Explained: Why Thailand will distribute 1 million cannabis plants to households

webfact

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Not so long ago drugs had the captital punishment here, now they are starting to give 1 million households free cannabis.. Is it really so bad in this country that people are banned from smoking and e cigarettes, use and buy alcohol, but have to get addicted to cannabis now?? Just to prevent that they see what a morons there are in the Government, or to get a feeling of happiness as the Mr P promised??

It would appear from your post that you actually have no idea. Well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone really think the police will care if someone is growing weed to get stoned or otherwise. They find it difficult enough to change traffic lights propery let alone with to out the THC content and of a plant. I would bet the test to determine a plants THC content is more than any fine. Give it a few years and joints will be openly sold on Khao San road and the like. Me I am gonna go and order some edibles on Line App for delivery tomorrow.

• Like 1

Just now, jonclark said:

Does anyone really think the police will care if someone is growing weed to get stoned or otherwise. They find it difficult enough to change traffic lights propery let alone with to out the THC content and of a plant. I would bet the test to determine a plants THC content is more than any fine. Give it a few years and joints will be openly sold on Khao San road and the like. Me I am gonna go and order some edibles on Line App for delivery tomorrow.

have to disagree, one of the few things the RTP take seriously is illegal drugs

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

Nobody will get "addicted to cannabis", as you so eloquently put, because the only plant strains permitted must not yield more than 0.2% of THC by dry weight. THC (tetrahydrocannabiol) is the substance that produces the "high".

You cannot get "high" (nor addicted) on such a low THC concentration unless you smoke 5kg of grass in one sitting.

When will it finally sink in with people that the ONLY cannabis strains allowed are what is commonly referred to as "commercial hemp"???? And the ONE AND ONLY thing that commercial hemp is good for is making hemp ropes, linen cloth -- or extracting CBD (cannabidiol), which explicitly is NOT addictive NOR does it make "high".

You are assuming a high degree of compliance by Thai people and a high degree of enforcement by the authorities such as the RTP, well-known for their efficiency. As other posters have pointed out - the "legal" plantations will serve as a cover for the real stuff. Luckily there is no culture of government corruption and incompetence in Thailand, so we can be re-assured.....

• Like 1

Maybe they will include a basic grow guide to teach people how to get rid of the male plants whose job is to create massive amounts of seeds forming on the female buds...hint:  the male plants have small balls that form quickly and if you don't get rid of them will "impregnate" your girls and make your crop much less potent or desirable.

A lot of Thais grow "jungle weed" where they scatter a bunch of seeds in a moist jungle location and come back in 3 months or so to harvest a poor quality crop of buds full of seeds

• Like 1

I assume all the foreigners here are aware that prior to the 1960s weed was part of most family's herb garden as it was often used in soups, stews and Currys for flavourings as well as being smoked. When I first visited Thailand in the early 80s I remember a number of very pleasent train journeys. Whenever the train pulled into a station men would pop into the train with joints and bongs for the passenger. These were mainly for the locals as back then tourism didn't exist in Thailand it was still off the beaten track so to speak. 

Thais have enjoyed smoking weed far longer than their western counterparts. It's part of their culture...where do you think the slogan Land of Smiles came from???

• Like 1

I am wondering if you can see how much THC a plant has.... and the police can't enforce it if it is too much as they don't can enforce the normal rules already... e cigarettes are forbidden , but i know policemen who use them...so  

6 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Nobody will get "addicted to cannabis", as you so eloquently put, because the only plant strains permitted must not yield more than 0.2% of THC by dry weight. THC (tetrahydrocannabiol) is the substance that produces the "high".

You cannot get "high" (nor addicted) on such a low THC concentration unless you smoke 5kg of grass in one sitting.

When will it finally sink in with people that the ONLY cannabis strains allowed are what is commonly referred to as "commercial hemp"???? And the ONE AND ONLY thing that commercial hemp is good for is making hemp ropes, linen cloth -- or extracting CBD (cannabidiol), which explicitly is NOT addictive NOR does it make "high".

No other natural resource offers the potential of hemp. Cannabis Hemp is capable of producing significant quantities of paper, textiles, building materials, food, medicine, paint, detergent, varnish, oil, ink, and fuel.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I am wondering if you can see how much THC a plant has.... and the police can't enforce it if it is too much as they don't can enforce the normal rules already... e cigarettes are forbidden , but i know policemen who use them...so  

Simply put you cannot..natural genetic variation will ensure that some THC will get through if you grow enough plants. If it's cannabis.

