Hotel refuses to accept responsibility after man's wife with prawn allergy nearly dies from buffet

webfact

image.jpeg

Image: Sanook

A husband went on Facebook to explain what happened when he went with his wife to eat at a hotel buffet in Thong Lo, Bangkok.

The wife was interested in the salad and inquired of the waiter about its contents because there was no sign.

She was assured that it was just vegetables and fruit. Pressed on this because she has a prawn allergy the staffer confirmed it was safe for her to eat, he claimed.

However, she soon bit into a whole prawn, half of which she spat out immediately, half of which went down.

She immediately went into shock and was given sugar and an ambulance was called. When they arrived she was unconscious and needed adrenaline shots. 

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

She later recovered in hospital but the husband said they had received no help or apology from the hotel bar a cursory inquiry on Line.

Her health insurance had to be used for the bill at the hospital after the incident at the end of last month.

The hotel refused to have their insurance pay saying there was no legal requirement to display ingredients at a buffet and it was the customer's responsibility.

They further claimed that the waiter was in the process of finding out what was exactly in the dish.

The husband said that if the waiter had just said they didn't know or were not sure his wife would never have touched it.

The area of the buffet in which the conversation occurred was not covered by CCTV and the staffer had "left their job" reported Sanook

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 18

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How did that happen?

Did she close her eyes and just shovel everything in her mouth?

How is it possible not to see a whole prawn?

If there would be some shredded prawn in the sauce which she couldn't see then nobody can expect a person to see that. But not in this case.

That reminds me of the bags of nuts in supermarkets with information on it telling us: This contains nuts. ...

Or medications which say "do not take if you are allergic to any of it's ingredients"   555

I'm a trusting person. I trust that people are in general helpful and true. However, I know that people are also stupid, so if someone hands me a gun saying it's not loaded, I check for myself anyway (that's an analogy, not related to Alec Baldwin, maybe).

Edited by klauskunkel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kingkenny said:

Idvice from a waiter that's probably on a daily contract or filling in is not the person I would accept advice from as to ingredients. 

In a country where it can be considered impolite to say 'no' to a customer... 

She had to know she was taking a chance eating at a buffet...