With Laos Reopening... Question

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You may be able to get a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for one year from the day it is issued at the consulate in Savannakhet.

Thanks UJ.

I think you answered the question that I really wanted to ask!! ????

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You may be able to get a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for one year from the day it is issued at the consulate in Savannakhet.

By chance..... Would you have at hand a list of paperwork requirements?

4 minutes ago, FARANG KIWI said:

By chance..... Would you have at hand a list of paperwork requirements?

Info is here on the consulate website.

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-o-visiting-family-member-of-a-thai-nationality-a-sp?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453f

• Like 1

@FARANG KIWI Emphasis in Joe's message on "maybe".  I hope he's received some reports for people who have visited Savannakhet for the same purpose recently or he's had some special news from there, but if you don't get the one year Multi Non-O visa, please don't get upset with ubonjoe.  

Also, many of us Non-O expats are anxious to make that trip. Please post a small report if you are successful.

Thank You

A Cowboy from Aggie Land.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

For those that previously obtained multi entry non O based on marriage from Savannakhet, suggest have a plan B just in case.

Even being able to get single entry non-o visa would be worth the trip to be able to stay here longer. Combined with a 60 day extension to visit their wife or child would allow to total stay of 150 days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Even being able to get single entry non-o visa would be worth the trip to be able to stay here longer. Combined with a 60 day extension to visit their wife or child would allow to total stay of 150 days.

Depends where you live. 

Vientiane perhaps more easy option for a non O.

What's needed is one report from someone obtaining ME non O at Savannakhet to decide if it's a goer. 

It doesn't even mention multi-entry on the website, contrary to the HCMC website which DOES mention multi-entry. That being said, they BOTH give a time period of a 90 day visa only. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the former wording, before Covid, about a multi-entry YEAR duration visa? My hopes are fading that the year visas are still around. We can only hope that even though it is not listed that it will, in fact, be available if showing up in person. Watching....as I get my final papers together for my attempt this week at extending my Non-O. Been hell getting the bank stuff together from 4 different banks. Anyway, a different story from a different thread. ....But I digress, as they say!

5 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Been hell getting the bank stuff together from 4 different banks.

Have you checked that immigration will be happy with evidence of funds being from 4 different bank with 4 different bank letters. 

You state ...

"That being said, they BOTH give a time period of a 90 day visa only. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the former wording, before Covid, about a multi-entry YEAR duration visa?"

Yes seems strange. I would have thought the ME non O would have stated visa valid for one year.

Granted it allows stay of 90 days.

Edited by DrJack54

Hi Jack,

No, I'm not sure at all they'll accept it. I will be going first thing tomorrow to check. In the meantime, I have to get all my documents in order just the same as time is short.

My SCB bank did not show any international transfers from Wise, only local. Immigration would not accept the money shown in my account together with the Wise receipts. The only other shot was to get the Credit Advices from the Thai banks that processed the incoming money from abroad and then forwarded it to my SCB account (this info appears on the Wise receipts). Wise happened to use 3 different routes. Up until last December most were going through Bangkok Bank, though one was via Kasikorn. Starting in December, everything went through something called Deemoney in Bangkok who were actually incredibly helpful with online customer service and not only got together the Credit Advice for 8 transfers but also sent a hard copy via post FOR FREE. Amazing.

I will report back here or in another thread tomorrow if it works or not. I won't be surprised if it doesn't....at which point 60-day extension here I come. (The wife is now out of the hospital since Thursday).

On 5/15/2022 at 5:18 AM, ubonjoe said:

I have probably missed something Joe, but does that visa based on marriage to a Thai not last for up to 15 months?

Edited by possum1931

24 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I will report back here or in another thread tomorrow if it works or not. I won't be surprised if it doesn't....at which point 60-day extension here I come

Please do. I think in your example it might depend on the understanding level of the immigration officer.

Good luck. 

If banking is not accepted perhaps you could obtain the 60 day extension to visit wife on the spot. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Please do. I think in your example it might depend on the understanding level of the immigration officer.

Good luck. 

If banking is not accepted perhaps you could obtain the 60 day extension to visit wife on the spot. 

Yes, though I have to get my Kor Ror 2 certified copies for that. Hmm, I should probably get those first and then I can go for the 60 day without having to go back. It's a PITA last week and this with the holidays.

27 minutes ago, possum1931 said:
28 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have probably missed something Joe, but does that visa based on marriage to a Thai not last for up to 15 months?

