Explained: Why Thailand will distribute 1 million cannabis plants to households

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai government has announced plans to distribute a million cannabis plants to households across the nation next month, when most of the legal restrictions on cultivating weed at home will be lifted.

Must be election time... freebies are often distributed.

By the time these 'freebies' get down to Moobahn level for distribution there will be a 'charge' attached or many entitled households simply won't see them. Just like the distribution of the digital TV set-top boxes a few years ago. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

when most of the legal restrictions on cultivating weed at home will be lifted.

I am now totally confused on reading the Full story it says ''can grow-medical grade marijuana for their own personal use, or as part of a small scale commercial enterprise'' (a) I thought you had to give all the heads to the government. (b) Marijuana is a completely different strain of cannabis than low grade THC Hemp. As Usual lets keep it as clear as Mud so we can flip flop the rules to suit. init. ????

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Decriminalizing 0.2% THC. Wow! Thanks. Great idea. Fairly sure this will ruin all those dope cafes in Holland as all the people will flock to Thailand the Land Of Smoking.

I humbly suggest to Dutch junkies to stick with their local cafes and give Thailand a wide berth. Not only will they mightily disappointed, but they also run the risk of jail time when they try sourcing grass that is of comparable quality to what they can get back home.

On the other hand, if your plan is to source cheap fibers for ropes or cloth, please do drop by.

I suspect a sinister plot.

The key term here is "Medical Grade" as defined by the Thai government. If they are distributing a million plants with very low THC content they will effectively degrade the outdoor grown gene pool. Dope growers make money. Rope growers will go broke ????

• Like 2

Not so long ago drugs had the captital punishment here, now they are starting to give 1 million households free cannabis.. Is it really so bad in this country that people are banned from smoking and e cigarettes, use and buy alcohol, but have to get addicted to cannabis now?? Just to prevent that they see what a morons there are in the Government, or to get a feeling of happiness as the Mr P promised??

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

The country’s new rule, which will be enacted on June 9, will permit people to grow cannabis plants at home after informing their local government. However, the cannabis cultivated at home must be of medical grade. Extracted contents will remain illegal if it contains more than 0.2 per cent of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol).

How can the average village Thai, of whom many cannot read or write, be expected to know the difference. Indeed, how do you tell the difference? I am assuming there is a chemical test kit?

I ask because I wish to possibly grow and use it in the future for my arthritis.

How many "average village Thais" do you know?  Bit of a neanderthal yourself making assumptions like that!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Ah! It appears you missed the satirical note of my post. As for people whom partake in the occassional spliff, to label them junkies is a tad on the harsh side. 

I didn't. Hence I posted a satirical reply. LOL ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Is it really so bad in this country that people are banned from smoking and e cigarettes, use and buy alcohol, but have to get addicted to cannabis now??

Unbelievable nonsense, there is no ban on smoking tobacco-related products or from using or buying alcohol.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Unbelievable nonsense, there is no ban on smoking tobacco-related products or from using or buying alcohol.

Not informerd taht e cigarettes are forbidden? try to buy a beer or wine at 15.00 ....Or in the evening without food...

• Like 2

I see a bunch of replies ,some posters really have no idea what is going on or they

refuse to open their eyes.

A lot of Thai people have been growing their own strain for years and years.

They will not be fooled by the government.

Basically the government is allowing the people to grow hemp,3 plants!!!!Wow!

Hemp is very useful as a for source for many products.

Complete houses can be built of it,well insulated,durable and fire proof.

I have seen large fields planted with this type of hemp,it looks nice and will be great for a selfie.

• Like 1