Expired Thai Passport

Seen this before somewhere however just checking current requirements.

Planning to come back to Thailand in August sometime, I will be on a 60 day tourist visa (Aussie with Aus passport), my wife (Thai) will be leaving Australia on her Aus passport, but entering Thailand on her expired Thai passport of which we planning to get new while in Thailand.

Then on leaving she would exit on her new Thai passport and re-enter Australia on her Australia Passport.

This all seem legit etc....??

I replied to a similar query on a different thread a few weeks ago. Son, daughter and daughters boyfriend all entered on expired Thai passports. All taken away to a waiting area. Son and dughter both had valid Thai ID cards and were allowed in. The boyfriend left Thailand when he was 12 and did not have an ID card. Immigration had to call his father and have a copy of the tabienbahn sent to Immibration at the airport. Then he was allowed in. Delay of about 40 mins. So if your wifes ID card has expired, be prepared for difficulties.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, dddave said:

Any chance she can get a temporary travel document from the Thai consulate or embassy?

She doesn’t need one.

The Ops Wife exits Australia under her Australian Passport, as she would at any time. 

The Ops Wife entered Thailand under her Thai Passport, as she would at any time (its expired but she can’t be refused entry).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BlueScouse said:

I replied to a similar query on a different thread a few weeks ago. Son, daughter and daughters boyfriend all entered on expired Thai passports. All taken away to a waiting area. Son and dughter both had valid Thai ID cards and were allowed in. The boyfriend left Thailand when he was 12 and did not have an ID card. Immigration had to call his father and have a copy of the tabienbahn sent to Immibration at the airport. Then he was allowed in. Delay of about 40 mins. So if your wifes ID card has expired, be prepared for difficulties.

I should say so!

6 hours ago, bluejets said:

my wife (Thai) will be leaving Australia on her Aus passport, but entering Thailand on her expired Thai passport

Yep

6 hours ago, bluejets said:

Then on leaving she would exit on her new Thai passport and re-enter Australia on her Australia Passport

Yep

Typical Aussie, planned to perfection. ????

5 hours ago, BlueScouse said:

Yeah, some members of the immigration police here are like some police folks in other places, they sometimes feel the need to show they are 'in charge of the situation.'   Enter on our Thai passports all the time, and use our 'other' passports as needed.   Occasionally we'll get an immigration officer here ask to see the other passport where all they do is flip through it like they are searching for relevant stamps the way they do in some places in the Middle East (not that it's really relevant considering we're not using that passport to enter Thailand).   

Edited by Heng
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, BlueScouse said:

IO just doing his job. 

Redflags and alarms sound when children travel without parents. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BlueScouse said:

So if your wifes ID card has expired, be prepared for difficulties.

It's her passport that has expired, her ID card is fine but I don't see the connection.

Her ID card currency helped with her expired Thai passport to get her Aussie passport issued as a form of birth identity, but there were other avenues to cover that issue if it came up.

11 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Typical Aussie, planned to perfection. ????

Thanks, one less thing to be concerned about.

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where is the complexity ????

Same thought i had.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You wife can enter Thailand with a expired Thai passport. I see not reason for their being a problem to do it.

Thanks, cheers.

Edited by bluejets

On 5/13/2022 at 12:27 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Legit but complex. Good luck.

Leaving aside the issue of the passport being expired why is it complex.

My wife and daughter have been doing the same for years as their Australian passports allow entry to many countries without the need for visas.

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

Leaving aside the issue of the passport being expired why is it complex.

My wife and daughter have been doing the same for years as their Australian passports allow entry to many countries without the need for visas.

Yes passports allow people to travel but out of date documents, out of date passports can cause issues. I always travel with an up to date passport with sufficient  pages.

On 5/13/2022 at 1:00 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Where is the complexity ????

It involves entering on out of date passport and leaving on a different  passport- travelling apparently  using  different  nation passports - that's what I classify as complex. The opposite  of complex would be to travel on a current  passport for both entry and exit.

If they're still requiring ThaiPass then, would you need to get one for the Wife's Australian or Thai passport?

Departing Australia, the airlines presumably would check that she has valid documents to enter Thailand, otherwise they'd be on the hook should she be refused entry? Would they accept the expired Thai passport, Thai IOs would, but would the airline? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, digbeth said:

If they're still requiring ThaiPass then, would you need to get one for the Wife's Australian or Thai passport?

At least based on my daughter's experience the last time she came here, you can't apply for a Thailand Pass using an expired Thai passport - the system wouldn't accept it.

50 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Departing Australia, the airlines presumably would check that she has valid documents to enter Thailand, otherwise they'd be on the hook should she be refused entry? Would they accept the expired Thai passport, Thai IOs would, but would the airline? 

They're traveling on a valid Australian passport. 

Why would the airline stop a Thai citizen from boarding the plane and flying to Thailand? 

On 5/13/2022 at 12:27 PM, BlueScouse said:

Doesn't sound dificult at all, very logical and very mechanical.

Delay of 40 minutes, perhaps while tabien bann was found and method of copying sending ironed out. 