It's only the hemp plant that has no natural THC levels. 

• Like 1

For me it is very simple.. I don't care what they want to archive with the hennep plants..It is just that the want to protect the kids and people from everything, no alcohol seen on tv and blurred in movies, as the guns, as also to much of some  bodyparts. They are banning e cigarettes because they don't want the kids to start smoking.. all understandable, but now they promote cannabis plants, for what reason......But the kids know wnat to experiment, as I did when I was younger too, and instead of keeping these plants only for farmers, they promote that you can grow them at home.. I can not make a lot of paper, textile out of 3 plants, and soon they will be replaced by the stronger ones and nobody can control it anymore... That is what will happen and that is why I am concerned, but maybe I am the only one 

Of course we have to rely on an Indian newspaper for details on the regime's cannabis policy.

I don't think anyone really knows what, if anything, will happen on June 9, and after.

I've been following this closely, although not daily, and I still don't understand the regime's intentions. And I don't think any Ministers do either, nor does the pm.

Edited by mtls2005

9 hours ago, pomchop said:

No other natural resource offers the potential of hemp. Cannabis Hemp is capable of producing significant quantities of paper, textiles, building materials, food, medicine, paint, detergent, varnish, oil, ink, and fuel.

"potential"?

Yes, rural folks growing six plants under, at best, varying conditions are going to supply an as yet to be developed, chemical and product processing industry.

Sure.

Drug test on aisle 1.

Makes about as much sense as hemp soap.

This "explanantion" is as totally contradictory as the last one. 

If "cannabis" has been dropped from the list of controlled drugs then thc levels are irrelevant.

They want everyone to grow cannabis but only to sell as restricted to medical use with a thc content of 0.2% ....which is it?

Also medical marijuana is a highly controlled industry this assumption that the 2 plants people grow in their back yard would be even considered for sale to the pharmacuetical industry is ludicrous.

The only people seeing any profit from this will be the usual suspects super rich Thai families who will have a monopoly over the commercial growing and supply of these plants to industry. 

The rest is just smoke and mirrors.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pomchop said:

Maybe they will include a basic grow guide to teach people how to get rid of the male plants whose job is to create massive amounts of seeds forming on the female buds...hint:  the male plants have small balls that form quickly and if you don't get rid of them will "impregnate" your girls and make your crop much less potent or desirable.

A lot of Thais grow "jungle weed" where they scatter a bunch of seeds in a moist jungle location and come back in 3 months or so to harvest a poor quality crop of buds full of seeds

Half asssed pseudo knowledge. Commercial hemp has a low thc level due to the strain of cannabis it is. 

You could grow it hydroponically under perfect conditions and nwver let if get cross pollinated the thc levels would be exactly the same.

16 hours ago, WHansen said:

Very true MisterWhisper.

People are seeing the word Cannabis or weed and are making assumptions that it can get you stoned or addicted at 0.2% THC.

How drunk would you get from a 0.2% beer ? 25 pints would be the same as a normal 5% pint of beer.

A similar amount of intoxication would be achieved from smoking a 0.2% THC joint.

Absolutely nothing to get excited or worried about.

It's because people have been systematically brainwashed since the 1930s. Whenever they hear "cannabis", it conjures ludicrous images of "the weed from hell" that allegedly causes "reefer madness". It's laughable, really, how perceptive people are to propaganda. Then again, very few are actually making an effort and educate themselves to find out that "cannabis" is a whole plant family, the vast majority of the strains being very, very low in THC. Ironically, nobody is going into "anti-cannabis mode" when they are wearing linen shirts -- that is, of course, because they are totally ignorant that linen is actually made from cannabis fibers.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jonclark said:

I assume all the foreigners here are aware that prior to the 1960s weed was part of most family's herb garden as it was often used in soups, stews and Currys for flavourings as well as being smoked. When I first visited Thailand in the early 80s I remember a number of very pleasent train journeys. Whenever the train pulled into a station men would pop into the train with joints and bongs for the passenger. These were mainly for the locals as back then tourism didn't exist in Thailand it was still off the beaten track so to speak. 

Thais have enjoyed smoking weed far longer than their western counterparts. It's part of their culture...where do you think the slogan Land of Smiles came from???

