Four-day holiday with two official events to be observed in Thailand, starting from Friday, Alcohol sales ban on Sunday

webfact

If we didn't have Stone Age myth and superstition, how empty our lives---and maybe even our museums and art galleries---would be! Heck, we'd barely get any holidays. Maybe we'd celebrate James Clerk Maxwell's birthday, but that pales in comparison to the really big holidays.

So much damage has been done to deities by science, or rather, science spoils all the fun and is continually removing powers from gods, leaving them with little more than a couple of cheap parlor tricks.

Then again, if one chooses willful ignorance, deities can take back center stage.

No insult intended to other belief systems, but I think the Hindus have done it best. With around 3-4 million recognized deities, odds are at least 10,000 of them are celebrating a birthday on any given day, so finding a ceremony or party anytime is pretty easy.

Take THAT, science!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

The authorities right to virtue signal and display their control over the population.

Why do you call everything that you do not believe in or understand when it comes to Culture and laws in Thailand Virtue Signaling, do you do that in your own country if you disagree.  Just agree to disagree with rules and regulations but to say its about virtue is ridiculous.  Holidays in Thailand are not the same as elsewhere and they have symbolic meaning as far as cultural aspects go.  True alcohol being banned is an issue for those that come from places where alcohol is available all of the time, yet certain religions in the US and around the world have rules against alcohol, just like they do in Dubai.  Do you call those Virtue Signaling....time to move on and ignore the rhetoric...

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

And this obviously upsets you. Why?

The fact that people will be drinking does not upset me at all. By the way I will be one of them. You wrongly assume that I'm "obviouly upset". What irks me is religion dictating peple's freedom on a particular day when drinking alcohol on said particular day will be wide spread across the entire nation.

Edited by dinsdale

51 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I understand it perfectly well thanks. Those in power are extreme hypocrites. They lecture about morality while partaking in incredible levels of corruption. They pretend to be virtuous while drinking and 'partying' in Hiso 'hostess' clubs in ThongLor. The levels of sanctimony are staggering. They want the population to believe that they have the moral high ground while acting like degenerates behind the scenes.

Even if we ignore the fact that history shows us that the mixing of religion and the state rarely ends well, the act of treating citizens like children and 'banning' alcohol in the name of their preferred choice of religion while having members of government that are convicted drug dealers doesn't sit well with me. It is virtue signalling. Hypocrisy. Sanctimony. They cannot help themselves, they are supercilious in the extreme.

The fact that you voice your support for it (in the name of 'respecting the culture') strongly suggests to me that you are doing the same thing, albeit from a slightly different angle.

Your hilarious and is why I will no longer partake in any discussions with you on certain subjects as you never will agree to disagree. You stand on your own moral ground and ignore the way the world truly is, that in itself will get you very far in this world, not,....bowing your back always ends up with negative results. For me Karma is how I look at the situation from a Buddhist standpoint, or even a Christian view of turning the other cheek... 

Belief systems are a way of life, like my Mormon friend has discussed. If you do not believe on religion just don't partake in discussions if you have so much hatred for that secular group.

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I understand it perfectly well thanks. Those in power are extreme hypocrites. They lecture about morality while partaking in incredible levels of corruption. They pretend to be virtuous while drinking and 'partying' in Hiso 'hostess' clubs in ThongLor. The levels of sanctimony are staggering. They want the population to believe that they have the moral high ground while acting like degenerates behind the scenes.

Even if we ignore the fact that history shows us that the mixing of religion and the state rarely ends well, the act of treating citizens like children and 'banning' alcohol in the name of their preferred choice of religion while having members of government that are convicted drug dealers doesn't sit well with me. It is virtue signalling. Hypocrisy. Sanctimony. They cannot help themselves, they are supercilious in the extreme.

The fact that you voice your support for it (in the name of 'respecting the culture') strongly suggests to me that you are doing the same thing, albeit from a slightly different angle.

Reminds me of Animal Farm

29 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your hilarious and is why I will no longer partake in any discussions with you on certain subjects as you never will agree to disagree. You stand on your own moral ground and ignore the way the world truly is, that in itself will get you very far in this world, not,....bowing your back always ends up with negative results. For me Karma is how I look at the situation from a Buddhist standpoint, or even a Christian view of turning the other cheek... 

Belief systems are a way of life, like my Mormon friend has discussed. If you do not believe on religion just don't partake in discussions if you have so much hatred for that secular group.

