Expired Thai Passport

30 minutes ago, DrDave said:

@bluejets  My wife has been doing what you proposed for years with no problems. This last trip, she entered on an expired Thai passport, got a new one a few weeks later, and will be leaving on that new one in a couple of days. Entering on the old passport and leaving on the new one is fairly common, and won't be a problem.

I think most Thais with dual citizenship enter and leave Thailand on their Thai passport, and enter and leave their home country on the other country's passport. Worst case when leaving Australia, she can show her Thai passport if the airline raises any concern about a visa being required (if her return flight is more than 30 days past her arrival in Thailand).

Perhaps let us know how she goes this time with "leaving on the new one in a couple of days".

We used to have a Thai consulate in Brisbane which is a couple of hours train/car ride away but they closed it down.

Options are Canberra or Sydney these days for any passport renewal or emergency passport where one must apply in person and the cost in time, travel and acommodation really would make that a rediculous decision.

Would not be popular with the boss if anything went belly up when arriving at passport control in Thailand for any reason especially if we decided to go entry on expired visa and it wasn't allowed on the day.

Anyone married will appreciate that any such stuff up would be considered my doing and would tend to come up in any disagreement for the next 100 years or more. ????

The backup there would be , ok, here is her Aussie passport, next question would be, where is her covid insurance..??

The "safe" option would be to bite the bullet and just pay up for covid insurance, apply and pay for a tourist visa,  for her as well as me.

All up, the tourist visa would be around AUD$60 ........what's the covid insurance cost these days, stay is proped to be around 45 days.? 

An email to the Thai Consulate here in Canberra might help but in past experience, any government reply tends to be unhelpful and based on the first line of the query. ????

10 hours ago, sumongkhwai said:

We had similar situation in December last year. Discovered wife's Thai passport was expired (was only good for 5 years, now good for 10 years). ThaiPass wouldn't accept expired passport so used US passport. Made quick to the Thai consulate and applied for a new one. She entered on US passport but, in Thailand she went to immigration with both passports and explained situation (father was ill, needed to come straight away) Was given a one year extension on US passport visa. The new Thai passport arrived while I was still in US so I brought it with me and she exited on Thai passport. All good.

Wouldn't her US passport be on overstay since she didn't leave the country on The US passport then? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluejets said:

I do however see a possible problem when she goes to leave Thailand given she would need to show her Aussie passport,

Otherwise the airline would require either proof of an Aussie visa or citizenship if she rocks up to the airline checkin with a new Thai passport

You confusing airline check in staff and immigration.

At check in she should show her Australian passport as proof she can enter Australia. They might also ask to see the Thai passport as the Aussie passport won't have a Thai entry stamp.

Going through immigration later she only shows the Thai passport she entered Thailand with.

A couple of years ago while flying to Australia I showed airline staff the passport that allowed me entry to Australia. I don't remember having to show them the Thai passport. Coming back, however, I showed the Australian check in staff the Thai passport and they asked to see the passport I entered Australia with.

At immigration on both sides I only shows the one relevant passport.

Edited by LukKrueng
Typo

10 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

At check in she should show her Australian passport as proof she can enter Australia. They might also ask to see the Thai passport as the Aussie passport won't have a Thai entry stamp.

Going through immigration later she only shows the Thai passport she entered Thailand with.

A couple of years ago while flying to Australia I showed airline staff the passport that allowed me entry to Australia. I don't remember having to show them the Thai passport. Coming back, however, I showed the Australian check in staff the Thai passport and they asked to see the passport I entered Australia with.

At immigration on both sides I only shows the one relevant passport.

Agree 

10 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

At immigration on both sides I only shows the one relevant passport

Yep, keep it simple. 

On 5/13/2022 at 12:27 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Legit but complex. Good luck.

Its not Complex---I have left Thailand on expired UK passports---as long as you are heading directly to the country of origin. There is no problem.

14 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Yes, I was confusing the two, thanks.

14 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

This would now be a new passport with different number, but she still has the old expired one to verify I guess.

Edited by bluejets

7 hours ago, FARANG KIWI said:

My Thai wife just got approved Thai Pass using her Expire Thai Passport....

No issues.

They must have changed how the system works then. My daughter tried (and I tried it on her behalf also) but it just kept saying that her passport had expired and wouldn't go any further.

2 hours ago, bluejets said:

Yes, I was confusing the two, thanks.

This would now be a new passport with different number, but she still has the old expired one to verify I guess.

The passport number makes no difference.

1. The cycle for Thai citizens starts and ends in Thailand.

2. A Thai person who stayed out of Thailand longer than the validity of the passport might get a new passport at the local embassy and when returns to Thailand he would enter on a different passport with me number. The only purpose of a passport is to show one is allowed to travel to his destination

You definitely want to avoid entering on a non Thai passport if you have a Thai passport.   Local imm. is perfectly fine with requiring you to do those 90 day Krakow ghetto type address checks and yearly visas (yes they will collect the fee even when they know you're Thai). 

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

The passport number makes no difference.

It did when she did renewal last time while in Thailand.(back in 2016) then it was only a 5 year passport.

