Getting a visa or passport to travel overseas may take longer

US passport is taking 8-11 weeks if applied in USA. Priority  services with additional fees taks 5 weeks but I got mine in 3. There are agent assisted services they can get your passport in two days for $650 additional fees. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Article in UK press says many people are not getting new passports within the the 10 week period, phones going un answered or cut off when the do.

Just booked ticket home, economy was reasonable but business class has jumped to crazy levels,      3-4 k ????

• Like 1

Same same in Canada, passport office is swamped, 

They've said if you don't have tickets booked don't apply for a new or renew your passport to take pressure off the system.

Sounds to me like everybody still wants to carry on with the 'work from home fiasco !'

That said, seems pretty daft to me not expecting there to be a severe amount of new travel expected after a pandemic world shut down and not planning to get your passport earlier - after all you were sat at home doing nothing else !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

British nationals can apply or renew their British passports in Thailand. They need to book an appointment through [email protected] and apply in person once the appointment has been set.

Note for UK Passpoert applicants;

If you do not live in or near either Bangkok or Chiang Mai where VFS have there offices you can useually find a reputable agent to do all the work for you, including stamp transfers thereby negating the need for appointments/trips to either city.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Big Bert said:

Article in UK press says many people are not getting new passports within the the 10 week period, phones going un answered or cut off when the do.

Just booked ticket home, economy was reasonable but business class has jumped to crazy levels,      3-4 k ????

Got my UK passport renewal back in 3 weeks and that included the Easter holiday.

I spoke to a UK passport renewal agent in Pattaya last month and he told me he had one customer whose passport took 5 months to receive back in Thailand.

The IPS is a joke with reports in the press that people are on full pay at home spending their time joking about watching Netflix all day. A bloody disgrace.

I'm going to get my visa extension and then apply immediately afterwards and expect the worst possible delay, thereby being effectively in limbo as far as travel is concerned.

41 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Note for UK Passpoert applicants;

If you do not live in or near either Bangkok or Chiang Mai where VFS have there offices you can useually find a reputable agent to do all the work for you, including stamp transfers thereby negating the need for appointments/trips to either city.

That seems strange, I was under the impression you had to attend personally. I know we did to renew my Son's passport a few years ago. Mine expires June 2023. Looks like I may have to apply now!!!

59 minutes ago, Kenny Boy said:

Got my UK passport renewal back in 3 weeks and that included the Easter holiday.

Good stuff, not everyone has the same experience. As the holiday season gets close and people leave to the last minute. Also EU rules about the validity of passports renewed early has pushed the rush for renewals.

• Like 1

It took about 2 1/2 weeks from the time I sent my old passport to the US embassy in Bangkok by EMS for my new US passport (along with the cancelled old one) to be returned to me by EMS. That was exceptionally efficient. I was told that passport renewals from overseas have priority over domestic renewals. 

• Like 1

Governments around the globe are inept and ill-prepared in the best of times. Now after 2 years of Covidiocy, they've dug themselves into self-inflicted pits of unacceptable debt, inflation and utter inadequacy.

Imagine if they ever performed to even a tenth of the level of punctual perfection they insist upon from their tax paying EMPLOYERS (aka citizens)...we'd all be shocked and rather pleased. :coffee1:

• Like 2

A point of interest for U.S. citizens now in Thailand needing a passport renewal……..

Last Thursday I received my new passport via Thai Post EMS from the US Embassy in Bangkok.  The processing time from the day I dropped the application off at DHL in Chiang Mai until the new one arrived was exactly three weeks.

The Embassy website notes that the processing time is 2-3 weeks.  

If you’re in Thailand and needing a new USA passport anytime in the near future….maybe apply for it now.

2 hours ago, Big Bert said:

Which airlines were you looking at for Bus Class I booked one for the end of the month to UK with Qatar less than I paid a couple of years ago

Etithad offering some good deals

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

That seems strange, I was under the impression you had to attend personally. I know we did to renew my Son's passport a few years ago. Mine expires June 2023. Looks like I may have to apply now!!!

