Basic Q: Are DLs & Reg National or Provincial

A basic question but never had reason to think about it before...but as I've lived outside of Pattaya for over a year now I'm wondering:

1. Are Thai driver licenses considered national or provincial in scope? I know their valid for driving countrywide but if one moves permanently to a province different from where the license was issued, do you have to re-register at the new local DLT office (like one would do if moving to another state in the U.S.

The same question with a car's registration? My registration renewal was a few months after I moved to Phuket and it was handled by one of the local testing/registration shops so I guess nothing as the tax is paid and annual sticker issued here in Phuket (for a Chonburi licensed vehicle).

DL is OK country wide when you renew it you will have your Phuket address put on it. 

Car Regs can just renew yearly you can change the number plate to Phuket if want but don't have to. 

Get your home address in Phuket put in your blue at the local DLT. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

DL is OK country wide when you renew it you will have your Phuket address put on it. 

Car Regs can just renew yearly you can change the number plate to Phuket if want but don't have to. 

Get your home address in Phuket put in your blue at the local DLT. 

Thanks...all good to know.

16 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

There is a law which says you have to change it, but as so many other laws in Thailand, it's not enforced. So nevermind, no need to update it.

One of the joys of Thailand living ????????