Entered on an existing, due to run out in 9 months so we renewed while in Bangkok.(still only 5 year also back then)

At the time she was on a 309 Aussie visa and the new passport issued caused some delays and running back and forth with phone calls etc.when we checked in for departure back to Aus.

Thing is, it appears, regardless of what some may consider no problem, or they may not have had an issue, unless I can get something concrete with no issues whatsoever, it's more than likely not worth the hastle that might arise.

Better to pay the AUD$100 for a tourist visa and covid insurance and let her go as an Aussie on Aus passport.

Some may say, well why the hell didn't you go that way to begin with....reason...thought, as I say, there may have been concrete advice I could follow.

Thanks to all the people who put their experience forward though, I do appreciate the input.

Cheers Jorgo

7 hours ago, kwonitoy said:
23 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It involves entering on out of date passport and leaving on a different  passport- travelling apparently  using  different  nation passports - that's what I classify as complex. The opposite  of complex would be to travel on a current  passport for both entry and exit.

You're obviously not a dual citizen, or travel with someone who is.

It's as easy as falling off a log

The comment lends one to consider how Hammer gets on in life if he thinks this is complex... 

His yearly visa extension must be quite a harrowing experience !!!... 

As you wrote ‘Kwonitoy’ - an ‘airside passport swap’ is the opposite of anything complex, people do that all the time. We do that with our Son every time we travel to the UK. 

Passport validity is a non-issue, the Ops Wife also has a valid ID card. 

Edited by richard_smith237

2 hours ago, bluejets said:

It did when she did renewal last time while in Thailand.(back in 2016) then it was only a 5 year passport.

Entered on an existing, due to run out in 9 months so we renewed while in Bangkok.(still only 5 year also back then)

At the time she was on a 309 Aussie visa and the new passport issued caused some delays and running back and forth with phone calls etc.when we checked in for departure back to Aus.

Thing is, it appears, regardless of what some may consider no problem, or they may not have had an issue, unless I can get something concrete with no issues whatsoever, it's more than likely not worth the hastle that might arise.

Better to pay the AUD$100 for a tourist visa and covid insurance and let her go as an Aussie on Aus passport.

Some may say, well why the hell didn't you go that way to begin with....reason...thought, as I say, there may have been concrete advice I could follow.

Thanks to all the people who put their experience forward though, I do appreciate the input.

Cheers Jorgo

I guess that her Australian visa or permit were related to the old passport. That's a different story. Same thing here when someone replaces a passport he usually has to get a letter from the embassy and transfer the visa or permit of stay to the new passport. But it has nothing to do with her coming into Thailand with old passport and going out with new. Just as if you lose your Aussie passport while out of Australia and get a new one at the embassy where you visit, you won't have any problems returning to Australia with the new passport.

13 hours ago, bluejets said:

So my wife is leaving Australia on an Aus passport, no problem there.

Enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport which would appear to be ok given several answers above.

She would need to apply for the Thailand Pass which according to Farang Kiwi, acceptable with expired Thai passport.

(with any luck "Thai Pass" won't exist in August)

No requirement for any visa as she is Thai with a current ID card.

No requirement for any insurance as she is Thai.

She has her international Covid certificate so ok there too.

I do however see a possible problem when she goes to leave Thailand given she would need to show her Aussie passport,

Otherwise the airline would require either proof of an Aussie visa or citizenship if she rocks up to the airline checkin with a new Thai passport.

If she presented her Aussie passport, there is no entry details or stamp but it would be Aussie citizenship proof.

So I'm thinking, leave Thailand on her Aussie passport but as mentioned doesn't have any entry stamp or entry card.

Surely this has been done before and there has to be a clear answer.

Admittedly there are ways around it by going Aussie all the way, but why should she have to apply and pay for visas and the like to go back to her country of birth. 

Perhaps Ferang Kiwi has more detail on their experience.

Wife always enters on her Thai passport.

The 'challenge' is that Air Ticket booked in married ( Western ) surname.

So leaving NZ she always has to show her Thai passport to prove NO Visa is required.

Leaves NZ on here Kiwi passport.

Leaving Thailand Qantas has been know to issue Boarding Ticket showing both Surnames!

Shows Thai passport at Customs.

Never had an issue.

On 5/13/2022 at 12:05 PM, ubonjoe said:

You wife can enter Thailand with a expired Thai passport. I see no reason for their being a problem to do it.

Just a query on that ubon. I read this to my wife who's Thai passport has also expired and she is concerned that if she uses her UK passport to leave UK and enter Thailand on Thai passport like OP mentions that when she returns to UK they would fine her for overstaying because her UK passport would be stamped for usual 30 days but she will return in aprox 90 days.

10 hours ago, FARANG KIWI said:

So leaving NZ she always has to show her Thai passport to prove NO Visa is required.

Is that for re-entering New Zealand? i.e. nothing to do with travel destination.

We don't have any "surname" issue as the expired Thai passport and her Aus passport are the same married name.

The difference here is my wife's Thai passport is expired otherwise I would have zero concerns.