I'm no Ubon Joe, of course, but in the past, this type of visa could be stretched to 15 months by doing a border run at the very end of the year visa and getting an extra 90 days. But this old type of visa is not mentioned on the websites any longer so it's not looking good.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The visa is valid for 1 year, so yes, if you do a border run just before it expires for another 90-day stay, you get almost 15 months out of it. Even more if you then apply for a 60-day extension to visit your Thai wife. 

Edited by Caldera
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The multi entry visas such as the one in this thread and others such as METV and non O-A.

Stamp you in for certain period while it's still valid.

That's how you can get almost 2 years out of a non O-A and 9 months out of METV and yes up to 15 months out of ME non O by exit and re-enter just prior to it's expiry. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

I'd like to do a border run at some point to "reset" my previous entry that Immigration seems to have issues with on online 90 days reports (would want new TM.6 and whatnot) as I haven't left in 5 years.

would I be correct to assume that at this point if you want to go to Laos by land and come back that one of the two borders would ask for vaccination status or recent tests before letting me in (or even out)?

I mention "out" because I remember one time I was not allowed to leave Thailand to go into Myanmar (a nice wasted 4 hours each way drive), they told me to fly out to Malaysia..

I think they were making sure I had the correct visas or paperwork for Myanmar before letting me through but at that time it was only paying a small fee at the border and sitting in a car while someone sorted the in/out stamps Myanmar side and then driving back.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bamboozled said:

It doesn't even mention multi-entry on the website, contrary to the HCMC website which DOES mention multi-entry. That being said, they BOTH give a time period of a 90 day visa only. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the former wording, before Covid, about a multi-entry YEAR duration visa? My hopes are fading that the year visas are still around. We can only hope that even though it is not listed that it will, in fact, be available if showing up in person. Watching....as I get my final papers together for my attempt this week at extending my Non-O. Been hell getting the bank stuff together from 4 different banks. Anyway, a different story from a different thread. ....But I digress, as they say!

Check this link out,

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/page/visa-fee?menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b400456a

Visa fees at Savannakhet updated and effective 26 April 2022 with a one year Non O multi costing ฿5000

Edited by ozfarang
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

Check this link out,

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/page/visa-fee?menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b400456a

Visa fees at Savannakhet updated and effective 26 April 2022 with a one year Non O multi costing ฿5000

Ozfarang for the win!!! Wow, now THAT looks promising. Best thing I've seen in a long time. Hell ya, see you all in Savannakhet!

Edited by bamboozled

36 minutes ago, kekalot said:

I'd like to do a border run at some point to "reset" my previous entry that Immigration seems to have issues with on online 90 days reports (would want new TM.6 and whatnot) as I haven't left in 5 years.

would I be correct to assume that at this point if you want to go to Laos by land and come back that one of the two borders would ask for vaccination status or recent tests before letting me in (or even out)?

I mention "out" because I remember one time I was not allowed to leave Thailand to go into Myanmar (a nice wasted 4 hours each way drive), they told me to fly out to Malaysia..

I think they were making sure I had the correct visas or paperwork for Myanmar before letting me through but at that time it was only paying a small fee at the border and sitting in a car while someone sorted the in/out stamps Myanmar side and then driving back.

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/page/informationonentrytothailand?menu=5fb3765840deb068cd4414e2

However, what's required for entry into Laos, I'm not sure. Oh, I see the OP had the original link showing that if you are vaccinated, you can enter as before, free and easy. Yay! So the only remaining question is....who's first and what flavor is the pudding?

Edited by bamboozled

Ozfarang for the win!!! Wow, now THAT looks promising. Best thing I've seen in a long time. Hell ya, see you all in Savannakhet!

Does anyone have a link for the required papers for all the visas mentioned on that page ?

I figured I'd continue in this thread as it might be relevant to folk getting a visa in Laos. Does anyone have the status of the border crossing Mae Sai/Tachilek? That's my go-to for doing border bounces with a multi-entry year visa. If that border is not open or not soon to be open with easy in and out, that will make things a lot more cumbersome and expensive for me.

31 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I figured I'd continue in this thread as it might be relevant to folk getting a visa in Laos. Does anyone have the status of the border crossing Mae Sai/Tachilek? That's my go-to for doing border bounces with a multi-entry year visa. If that border is not open or not soon to be open with easy in and out, that will make things a lot more cumbersome and expensive for me.

The Mae Sai crossing is not on the list for getting a Thailand Pass required for entry.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The Mae Sai crossing is not on the list for getting a Thailand Pass required for entry.

Thank you, UJ. That's a bummer. But Savannakhet/Mukdahan is? Is the Thailand Pass expected to be scrapped at some point in the near future? Maybe, just maybe there is an exemption at Mae Sai for day shopping? True, Thailand never got anything out of the deal since there was no entry fee. But it was ok for Myanmar.