Hotel refuses to accept responsibility after man's wife with prawn allergy nearly dies from buffet

webfact

17 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No, but there is a legal requirement that their staff do not lie to their customers, and the hotel is responsible for their staff.

Thais never lie, however; they mostly don't tell the complete story, hence that's why we have all these "misunderstandings"

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Try the Surf and Turf.  

I'm vegan and will die if I eat anything called Surf or Turf or Lobster or any meat or anything on a plate!!!  

Special Price, 200 baht.

OK.  

do you graze from a dog bowl instead of a plate?

Get her a pair of reading glasses and note down the entire happening - perfect material for yet another episode of a Thai soap opera. Poor wife, caring helpless husband, confused waiter and arrogant pr1ck of a hotel manager/owner. 

Next please! 

long ago dumb waiter served pork sausages to very orthodox fella. he told it was not pork until it turned otherwise.  That was fun watching the owner (khun german) apologizing. Yes, that beer garden at the end of Soi Cowboy. 

However about this case: I know few very peculiar gentlemen who will be delighted to participate in trial case against that <deleted> hole shop called "hotel" on behalf of that poor lady.
som-nam-na"? I don't think so.

9 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I decided to look it up a few months ago and apparently shrimp are exclusively salt water creatures but prawns live in fresh or brackish water. so maybe the young lady was on to something ????

Shrimp are widespread, and can be found near the seafloor of most coasts and estuaries, as well as in rivers and lakes. There are numerous species, and usually there is a species adapted to any particular habitat.[3] Most shrimp species are marine, although about a quarter of the described species are found in fresh water.[18] Marine species are found at depths of up to 5,000 metres (16,000 ft),[16] and from the tropics to the polar regions. Although shrimp are almost entirely fully aquatic, the two species of Merguia are semi-terrestrial and spend a significant part of their life on land in mangrove.[19][20]

• Like 1

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Was she unconscious or in some sort of drug induced stupor? How does someone who has a deadly allergy to shrimp, chew off half a shrimp, without realizing it? Hello! Earth to shrimp woman. Where have you been? Why such a lack situational awareness?

No idea, better to ask her, not me.

32 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

Hotel refuses to accept responsibility....

Let me guess; In Thailand right....?

Why should the hotel be responsible for the lady eating a prawn? 

Should the hotel be responsible IF the lady had an allergy to and ate rice at a buffet ???

This action placed firm in the realms of disregard for ones own safety, the lady was utterly careless with her own safety when knowing the severity of an allergy and how very common foods such as prawn are in Thailand at any buffet. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Hotel refuses to accept responsibility....

Seems OK to me. The old adage? Buyer beware?

If the lady in question was in "must have" mode but was still unsure, the only person to trust would be the person who prepared it. Whom she did not ask.

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Shrimp are widespread, and can be found near the seafloor of most coasts and estuaries, as well as in rivers and lakes. There are numerous species, and usually there is a species adapted to any particular habitat.[3] Most shrimp species are marine, although about a quarter of the described species are found in fresh water.[18] Marine species are found at depths of up to 5,000 metres (16,000 ft),[16] and from the tropics to the polar regions. Although shrimp are almost entirely fully aquatic, the two species of Merguia are semi-terrestrial and spend a significant part of their life on land in mangrove.[19][20]

interesting. I was just going by what I read in some random website. it said that prawns and shrimp are different species and have different body shapes and egg-laying mechanisms. dunno what's really true, I was just having a laugh hence the winky at the end of my comment ????

here's the article. tl;dr both are very yummy grilled with chili and garlic sauce...

https://www.10best.com/interests/food-culture/shrimp-prawns-different/

27 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

interesting. I was just going by what I read in some random website. it said that prawns and shrimp are different species and have different body shapes and egg-laying mechanisms. dunno what's really true, I was just having a laugh hence the winky at the end of my comment ????

here's the article. tl;dr both are very yummy grilled with chili and garlic sauce...

https://www.10best.com/interests/food-culture/shrimp-prawns-different/

Salt one ones are a lot lot better than fresh ones.