We had similar situation in December last year. Discovered wife's Thai passport was expired (was only good for 5 years, now good for 10 years). ThaiPass wouldn't accept expired passport so used US passport. Made quick to the Thai consulate and applied for a new one. She entered on US passport but, in Thailand she went to immigration with both passports and explained situation (father was ill, needed to come straight away) Was given a one year extension on US passport visa. The new Thai passport arrived while I was still in US so I brought it with me and she exited on Thai passport. All good.

13 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

At least based on my daughter's experience the last time she came here, you can't apply for a Thailand Pass using an expired Thai passport - the system wouldn't accept it.

My Thai wife just got approved Thai Pass using her Expire Thai Passport....

No issues.

So my wife is leaving Australia on an Aus passport, no problem there.

Enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport which would appear to be ok given several answers above.

She would need to apply for the Thailand Pass which according to Farang Kiwi, acceptable with expired Thai passport.

(with any luck "Thai Pass" won't exist in August)

No requirement for any visa as she is Thai with a current ID card.

No requirement for any insurance as she is Thai.

She has her international Covid certificate so ok there too.

I do however see a possible problem when she goes to leave Thailand given she would need to show her Aussie passport,

Otherwise the airline would require either proof of an Aussie visa or citizenship if she rocks up to the airline checkin with a new Thai passport.

If she presented her Aussie passport, there is no entry details or stamp but it would be Aussie citizenship proof.

So I'm thinking, leave Thailand on her Aussie passport but as mentioned doesn't have any entry stamp or entry card.

Surely this has been done before and there has to be a clear answer.

Admittedly there are ways around it by going Aussie all the way, but why should she have to apply and pay for visas and the like to go back to her country of birth. 

Perhaps Ferang Kiwi has more detail on their experience.

Edited by bluejets

10 minutes ago, bluejets said:

So my wife is leaving Australia on an Aus passport, no problem there.

Enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport which would appear to be ok given several answers above.

She would need to apply for the Thailand Pass which according to Farang Kiwi, acceptable with expired Thai passport.

(with any luck "Thai Pass" won't exist in August)

No requirement for any visa as she is Thai with a current ID card.

No requirement for any insurance as she is Thai.

She has her international Covid certificate so ok there too.

I do however see a possible problem when she goes to leave Thailand given she would need to show her Aussie passport,

Otherwise the airline would require either proof of an Aussie visa or citizenship if she rocks up to the airline checkin with a new Thai passport.

If she presented her Aussie passport, there is no entry details or stamp but it would be Aussie citizenship proof.

So I'm thinking, leave Thailand on her Aussie passport but as mentioned doesn't have any entry stamp or entry card.

Surely this has been done before and there has to be a clear answer.

Admittedly there are ways around it by going Aussie all the way, but why should she have to apply and pay for visas and the like to go back to her country of birth. 

Perhaps Ferang Kiwi has more detail on their experience.

Yes, lots of Dodgy information here, I don't understand why, maybe some members are bored or want to annoy others but these members are just causing problems.

Depart Thailand (Thai Immigration) Thai passport.

Book flights to Oz using Australian passport

Farang Kiwi sounds like a good source for information. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

8 hours ago, sumongkhwai said:

She entered on US passport but, in Thailand she went to immigration with both passports and explained situation (father was ill, needed to come straight away) Was given a one year extension on US passport visa. The new Thai passport arrived while I was still in US so I brought it with me and she exited on Thai passport. All good.

If she exited on Thai passport, what documents did she produce to get on a plane to the US?

Surely it would be similar for any Thai travelling to Aus where they need to show either visa or citizenship to the country the are flying to.

So did she present her US passport also at departure time?

10 minutes ago, bluejets said:

If she exited on Thai passport, what documents did she produce to get on a plane to the US?

Surely it would be similar for any Thai travelling to Aus where they need to show either visa or citizenship to the country the are flying to.

So did she present her US passport also at departure time?

My son who is dual citizen.

Depart Thailand with Thai passport, Canadian passport is shown at check in to show no Canadian visa is necessary in the Thai passport

Enter Canada with Canadian passport

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It involves entering on out of date passport and leaving on a different  passport- travelling apparently  using  different  nation passports - that's what I classify as complex. The opposite  of complex would be to travel on a current  passport for both entry and exit.

Now you are making a simple process complex.

The OP had the correct post, and most farang/Thai couples use the same method..(doesn't matter if Thai Passport expired or not upon entry, as the person can obtain new passport very quickly before leaving again).

Easy Peasy mate.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You're obviously not a dual citizen, or travel with someone who is.

It's as easy as falling off a log

@bluejets  My wife has been doing what you proposed for years with no problems. This last trip, she entered on an expired Thai passport, got a new one a few weeks later, and will be leaving on that new one in a couple of days. Entering on the old passport and leaving on the new one is fairly common, and won't be a problem.

I think most Thais with dual citizenship enter and leave Thailand on their Thai passport, and enter and leave their home country on the other country's passport. Worst case when leaving Australia, she can show her Thai passport if the airline raises any concern about a visa being required (if her return flight is more than 30 days past her arrival in Thailand).