I guess the problem here is if you don't believe in any particular religion (of course buddhism is a 'philosophy', not an organised religion) being forced to comply is somewhat dictatorial. Please endulge me as I return to my earlier post. Thais all over Thailand will be consuming plenty of alcohol Sunday. In the villages you will be able to purchase alcohol. Members of the govt. will be drinking. Police will be drinking. Members of the armed forces will be drinking. Teachers will be drinking etc. etc. The whole thing is anachranistic as is religion as a whole. IMO.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

That's a weak straw man. I don't know which secular group you think I hate, but I have no issue with secular or non-secular groups (although I dislike the way certain groups use such groups for their own ends), and I especially have no issue with Buddhism, quite the opposite in fact. What I DO dislike are corrupt, self righteous Army Generals or Politicians who have (in the current case) illegally stolen power from a democratically elected government preaching morality to the populace in the name of their religion of choice, when they themselves are breaking virtually every moral code known to man. Big difference.

It's not the fact that they ban alcohol either. If they banned meat, cigarettes (I quit years ago), sexual activity or whatever else they thought made them look morally superior then I would hold the same viewpoint. It's none of their business whether I (or anyone else) follows their chosen religious beliefs and practices on their chosen days. 

By the way I'd appreciate it if you do not deliberately misrepresent my position again. It's very unbecoming. 

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I guess the problem here is if you don't believe in any particular religion (of course buddhism is a 'philosophy', not an organised religion) being forced to comply is somewhat dictatorial. Please endulge me as I return to my earlier post. Thais all over Thailand will be consuming plenty of alcohol Sunday. In the villages you will be able to purchase alcohol. Members of the govt. will be drinking. Police will be drinking. Members of the armed forces will be drinking. Teachers will be drinking etc. etc. The whole thing is anachranistic as is religion as a whole. IMO.

The issue is that many Thais claim to be Buddhist, but in reality only use certain portions of their religion to try and enrich themselves, the same does go for the government as well.  Buddhism here, the way it is viewed and embraced is far from the true Buddhism in the rest of the world.  Never have I seen people flock to become Monks when they have done something bad in an attempt to absolve themselves.  In the US it used to be that people were sent into the military to atone for there transgressions and be given a new lease on life.  Here Buddhism is seen as a salvation and a money making opportunity. 

Hypocrisy is the word that should be used and not the word used by the individual I responded to.  Karma is what I believe in and what happens to those type of people.  Bowing your back makes one just as egregious in their beliefs as well.  I do not support this government or their way of life, but I don't cast stones against a belief system like others do.  Village life outside of the cities has always gone on regardless of the day, time or year, and we all know that.  Plenty of parties will be held this weekend in the villages as they celebrate whatever.  Next weekend it will be another alcohol ban as it is election weekend.  I do think the alcohol laws are a little out of whack but I chose to live here and so I abide by the rules the best I can.  No living here has not changed my belief system or morals, but it has taught me to respect those of others.

24 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

That's a weak straw man. I don't know which secular group you think I hate, but I have no issue with secular or non-secular groups (although I dislike the way certain groups use such groups for their own ends), and I especially have no issue with Buddhism, quite the opposite in fact. What I DO dislike are corrupt, self righteous Army Generals or Politicians who have (in the current case) illegally stolen power from a democratically elected government preaching morality to the populace in the name of their religion of choice, when they themselves are breaking virtually every moral code known to man. Big difference.

It's not the fact that they ban alcohol either. If they banned meat, cigarettes (I quit years ago), sexual activity or whatever else they thought made them look morally superior then I would hold the same viewpoint. It's none of their business whether I (or anyone else) follows their chosen religious beliefs and practices on their chosen days. 

By the way I'd appreciate it if you do not deliberately misrepresent my position again. It's very unbecoming. 

Then the word you should use is Hypocrisy, not virtue signaling.  By the way show me where i misrepresented your position.  Holiday events here are different here and observed with certain rules and regulations.  The alcohol ban is not just from this government as it has been around for a very long time.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Like Easter Bank Holidays.

And Easter!

Give you a clue as you seem unsure of what you are talking about. This is Thailand and the subject matter has nothing to do  with other countries so unless you have something worth contributing I would seriously suggest you put "location" on your phone or pc so that you know where you actually are ????

31 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Then the word you should use is Hypocrisy, not virtue signaling.  By the way show me where i misrepresented your position.  Holiday events here are different here and observed with certain rules and regulations.  The alcohol ban is not just from this government as it has been around for a very long time.

Thanks for the suggestion re. my choice of words but unfortunately if you re-read my posts you will see I used both hypocrisy and virtue signaling. IMO they are guilty of both, and much more besides.

You misrepresented my position by saying "If you do not believe on religion just don't partake in discussions if you have so much hatred for that secular group." That obviously implies that I do not believe in (the word you should have used is 'in' not 'on') religion and that I have hatred for a secular group. Neither is true, hence you misrepresented my position.