Just now, Ralf001 said:

Salt one ones are a lot lot better than fresh ones.

that's true of most marine critters isn't it? at least according to my taste, not a fan of river fish. I had some gigantic river prawns/shrimp up North one time and they weren't that great. at least I thought they were prawns, maybe they were something else because they were humungous.

13 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

being Aussie, I've long wondered what the difference between prawns and shrimp was. ever since the Paul Hogan "throw a shrimp on the barbie" tourism ad for the US market following his Crocodile Dundee rise to fame (we use the term prawn for both species). 

I decided to look it up a few months ago and apparently shrimp are exclusively salt water creatures but prawns live in fresh or brackish water. so maybe the young lady was on to something ????

clearly you are unable to Google.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Written like someone who wants to blame everyone else for their mistakes !!!...

Do you even bother to look at what goes in your mouth?... you seem not to think about what comes out of of it ? (written in this case). 

If you had a life threatening allergy would you throw caution to the wind, eat at a buffet and blindly believe lowly paid staff ??

This is the dining equivalent of driving through a crossroads without stopping and then blaming the driver of the other car when you have an impact.

Sometimes the ‘victim’ is very much complicit for not taking greater care of themselves - this certainly seems so in this case. 

So you're one then?

1 minute ago, Thunglom said:

clearly you are unable to Google.

jai yen yen bro. see my post from a few minutes ago. going off of what I found from a quick Google search. tbh I don't really care what the difference is as long as they're fresh, grilled and in mah belly.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

we use the term prawn for both species)

Both species? - do you not realise how many species there are? "shrimp and prawn are common names, not scientific names. They are vernacular or colloquial terms which lack the formal definition of scientific terms." - wiki - "he terms shrimp and prawn have no definite reference to any known taxonomic groups." - wiki

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK.. so you are one of those who would blame someone else for poisoning yourself ???

Its always someone else’s fault, right ???....  

Yes you are! A very childish false dichotomy - try to use a bit of critical thinking.

9 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

that's true of most marine critters isn't it? at least according to my taste, not a fan of river fish. I had some gigantic river prawns/shrimp up North one time and they weren't that great. at least I thought they were prawns, maybe they were something else because they were humungous.

Have had those as well.

boil in water until cooked, immediately remove from the pot and immerse them in a bucket full of salted ice water.

Not as good as decent salt prawn/shrimp but damn tasty none the less.

1 minute ago, Thunglom said:

Both species? - do you not realise how many species there are? "shrimp and prawn are common names, not scientific names. They are vernacular or colloquial terms which lack the formal definition of scientific terms." - wiki - "he terms shrimp and prawn have no definite reference to any known taxonomic groups." - wiki

like I said mate, I don't really care as long as they're hot and tasty. oh and if someone else is paying for them cos the big 'uns ain't cheap. 

Just now, Ralf001 said:

Have had those as well.

boil in water until cooked, immediately remove from the pot and immerse them in a bucket full of salted ice water.

Not as good as decent salt prawn/shrimp but damn tasty none the less.

i wouldn't mind heading up that way to have them again. but this time I'll order just the one instead of three, they were massive!

This kind of situation with the server reminds me of a fairly regular happening with my best friend's daughter. She has a severe reaction to MSG. (He is Thai by the way, if that matters). Sometimes he informs the cook directly and sometimes only the waiter, depending on the situation, that his daughter is allergic to MSG and please be sure not to serve anything to their table with it. Sometimes they are even assured that the restaurant doesn't even use MSG and other times they are assured that they will follow his instructions. Nonetheless, I'm sure you know the results on far too often the occasion. And even when they say that they don't use MSG in the restaurant at all! It is truly bizarre. Of course none of them ever take responsibility beyond on occasion the restaurant won't charge them for her meal, but even that very minimal token of regret isn't always proffered. Refusal to take responsibility for ones actions and the whole losing face thing is VERY real. I have no idea how anyone can look at that aspect of the culture without wondering what on earth is up with that!? It can have its place, but it seems that often there is no discernment where the line is on where it should stop and taking responsibility should start. Oh, and you know what is one of the frequent excuses given by the restaurant - something like, "Well, we only put in a little bit"... OMG! Remember, this is all Thai on Thai - no foreigners involved. As so many of the issues in this forum seem to be thought of as issues between Thais and foreigners, usually they are not and happen among themselves just as well.

