connection.  Heck, I may already use the website. My result might help you determine if the problem is on your end or not.

I've had the account for 4 years. Does not say anything about too many attempts, only says DENIED. User name and password is in my computer, so no typos there.

Nothing on there anyway. I want to know what amount they are sending. Not what amount my benefit is. I also want to know how much the alleged overpayment was. They never told me.

Manilla is clownish. I won't deal with them any further. Eventually, I'll probably go back to my US financial institution, and transfer through Wise every quarter. That way I know what the SSA is depositing.

My US senator is now taking over. Used him once before for my wife's visa, and the response was less than 24 hours. We'll see......

9 hours ago, Pib said:

I got on the phone with HQ SSA for the wife to say, Hey, why did her benefits start from 1 June....she wanted 1 Oct and that is what Manila to told and confirmed they were submitting to Baltimore. 

Exactly why I go to extremes never to use the phone. Emails are a great record. I have forwarded all the emails between Manilla and me to my senator. Including the lack of responses to my questions and their telling me to hire an expert to open the documents they sent me.

35 minutes ago, Reposed said:

I've had the account for 4 years. Does not say anything about too many attempts, only says DENIED. User name and password is in my computer, so no typos there.

Nothing on there anyway. I want to know what amount they are sending. Not what amount my benefit is. I also want to know how much the alleged overpayment was. They never told me.

Does it say Denied "after" reaching the login webpage and entering the User ID and password?   Or do you get a Denied when just trying to reach the login page?  I'm still not clear on that.   

But if you can reach the login webpage to enter you User ID and Password and then it says Denied, then that means the SSA has locked you out of your account because of too many incorrect password entries (regardless of the password--right or wrong password being in your computer).   Now if you get the Denied when just trying to reach the login page (before you enter your User ID & Password)  then that's a problem on your end...possibly your Thai ISP blocking the SSA webpage or just something wrong with your computer....maybe try clearing your browser data/cache/cookies when sometimes clears problems.

Your online acct shows gross, net, and overpayment amounts.   The net and overpayment amounts are shown in  the Benefits and Payments area going back 24 months....and the gross payment and all deductions like any taxes/Medicare deductions are also shown in the Benefits and Payments area.   The gross amount is also shown in the Benefits Details area.    I just logged onto my acct and looked to confirm above mentioned info regarding what an online acct shows.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Does it say Denied "after" reaching the login webpage and entering the User ID and password?   Or do you get a Denied when just trying to reach the login page?  I'm still not clear on that.   

But if you can reach the login webpage to enter you User ID and Password and then it says Denied, then that means the SSA has locked you out of your account because of too many incorrect password entries (regardless of the password--right or wrong password being in your computer).   Now if you get the Denied when just trying to reach the login page (before you enter your User ID & Password)  then that's a problem on your end...possibly your Thai ISP blocking the SSA webpage or just something wrong with your computer....maybe try clearing your browser data/cache/cookies when sometimes clears problems.

Your online acct shows gross, net, and overpayment amounts.   The net and overpayment amounts are shown in  the Benefits and Payments area going back 24 months....and the gross payment and all deductions like any taxes/Medicare deductions are also shown in the Benefits and Payments area.   The gross amount is also shown in the Benefits Details area.    I just logged onto my acct and looked to confirm above mentioned info regarding what an online acct shows.

This time it accepted user name and password then required confirmation through email. Email on file correct. They advised code was good for 10 minutes. Never came.

Tried twice more; never sent code.

Truly pathetic. Do not have this problem with any other site, using same procedures.

Hope NORAD does not use this same software....

Well, mine does not appear.

Do you think me so stupid I don't know my own email address? It is the same one used to contact Manilla. And my senator. And my family and friends.

Mods, feel free to close.

This time it accepted user name and password then required confirmation through email. Email on file correct. They advised code was good for 10 minutes. Never came.

Tried twice more; never sent code.

Truly pathetic. Do not have this problem with any other site, using same procedures.

Hope NORAD does not use this same software....

I've had the same problem with codes coming SLOW, but I've never had one not come. 

They say (as I recall)  "within 2 minutes"........and I know the codes are only good for 10 minutes............. so I've found myself fretting as 6....7.....8 minutes go by. And sometimes they've come AFTER 10 minutes and are now no good, so I have to do it again.

But I've never had them NOT come. 

Hmmm.

It can depend on your email setup....how often your inbox refreshes itself to show new email. 

Even if the the email is immediately sent if a person's email inbox is only refreshing "automatically" say every 5 minutes it could be up to 5 minutes before you see the email in your inbox if the last auto refresh occur just before the email was sent.  In such a case a person should do a manual refresh which forces your inbox to download/show any emails which arrived after the last refresh.

Many different email services & software which can be setup differently in how quickly they show an email.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 9:19 AM, Reposed said:

So, you are stating that if I have my social security sent to Bangkok Bank NY ending up in Thailand - this incurs a us50 fee? Monthly?

Can you and others please confirm? That sounds absolutely criminal.