So did I. But the problem now with the British Embassy and may be others, they no longer send them back by Mail so if you live like I do a 7 hr+ drive away,  then that means 2 night stay in hotels+ all incurred expenses,  or use an agent to pick it up and then they post it to you. It makes no Rhyme or Reason at all. Anyone know must you apply in person ?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Which airlines were you looking at for Bus Class I booked one for the end of the month to UK with Qatar less than I paid a couple of years ago

Etithad offering some good deals

Weekend 20th May, Northern city's UK. Not too flexible due to work. I have been quite shocked at the prices quoted. Skyscanner and the airline websites. Emirates, Qatar KLM and Etihad.

Edited by Big Bert
Add file

31 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So did I. But the problem now with the British Embassy and may be others, they no longer send them back by Mail so if you live like I do a 7 hr+ drive away,  then that means 2 night stay in hotels+ all incurred expenses,  or use an agent to pick it up and then they post it to you. It makes no Rhyme or Reason at all. Anyone know must you apply in person ?

For British pasports, it is not necessary to personally  attend to apply or pick up the returned passport. There are agents you can have to do it for you. You do however have to deal by post with these agents, unless you happen to live where they are based, and it can take time to ensure everything is in order to be presented to VFS. VFS can sometimes be very nit-picking, especially when it comes to photo size and possible glare from the wearing of glasses.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

For British pasports, it is not necessary to personally  attend to apply or pick up the returned passport. There are agents you can have to do it for you. You do however have to deal by post with these agents, unless you happen to live where they are based, and it can take time to ensure everything is in order to be presented to VFS. VFS can sometimes be very nit-picking, especially when it comes to photo size and possible glare from the wearing of glasses.

5k for an agent and next day delivery, where it would cost me 6 days there and back, hotels,+ up to 3 tanks of fuel each way risking and life and death on the roads, and I would never wear glasses for a passport photo anyway. 

• Like 1

A month ago the wife went to Khon Kaen for a passport renewal. Had to wait in the office all day long. But it came to the house in just two days. Then she goes, "now I get America visa?" Hahaha.

I showed her the NBC Nightly News yesterday. The top stories:

1) 10 dead in supermarket shooting.

2) 20 shot after basketball game.

3) Baby formula shortage.

4) Plane crashes into bridge.

Yeah, we could do to wait at least another year.

Even before this article since my brother plans a trip to BKK to renewal his passport in August expired March 2023, I was thinking of tagging along.

My passport isn't due to Expire October of 2024, can I renewed with how things are going never can be too safe? ????

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Even before this article since my brother plans a trip to BKK to renewal his passport in August expired March 2023, I was thinking of tagging along.

My passport isn't due to Expire October of 2024, can I renewed with how things are going never can be too safe? ????

One can renew a British pasport at anytime. However no credit is given for unexpired time as it used to be

As for "tagging along" with your brother, note that everything at VFS has to be done by appointment - often being fixed 2/3 weeks in advance. Your brother will not be able to just ask for his passport to be renewed when he is there with you.

Check the websites for documents required to renew.............Proof of Thai address being very important, plus of course colour copies of EVERY page of your current British passport  including blanks.,

27 minutes ago, sungod said:

No need, I dropped off and picked up a passport for an old fella who couldn't make the trip.

Only require ID and a letter of authority from the passport holder.  Easy for folks in Bangkok, but not those living hundreds of Kms away

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sounds to me like everybody still wants to carry on with the 'work from home fiasco !'

That said, seems pretty daft to me not expecting there to be a severe amount of new travel expected after a pandemic world shut down and not planning to get your passport earlier - after all you were sat at home doing nothing else !

Sounds to me civil servants want to continue with the pretence of working from home!

"The cost of an adult jumbo 48-page passport is 11,000 THB" > This is no jumbo: why was the 72-page passport never reinstated ? It was always claimed that the UK passport had to be a smaller size under European Law. Now, post-Brexit, we discover that was also a deception. 48 pages are simply too few for anyone renewing visas and travelling frequently.

Edited by Clydesdale