10 minutes ago, Sig said:

This kind of situation with the server reminds me of a fairly regular happening with my best friend's daughter. She has a severe reaction to MSG. (He is Thai by the way, if that matters). Sometimes he informs the cook directly and sometimes only the waiter, depending on the situation, that his daughter is allergic to MSG and please be sure not to serve anything to their table with it. Sometimes they are even assured that the restaurant doesn't even use MSG and other times they are assured that they will follow his instructions. Nonetheless, I'm sure you know the results on far too often the occasion. And even when they say that they don't use MSG in the restaurant at all! It is truly bizarre. Of course none of them ever take responsibility beyond on occasion the restaurant won't charge them for her meal, but even that very minimal token of regret isn't always proffered. Refusal to take responsibility for ones actions and the whole losing face thing is VERY real. I have no idea how anyone can look at that aspect of the culture without wondering what on earth is up with that!? It can have its place, but it seems that often there is no discernment where the line is on where it should stop and taking responsibility should start. Oh, and you know what is one of the frequent excuses given by the restaurant - something like, "Well, we only put in a little bit"... OMG! Remember, this is all Thai on Thai - no foreigners involved. As so many of the issues in this forum seem to be thought of as issues between Thais and foreigners, usually they are not and happen among themselves just as well.

does she and or family carry an EpiPen?

8 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

No the restaurant is refusing to take responsibility.

and no responsibility of the person with a known severe allergy to protect her own well being by carrying an EpiPen?

Edited by RJRS1301

13 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

Looks like a clear case of you two pi**ing in each others pockets!

If I understand that colloquialism correctly (which I may not, since I read off of a simple Google search and sometimes the answers can be a bit askew - just as I was mentioning about how "news" articles can be askew), I'm not so sure why you'd appear to have a problem with somebody making a comment in agreement with someone? Is it just because it is very different in perspective to many of the hyper-critical comments that it becomes unseemly to support someone that I believe has a valid point from a different perspective than so many vociferous commenters who take what appears to be a strange situation and turning that strangeness against a person who suffered from a mishap rather than attempting to empathize and wonder about how it could have happened to a normal person or if perhaps the article got something wrong and if it were written accurately, suddenly everyone would say, "Oh! well no wonder that happened!"? If you haven't noticed, there have been MANY articles that appeared in this forum that just such things happen.
At any rate, thanks for expanding my vocabulary! That's a pretty funny and expressive colloquialism ????

34 minutes ago, Sig said:

Yeah... I hear you on that one! It seems to be the pastime for MANY who ply the forum here. Apparently nothing better to do with their lives. I guess it makes them feel better about themselves, spouting out of ignorance. Articles like this are very often incomplete and lacking or missing details or just get some things plain wrong. If it seems so far out of the ordinary or strange with no explanation, why assume the worst rather than assume that there's something wrong with this picture? It is telling of much of the expat community here ????

there can only be ONE Mr. Thailand. it's a fight to the death.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

does she and or family carry an EpiPen?

I guess "severe" is a subjective idea. She isn't allergic to the point of death, which I'd call mortal rather than only severe. No, I'm quite sure they don't have such a thing as an EpiPen. I'm not informed enough about that "pen" to know if it should only be used in cases worse than hers or not. I'm guessing some sort of strong antihistamine would be more recommended, which they have. But as I mentioned, I don't know a lot about the subject. I'm not particularly sure how common or affordable or well understood that "pen" is here in Thailand. Of course, if one needed to know, I'm sure the information can readily be found.

31 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

and no responsibility of the person with a known severe allergy to protect her own well being by carrying an EpiPen?

IF the the prawn was pureed up into a soup or sauce etc and was told by the Chef that it was not Prawn the lady would have reasonable grounds for a complaint.

However, she put a prawn in her mouth and ate half of it because she didn’t pay attention and believed a waitress.

I can’t see how the hotel can be held accountable - its like trying to blame the hotel for sticking her own fingers in a plug socket.

• Like 1