Used to have shops where you could buy all sorts of medicinal herbs including dope.

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

For me it is very simple.. I don't care what they want to archive with the hennep plants..It is just that the want to protect the kids and people from everything, no alcohol seen on tv and blurred in movies, as the guns, as also to much of some  bodyparts. They are banning e cigarettes because they don't want the kids to start smoking.. all understandable, but now they promote cannabis plants, for what reason......But the kids know wnat to experiment, as I did when I was younger too, and instead of keeping these plants only for farmers, they promote that you can grow them at home.. I can not make a lot of paper, textile out of 3 plants, and soon they will be replaced by the stronger ones and nobody can control it anymore... That is what will happen and that is why I am concerned, but maybe I am the only one 

I remember a long time ago an add for an icecream. Very nice looking girl was licking it. The licking bit was pixualated. 

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

It's because people have been systematically brainwashed since the 1930s. Whenever they hear "cannabis", it conjures ludicrous images of "the weed from hell" that allegedly causes "reefer madness". It's laughable, really, how perceptive people are to propaganda. Then again, very few are actually making an effort and educate themselves to find out that "cannabis" is a whole plant family, the vast majority of the strains being very, very low in THC. Ironically, nobody is going into "anti-cannabis mode" when they are wearing linen shirts -- that is, of course, because they are totally ignorant that linen is actually made from cannabis fibers.

Linen fabric is made from the flax plant.

Hemp fabric is made from the hemp plant.

20 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

So what's the point of it all then?

Sorry if asked already but is it legal to bring your own seeds to LOS. I can get as much seeds as i want in Thailand but want different "species". Dont want use much time to grow that one so bring hydrid seeds what only make female plants if its legal to bring yeah dont have legal to grow.

Edited by 2 is 1

On 5/14/2022 at 9:50 AM, ezzra said:

This news is all over the world's publication with all of them scratching their heads as what Thailand is doing with this move, you can grow and cultivate but can not use unless you have a doctor's certificate, does Thailand have the manpower to police what million marijuana owners are doing with their plant?  Yes Thailand, what on earth are thinking?...

Thinking, what's that? 

47 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Sorry if asked already but is it legal to bring your own seeds to LOS. I can get as much seeds as i want in Thailand but want different "species". Dont want use much time to grow that one so bring hydrid seeds what only make female plants if its legal to bring yeah dont have legal to grow.

As I understand things, and I am not a lawyer, it is legal to import seeds (there is a bit of a loophole) currently, but that closes on June 9, 2022.

A lot of thais import and sell both feminized photoperiods and feminized autoflower seeds. Look on Facebook. Quite a few genetics, mostly from Europe. Some uplift as they assume the risk. These would be best grown indoors given the shorter daylight periods here; if grown outdoors then you'll need to supplement the light.

I do not think it would legal for you to either hand-carry seeds back to thailand, or order them for delivery to yourself, but the risk is quite small.

Obviously it is, and will remain, illegal for you to grow these seeds.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

As I understand things, and I am not a lawyer, it is legal to import seeds (there is a bit of a loophole) currently, but that closes on June 9, 2022.

A lot of thais import and sell both feminized photoperiods and feminized autoflower seeds. Look on Facebook. Quite a few genetics, mostly from Europe. Some uplift as they assume the risk. These would be best grown indoors given the shorter daylight periods here; if grown outdoors then you'll need to supplement the light.

I do not think it would legal for you to either hand-carry seeds back to thailand, or order them for delivery to yourself, but the risk is quite small.

Obviously it is, and will remain, illegal for you to grow these seeds.

I have bring lost of other seeds in Thailand. All kind what Mrs. has wanted and she has sell that also. Get huge profit but not a bussiness if only hand carry those from Europe. Most what all has want is radish seeds! 

2 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

I have bring lost of other seeds in Thailand. All kind what Mrs. has wanted and she has sell that also. Get huge profit but not a bussiness if only hand carry those from Europe. Most what all has want is radish seeds! 

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that you need an import license for some seeds. Heck, you need an import license for playing cards.

I would think you could find any seeds on FB; lots of people run small businesses importing and reselling these. Your wife could probably find these in  minute or two.

Again the risk, even with radish seeds, would be quite small, unless you are planning on importing millions of seeds.

I think CP started as a seed company ~ 100 years ago, so maybe your future looks bright?