Edited by bluejets

2 hours ago, blueeyes said:

Just a query on that ubon. I read this to my wife who's Thai passport has also expired and she is concerned that if she uses her UK passport to leave UK and enter Thailand on Thai passport like OP mentions that when she returns to UK they would fine her for overstaying because her UK passport would be stamped for usual 30 days but she will return in aprox 90 days.

When she enters using her expired Thai passport she will be stamped in as a Thai. Then when  leaving the country she would use her new Thai passport.

Not sure why she would think she would be fined for a overstay since she did not use her UK passport for entry to Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluejets said:

Is that for re-entering New Zealand? i.e. nothing to do with travel destination.

We don't have any "surname" issue as the expired Thai passport and her Aus passport are the same married name.

The difference here is my wife's Thai passport is expired otherwise I would have zero concerns.

No.  Only to show to NZ Airline Check in staff to prove she is Thai ( and NO entry Visa is required ) so not to have to prove \ show an outward-bound Ticket ( from Thailand ) to anywhere!

18 minutes ago, FARANG KIWI said:

No.  Only to show to NZ Airline Check in staff to prove she is Thai ( and NO entry Visa is required ) so not to have to prove \ show an outward-bound Ticket ( from Thailand ) to anywhere!

If you are from NZ, no visa into Thailand for the visa exempt period is required regardless.

Bit confusing what you are doing...??

On 5/13/2022 at 2:20 PM, bluejets said:

This all seem legit etc....??

As others have said, she can enter on an expired Thai passport.

If you are worried, she can always apply for a new one via the Thai embassy in your state, still plenty of time before August, that said, be quicker doing it here and probably much cheaper.

23 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

As others have said, she can enter on an expired Thai passport.

If you are worried, she can always apply for a new one via the Thai embassy in your state, still plenty of time before August, that said, be quicker doing it here and probably much cheaper.

Nope, have to travel to Canberra and do new passport in person.

No Thai Consulate in Qld. as they closed it at beginning of covid.

Currently cost of travel and overnight accomodation in excess of $1000.00, not what I consider "probably much cheaper".

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Or the official Thai consulate in Sydney.

Only the honorary consulate were closed.

Similar costs involved.

Sydney will not issue new passport if the old one is expired.

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/page/89619-thai-passports?menu=5d847cc315e39c21b800619b

Edited by bluejets

23 hours ago, Heng said:

You definitely want to avoid entering on a non Thai passport if you have a Thai passport.   Local imm. is perfectly fine with requiring you to do those 90 day Krakow ghetto type address checks and yearly visas (yes they will collect the fee even when they know you're Thai). 

Based on the info in the OP  they're only coming for a visit of 60 days (or possibly less). So 90 day reports are not an issue.

1 hour ago, bluejets said:

Nope, have to travel to Canberra and do new passport in person.

No Thai Consulate in Qld. as they closed it at beginning of covid.

Currently cost of travel and overnight accomodation in excess of $1000.00, not what I consider "probably much cheaper".

Oh, I see, when I said probably cheaper doing it here, I meant in Thailand.

Usual turn around here is about 7 days and for about 1,000 baht.

1 hour ago, bluejets said:

Sydney will not issue new passport if the old one is expired.

The wording is not that clear. "Applicants must apply for a new passport prior to the expiration of the old passport or when the validity of the passport is less than 6 months."

I think that is meant to be advice and does not mean they will not issue a new passport.

A Google translation of the info in Thai does not say that. See: https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/thaipassport20up

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The wording is not that clear. "Applicants must apply for a new passport prior to the expiration of the old passport or when the validity of the passport is less than 6 months."

I think that is meant to be advice and does not mean they will not issue a new passport.

A Google translation of the info in Thai does not say that. See: https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/thaipassport20up

Agreed... This seems more like ‘advice’ than a rule... 

Here is another translation from the same web-page. 

[A new passport should be issued at least 6 months before the original passport expires. To prevent problems in applying for extension or change of visa Airline refusing to board the plane or the immigration agency of another country refuses to enter the country]

Which stated a new passport ‘should’ be issued at least 6 months before expiry to prevent problems...

There is not statement that a new passport ‘will not’ be issued.... 

Thus: An E-Passport can be applied for.

That said: ALL of this is completely and utterly Moot - the solution is already so very very simple. 

Arrive in Thailand on the expired Thai Passport and apply for a new Thai passport when in Thailand. 

36 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:
On 5/15/2022 at 12:07 PM, Heng said:

Based on the info in the OP  they're only coming for a visit of 60 days (or possibly less). So 90 day reports are not an issue.

That does not give them the flexibility to ‘change plans’ if the wife wishes to stay longer.

Just enter on the expired Thai Passport - the issue is a complete ‘non-issue’ and a no brainer. 

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

When she enters using her expired Thai passport she will be stamped in as a Thai. Then when  leaving the country she would use her new Thai passport.

Not sure why she would think she would be fined for a overstay since she did not use her UK passport for entry to Thailand.

Hi Ubon sorry I did not see your reply and just posted a new one with same query.