49 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Thanks for the suggestion re. my choice of words but unfortunately if you re-read my posts you will see I used both hypocrisy and virtue signaling. IMO they are guilty of both, and much more besides.

You misrepresented my position by saying "If you do not believe on religion just don't partake in discussions if you have so much hatred for that secular group." That obviously implies that I do not believe in (the word you should have used is 'in' not 'on') religion and that I have hatred for a secular group. Neither is true, hence you misrepresented my position.

Not going to argue your own hypocrisy with you, but you should re-read your post I initially responded to and see where you alluded to religion in it, maybe innocently but you still did. Enjoy your day, I am enjoying my Holiday.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The issue is that many Thais claim to be Buddhist, but in reality only use certain portions of their religion to try and enrich themselves, the same does go for the government as well.  Buddhism here, the way it is viewed and embraced is far from the true Buddhism in the rest of the world.  Never have I seen people flock to become Monks when they have done something bad in an attempt to absolve themselves.  In the US it used to be that people were sent into the military to atone for there transgressions and be given a new lease on life.  Here Buddhism is seen as a salvation and a money making opportunity. 

Hypocrisy is the word that should be used and not the word used by the individual I responded to.  Karma is what I believe in and what happens to those type of people.  Bowing your back makes one just as egregious in their beliefs as well.  I do not support this government or their way of life, but I don't cast stones against a belief system like others do.  Village life outside of the cities has always gone on regardless of the day, time or year, and we all know that.  Plenty of parties will be held this weekend in the villages as they celebrate whatever.  Next weekend it will be another alcohol ban as it is election weekend.  I do think the alcohol laws are a little out of whack but I chose to live here and so I abide by the rules the best I can.  No living here has not changed my belief system or morals, but it has taught me to respect those of others.

Sorry mate but all so-called religious people are hypocrites. They absolve themselves one way or another through their beliefs but they are still hypocrites. I have no problem with values. These should be taught by the family and the education system. They shouldn't be forced on people by organised religion. I abide by laws but the only law, if that's what it is, for Sunday is you cannot purchase alcohol. It really is rediculous as is the ban for upcoming elections. It just defies belief. People still drink. Probably more than they usually would because they bought so much the day before. I live here too as do some 70 million Thai people. How many of them do you think, think this is complete BS?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

Sunday is Visakha Bucha hence the alcohol ban

Same holiday on Sunday here in Cambodia, known as Vesak Bochea Day, the big difference being the availability of alcohol in bars, restaurants and night clubs etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not going to argue your own hypocrisy with you, but you should re-read your post I initially responded to and see where you alluded to religion in it, maybe innocently but you still did. Enjoy your day, I am enjoying my Holiday.

Yes it's probably best not to argue with me, since I will continue to insist that you argue against my actual position, rather than a false position that you have either imagined or deliberately created.

Enjoy your holiday.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Excel said:

oodles upon oodles of b****sh*t

It is they belief's  not ours, I people who on a Sunday morning ,put on they best cloths go to some building that could well be a good few hundred years old ,listen to a guy in a dog collar spouting on about some guy 2000 plus years ago changed water in to wine ,made the cripples walk ,and some one else who made the world in 6 days ,then had a day off.

If this is not BS I do not know what is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

It is they belief's  not ours, I people who on a Sunday morning ,put on they best cloths go to some building that could well be a good few hundred years old ,listen to a guy in a dog collar spouting on about some guy 2000 plus years ago changed water in to wine ,made the cripples walk ,and some one else who made the world in 6 days ,then had a day off.

If this is not BS I do not know what is. 

I am not disagreeing with what you said but this is a thread about Thailand and as the headline states, alcohol sales on 2 particular days nothing else. If you want to discuss other superstitious nonsense in other countries then why not  start a new thread in the relevant forum, should be fun and would no doubt flush out other believers that they live on a flat world

1 minute ago, Excel said:

I am not disagreeing with what you said but this is a thread about Thailand and as the headline states, alcohol sales on 2 particular days nothing else. If you want to discuss other superstitious nonsense in other countries then why not  start a new thread in the relevant forum, should be fun and would no doubt flush out other believers that they live on a flat world

Its a flat world?  you dont mean flat and round like a pizza now do you.  I love flat crust pizza, especially with a beer or two which I now can not buy this sunday.... ????

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Its a flat world?  you dont mean flat and round like a pizza now do you.  I love flat crust pizza, especially with a beer or two which I now can not buy this sunday.... ????

Where can't you buy a Pizza this Sunday, don't say the Thai monks have monopolised that also ? and bottled beer is on sale except Sunday so pop it in your fridge and enjoy Sunday.